E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 M sport steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any cures for this common fault?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 535i Sport, Jet Black

This is a common fault?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Not really. There are several panels in the car that is some cases react to different peoples sweat and lotions etc. Hand sanitizer can also be deadly to a lot of the soft touch paints. If you purchased the car new maybe sit back and noticed how you are driving to see if your hands are in more contact with these areas. If you purchased it used, then the previous owner could have began this process.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

that soft touch paint that BMW uses sucks. it's better on the E60 than other cars, but it still peels after a while.

wrap is the only solution i can think of. maybe BMW should stop painting interior plastics; clearly it doesn't hold up.

good luck, i have a few spots like this in my car too.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

This happened on my wheel after my wife scrapped it with her nails. I peeled the upper right and the middle part of the lower trim, I have the silver trim though. The upper left trim is looking worse than yours but it doesnt wanna peel off. I've been slowly getting it off using my fingernail.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Members

same thing here...window button surrounds...black plastic but clear film like material started peeling...looks aweful when it starts peeling so I had to scrape the whole thing off with my nails.. don't know why BMW uses this material... same material all around the centre console and steering wheel..
Best thing would be to change the whole trim (saw some carbon fibre or brushed aluminium trim parts on ebay) or cover it using 3M material..
Old 08-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

i have the same problem. planning to buy some carbon wrap and cover it, will post some pic if i ever get it done
Old 08-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Members

I've used Plasti-dip on my center trim and it looks good imo. Took the trim out, then sprayed on some oven cleaner and wiped off the old paint...washed w/ soap and water, dried and sprayed it with 3 coats of plasti-dip. Planning on removing the peeling soft touch pain on the window switches and doing them in plasti-dip also. Its beeen several months now since I've done the center trim and its held up quite well!

Has saved me $$$ from buying new trim pieces.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Metallic Silver Grey M Sport Aero Dynamic Kit | M Sport Suspension | Business Navigation | Sports Front Seats | M Sport Leather Steering Wheel | Sunroof | PDC | 18" M Sport Double Spoke Light Alloy | M Spoiler | LCI Tail Light | HID 6000K 2010 Mazda CX9 Aluminium Metallic

same problem. I've just decided to peel off the whole section and also on the other side of the steering wheel. It gives you a different look to the wheel. I'd say this is the easiest to do if you don't want to bother wrapping it. There is no other way of solving it as it has already started peeling and it won't stop now.

good luck
Old 08-20-2012, 03:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i Sport Pkg. Stock, for now...

try plastidip if you are looking for an OEM look; it's in the right neighborhood. i haven't removed my driver's side panel, but i tried it on the center console stuff to black it all out. its only been a few weeks but so far its holding up. matte black vinyl would be the other option, and could be worth looking in to. however, my whole center console took me about 30 minutes to remove, spray, reinstall (excluding dry time)

Quick Reply: E60 M sport steering wheel