E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 530i no crank, no instrument panel.. PLEASE HELP :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:17 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i e60 N52 engine
Default '06 530i no crank, no instrument panel.. PLEASE HELP :(

Hi guys 1st post ever.. I'm not even sure if this is the right forum. I hope it is...I'm hoping a genious can save me some $ by avoiding the stealership and learn more about my beautiful ultimate driving machine ?..Very grateful if anyone can help!!

So 2 weeks ago my nightmare started..My car started intermittently starting and misifiring when I accelerate at all..Codes for crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensors, and vanos solenoids popped up when i hooked it up to the scanner..(as well as misfiring on like 4 cilinders but just got 6 coils and plugs so probably sensor related)..Sounds like I have a timing issue right?
K so I order those parts and last night she dies while driving..Now I know I'm not supposed to do this, but I would just turn it off and restart (while moving) because it would always restart while moving, after putting in neutral and touching the brakes and hitting the button, and then it wouldnt misfire, assumingly because the computer reset..
Here's the real bad part.. Last night, instead of restarting, not only would it not start, it won't even CRANK...SO I towed it home..I just got canned from my job, so I have all day to figure this out as my car sits in front the house...
One more thing...and my most IMMEDIATE concern...after getting the car towed home, about an hour later, I tried to start it, and now the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER IS OUT, and everything else still gets power..Everything..
I've checked fuses, battery, codes wont scan im assuming (checked them 2 days ago but will try again tomorrow), and I'm STUCK..
Today I got a brand new battery and found a lose engine ground I bolted to engine mount lip (correct place right)? STILL SAME ISSUES

Can anyone save me?! Thank you for listening...
Old 11-09-2017, 10:09 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

It sounds like an earring problem
Make sure your earth in the boot is clean and tight and your positive lead

Keep us up to date with what you do and what is and isn’t working
Old 11-10-2017, 05:45 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

If it's throwing a CPS code, I'd put in a new one. I had one fail. When the CPS is intermittent (mine was), the engine relies on cam sensors to keep running but runs at low power, rough, and takes longer to start.

That said, I agree with E60Japanese to be sure all your grounds and other battery cabling is tight and clean.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 AM
New Members

Thanks guys..my starter, cranksensor, camsensors and, vanos solenoids just came in so my car is pieces (cant get this damn manifold COMPLETELY out (some tube at the bottom and the inside screw supporting the worong harness are a bitch to get off) so I guess im gonna change my starter with the manifold pushed aside.

will keep you guys updated

My main concern will HOPEFULLY be this instrument cluster after putting these parts in, hopefully
Old 11-10-2017, 10:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: 04 545i, 6speed manual, sport package seats.
Model Year: 2004

any water in the spare tire well or battery location?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:19 PM
New Members

QoloR....no but thanks i checked on that...

Funny thing is i have NO boxes under my spare AT ALL...
SO WEIRD..ANY IDEAS ON THAT?

BUT ANYWAY..PROGRESS
Alright guys earth and positive leads are good...
We installed new starter and cranksensor and BAM..

SHES CRANKING..CLEANLY
CRANKING..NOT STARTING
NOW I JUST NEED HER TO START LOL

My mechanic is 90% sure its the cam sensors that will be in tomorrow so , unless you guys have any other ideas (uts getting fuel , I will update as to if the cam sensors start the car...

just SO relieved to hear more than a click ckick when i hit the button as of now..progress!!
Old 11-11-2017, 03:38 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by qoloR
any water in the spare tire well or battery location?
Quolo...nope... checked that.... you know, I JUST got a brand new autozone bmw approved battery (2nd new one in as many weeks) ..I thought the ibs unplugged would solve this, but today, after having this one for 3 days, car not running
, ibs unplugged, it's DEAD AGAIN!! NEW BATTERY ��
ANY IDEAS?

btw i talked to an instrument cluster company today that asked if I jumped my bmw recently..i said "yea the day it died, same day the instrument panel went out" ... he said "yeah you fried your instrument panel, bmw are very sensitive to voltage and jumping a car can fry it"....OK THEN...

He also said if i unplug it my car may start..No luck, only founds my battery dying

anybody need an 06 530i instrument cluster for parts?! You can HAVE it

Last edited by loveandhate530i; 11-11-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:07 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60 msport
Model Year: E60
Engine: 2.5

Try unplugging the ibs cable
Old 11-15-2017, 03:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Have you tested the fuel pump and MAF sensor?

Originally Posted by loveandhate530i
QoloR....no but thanks i checked on that...

Funny thing is i have NO boxes under my spare AT ALL...
SO WEIRD..ANY IDEAS ON THAT?

BUT ANYWAY..PROGRESS
Alright guys earth and positive leads are good...
We installed new starter and cranksensor and BAM..

SHES CRANKING..CLEANLY
CRANKING..NOT STARTING
NOW I JUST NEED HER TO START LOL

My mechanic is 90% sure its the cam sensors that will be in tomorrow so , unless you guys have any other ideas (uts getting fuel , I will update as to if the cam sensors start the car...

just SO relieved to hear more than a click ckick when i hit the button as of now..progress!!

Last edited by E60I; 11-15-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:48 PM
New Members

Yes I unplugged the ibs thanks...ANd I got a new air fiter and pump, but we found the pump to be good so I put the old one back in

UPDATE:

The instrument cluster was a fuse lol..My fuse chart says its #18...BME tech said it was fuse #41 which I removed cu I didn't think I needed it,,Put a new fuse in and instrument cluster working

Also, my mechanic felt the new crankshaft position sensor wasn't getting a good connection..So he hardwired it and sure enough it started right up...First try every time ,but after 3 seconds or so,...So, I got 2 new cam sensors...And now it starts IMMEDIATELY, and all codes went away, so I thought I was home free..Until I started driving it...Lordy...Back to where I was when the issues started..Driving like CRAP...Misfiring (even at idle now), no acceleration, no uphill speed, just overall runs shitty..

MAF huh? How do I test that? Not sure if this helps, but I'm trying to see if its the fuel pump..But I just got 2 new lock rings (fuel was leaking out the top of the pump and onto the ground after pumping more than half a tank....SO the new lock rings stopped the leaking (havent tried pumping a whole tank yet} , and I have good fuel pressure, so I FEEL the pump is good, BUT when I hit the gas, THE MPG gage goes down (lower mpg), which tells me the engine is getting gas, but the car goes no faster..If anything it bogs down..Any ideas? Thanks