E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 interior wood trim crack

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyb635
OUCH!

You could try to take a dremmel and clean it out then add something strong like jb weld to fill it. This all provided the metal backing is stable... After this, sand the area with wet 240 and then 320 to level the welded area. I think at this point it would be fine for wrapping. I would guess this would be your only hope in salvaging this.

Another option you might try is a fiberglass repair, something like tigerhair. A glass resin with fibers. I would recommend to expand the damaged area with a small grinder in a V shape tapering out about one inch on either side. Mix the tiger hair and apply it to the area. Try not to get it too high because this just adds more work for ya. You can use a body cheese grader once the material becomes semi-hard to get it near level. sand with 100 dry and re-apply if needed. Probably two coats. Finish sand with 180 dry and apply primer. Once primer drys hit it with the 320-400 wet.

When sanding use a 3m sanding block to keep the area flat. Otherwise you have finger and wave marks from your hand.

I think this will work just fine IF you are wrapping...
thx men but guess what i just parked my car outside under this hot sun in claifornia 101 degrees i just got naother crack on it FML
Old 08-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Can you feel the crack with your fingernail? If not, I would just wrap over it. If you can feel it, I would repair it the same way I would any wood repair. In this case, bacuae it will be wrapped, I would try just covering the crack with a line of wood glue and smear it in with your finger and clean up the area with a damp cloth. Sand it smooth and wrap it!

It has a backing on it to help keep the wood stable so the glue should do OK. If it were a solid piece of wood, the glue wouldn't do becuse the wood would expand and shrink and the crack would become visible again.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

3M di-noc is really thick stuff, wrap it and you'll be fine. I've covered worse.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Can you feel the crack with your fingernail? If not, I would just wrap over it. If you can feel it, I would repair it the same way I would any wood repair. In this case, bacuae it will be wrapped, I would try just covering the crack with a line of wood glue and smear it in with your finger and clean up the area with a damp cloth. Sand it smooth and wrap it!

It has a backing on it to help keep the wood stable so the glue should do OK. If it were a solid piece of wood, the glue wouldn't do becuse the wood would expand and shrink and the crack would become visible again.
i actually can but just a little bit and sorry i have no experience working with wood but thx or the tip
Old 08-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Sublime
3M di-noc is really thick stuff, wrap it and you'll be fine. I've covered worse.
thx alot the place ima take it to i will ask them because they charge 100 dollars to remove the wood trim and 150 for carbon fiber im guessing it wont show i will go monday since they are closed sundays thx for the help guys
Old 08-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Originally Posted by bmwe39
thx alot the place ima take it to i will ask them because they charge 100 dollars to remove the wood trim and 150 for carbon fiber im guessing it wont show i will go monday since they are closed sundays thx for the help guys
If you're saying they will wrap all your trim for $250 total, I consider that a bargain. I did mine and the material alone was half that (with the cost of the heat gun and my over-estimation of the needed amount of vinyl). After burning my fingers and wasting an afternoon - I had marginally successful results. Next time I go to the pro's.

Go for it and post pics
Old 08-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Sublime
If you're saying they will wrap all your trim for $250 total, I consider that a bargain. I did mine and the material alone was half that (with the cost of the heat gun and my over-estimation of the needed amount of vinyl). After burning my fingers and wasting an afternoon - I had marginally successful results. Next time I go to the pro's.

Go for it and post pics
me and my friend did that on his E39 LOL it took us hours and i will once im done with it
Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is heat causing the cracks? Definitely get your car tinted ASAP, it not only looks cooler but literally results in a cooler interior... Good luck, I have the exact same interior you do. I don't have cracks, but my driver's side door grip trim piece need to be replaced due to chips and broken a clip when the previous owner tried to access the driver's side door interior through it.