E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 LCI 2008 Adaptive Headlights Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I want to get the AHL retrofit on my E60 LCI 2008 along with the headlight washer system.

Can anyone advise if it can be done?

If it can be done, does it involve some new wiring, and/or changing the entire headlights or is there some type of component installation between the wires and the headlights?

Does the headlamp cleaning system come separately or is it part of the AHL?

Is the cornering light part of the AHL or is it something separate?

Would appreciate any kind inputs since I am confused!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Members

ive got these on my new merc, they are fantastic and although i no longer notice the i think i would really miss them if they were taken away. Sounds like an expensive retrofit though!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Members

beep beep!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Anything can be done if you willing to do it ... so let see how to attempt to do both of your plan. What's kind of headlight you have Halogen or Xenon?

Washer system is not part of AHL. Cornering light is part of AHL.

You'll need new headlights that is AHL capable (Headlight that is adaptive capable has 'Adaptive' wording around the ring of the Xenon lens)
You'll need wiring from both headlights to the LCM which control the stepper motor. You may need new LCM that is AHL aware.
You'll need a new AHL module for each headlight (another reason you need AHL headlight 'cuz otherwise no plug for AHL module under the headlight)
You may need new steering sensor since it's the one that make the adaptive lights turning and maybe also the new headlight cabin switch.

Among all of them (maybe more) probably coding is the easiest part.

GL!

Originally Posted by Atif_khalid
Hey,

I want to get the AHL retrofit on my E60 LCI 2008 along with the headlight washer system.

If it can be done, does it involve some new wiring, and/or changing the entire headlights or is there some type of component installation between the wires and the headlights?

Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Anything can be done if you willing to do it ... so let see how to attempt to do both of your plan. What's kind of headlight you have Halogen or Xenon?

Washer system is not part of AHL. Cornering light is part of AHL.

You'll need new headlights that is AHL capable (Headlight that is adaptive capable has 'Adaptive' wording around the ring of the Xenon lens)
You'll need wiring from both headlights to the LCM which control the stepper motor. You may need new LCM that is AHL aware.
You'll need a new AHL module for each headlight (another reason you need AHL headlight 'cuz otherwise no plug for AHL module under the headlight)
You may need new steering sensor since it's the one that make the adaptive lights turning and maybe also the new headlight cabin switch.

Among all of them (maybe more) probably coding is the easiest part.

GL!
Yes, I am willing to do it!

I currently have the standard halogens on 'em.

I spoke to the BMW Dealer here - they declined the thought saying that BMW doesn't offer this as a retrofit option on my vehicle!

As I understand, I will need the AHL, wiring kit, a new LCM, AHL module and a steering sensor.... where do I get these from and what should I search for?

Thanks a million for all the help.

Cheers
Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

You'll also need a few body sensors that monitor suspension height and activity. I am not sure if there is an SZL specific for AHL or not - seems the steering angle is constantly monitored by a few systems in the car, so I don't see why that wouldn't carry over.

I really don't imagine this would be a cost or skill prohibitive venture as many of the E90 and E46 guys have already gone down this road.

Check out realoem.com for specific parts needed, also look at WDS (google WDS) for the specific wiring path's.

Once you have collected a list of the parts needed, you'll find them all online, used for a fraction of retail cost. Now that the E60 is aging - junk yards are like a toy store to me
Old 01-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Sublime
You'll also need a few body sensors that monitor suspension height and activity. I am not sure if there is an SZL specific for AHL or not - seems the steering angle is constantly monitored by a few systems in the car, so I don't see why that wouldn't carry over.

I really don't imagine this would be a cost or skill prohibitive venture as many of the E90 and E46 guys have already gone down this road.

Check out realoem.com for specific parts needed, also look at WDS (google WDS) for the specific wiring path's.

Once you have collected a list of the parts needed, you'll find them all online, used for a fraction of retail cost. Now that the E60 is aging - junk yards are like a toy store to me
Against my VIN Number, realoem doesn't show AHL Retrofit as an option?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=63&fg=95
Old 12-11-2015, 08:24 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 525d (E60) M Sport LCi

Hey Atif_khalid, I know its been a few years now. How did this retrofit go? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I already have the AHL Headlights.

Originally Posted by Atif_khalid
Hey,

Old 12-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by larriebee
Hey Atif_khalid, I know its been a few years now. How did this retrofit go? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I already have the AHL Headlights.
That member has not posted on the board in over three years.

It's a crap shoot when you revive an old thread.