E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

is E60 interior ventilation "efficient"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520i E60
Default is E60 interior ventilation "efficient"?

I had before E60 an e46 and a Z3.

Don't like so much air conditioned, so when in summer I always used the "normal" air, more or less fast. Even if hotter, the "natural" external air was always enough for me.

that was for my previous cars...with E60 the ventilation seems always poor, even if at fast (and loud) vent speeds. with 2nd-3rd speed air from frontal duct is not so much, I'm used to "feel" air in the face. with E60...is not so easy, at maximum flux from the central ducts too. and in the rear, is almost impossible to "feel" air from ducts, is a very very very poor air mass. is common in yours, or maybe is only my imrpession? comaprisons with other cars?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

Best thing to do is use the auto climate control with A/C on and set it to the temp you want and it will adjust as it gets hotter or colder. "Natural" air from the vents will not be enough in the summer.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 535d Sport

I haven't found any problems with the E60 ventilation, but then my summer isn't as hot as yours.

When were the cabin/pollen filters last changed?. If they are old and clogged up that will reduce airflow.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:58 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by KLR4LIFE
Best thing to do is use the auto climate control with A/C on and set it to the temp you want and it will adjust as it gets hotter or colder. "Natural" air from the vents will not be enough in the summer.
don't like AC because with frequent start and stops it "smells" of humidity, and even if set at high temperature tends to make me cough.

is not an air temperature matter, but an air quantity matter.
the pollin filter was changed last service, maybe I can try to clean it
Old 06-25-2014, 04:50 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

1. Change your cabin filter and clean out the vents under the filter housing both inbound and out bound - This should correct the musty smell and air quality issues as well as poor performance.
2. Change your the AC belt and pulley ( change both while at it) if they are cracked, worn, and above 50k- Made a huge difference in AC overall performance.

Prior to the above work being done i pretty much suffered the same issues you all described. Since last week the AC in my E60 blows very cold within 5 or 7 seconds in slow traffic and the air is odorless. On the highway its numbing cold and will freeze your hands if vents are pointing towards the wheel. Be cool
Old 06-25-2014, 05:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 550i sport pkg 6MT

I think some missed the point. The OP wants to use the fan and vents but not turn on compressor. HE desires a large airflow since the a/c is not used.

The other thing to check since you want air in your face is to go into i Drive and adjust air distribution by decreasing the air flow to upper and lower discharge and going full bar scale to face vents.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:30 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by abe76247
I think some missed the point. The OP wants to use the fan and vents but not turn on compressor. HE desires a large airflow since the a/c is not used.

The other thing to check since you want air in your face is to go into i Drive and adjust air distribution by decreasing the air flow to upper and lower discharge and going full bar scale to face vents.
exactly

the "issue", if an issue is, is that to have a "decent" airflow I need to turn at medium-high speed, approx half of the total...and so the fan turn (obiously) noisy. even if the whole flux on the front.
on E46 and Z3 the lower speed was most of cases enough..
Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 PM
New Members

Props....

Originally Posted by resunoiz
exactly

the "issue", if an issue is, is that to have a "decent" airflow I need to turn at medium-high speed, approx half of the total...and so the fan turn (obiously) noisy. even if the whole flux on the front.
on E46 and Z3 the lower speed was most of cases enough..

May your vehicle run in optimized conditions when ignition faces the end of school day
and wind blows above and underneath in same direction...
Old 06-26-2014, 05:14 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Notheld
Props....

May your vehicle run in optimized conditions when ignition faces the end of school day
and wind blows above and underneath in same direction...
what?
Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by resunoiz
what?

Bingo!

Quick Reply: is E60 interior ventilation "efficient"?