E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 - HUD issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:25 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i e60 msports
Thumbs down E60 - HUD issues

Hey All,
My 2008 550i HUD is either dead or on its way out
Over the past year the symptoms have got worse,

Started occasionally not working after not using the car for a couple of days, though after a medium trip 20k's~ it would magically work again

Now if i dont drive it for a day or 2, it again has issues,

Now for the past week i have not driven the car, and low and behold it doesnt work.. though after 50-100k's of driving its still dead...

* Its not the button
* its not wearing sunnies

I do NOT see the flap move when i press the power on button

Soooo going forward,
If i was to ebay a HUD, would i Be able to use it, or does it need to be programmed?
Guessing whole dash needs to come out to replace it
Costs involved ?

Could i upgrade it to an M5 hud with tacho ?

Cheers in advance
Old 02-16-2017, 04:13 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

First step in diagnosing something like the HUD, is getting codes pulled. That should give you a general direction. It might and might not need coding. I have no experience with that. But what i can tell you is the M5 HUD is the same unit you have, what changes is the coding on the module and on your CCC. You can code your existing HUD to act like an M5 HUD. I've seen a couple threads about it.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I'd like to have my HUD recoded to show what gear I'm in. A tach too you say? Yes please.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Engine: N54

I have programmed my HUD to show the gear and a tach with color coded temp gauge.

The red/yellow/green temp gauge changes the MAX rpm as the engine heats up.

Definitely start with checking for diagnostic codes. Pulling out that dash does not seem very fun.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: e60 530i

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I have programmed my HUD to show the gear and a tach with color coded temp gauge.

The red/yellow/green temp gauge changes the MAX rpm as the engine heats up.

Definitely start with checking for diagnostic codes. Pulling out that dash does not seem very fun.
Is it possible M view Hud for a pre-lci car? I have a 2005 530i, I've installed a lot of equipments to my car( cic, climatised comfort seats, f1 paddle M5 steering wheel, rear camera and hud) The hud shows M tacho for 30 seconds then turns to normal. I can see the navigation from the hud but couldn't solve the M issue even though I select M view from cic. If there is a trick, I'd be appreciated. All I heard is due to some module ( KGM or something) does not exist in the pre-lci cars it is not possibe. Or is it?
Old 03-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Aykutalp
Is it possible M view Hud for a pre-lci car? I have a 2005 530i, I've installed a lot of equipments to my car( cic, climatised comfort seats, f1 paddle M5 steering wheel, rear camera and hud) The hud shows M tacho for 30 seconds then turns to normal. I can see the navigation from the hud but couldn't solve the M issue even though I select M view from cic. If there is a trick, I'd be appreciated. All I heard is due to some module ( KGM or something) does not exist in the pre-lci cars it is not possibe. Or is it?
Impressive retrofits on your car!

What coding techniques did you use on the HUD?

I don't really have much advice other than if you have done a full NCS coding try that. Not just pick a specific module, but do a code on everything with blank .man file.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:11 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Impressive retrofits on your car!

What coding techniques did you use on the HUD?

I don't really have much advice other than if you have done a full NCS coding try that. Not just pick a specific module, but do a code on everything with blank .man file.
Actually I do the installation and my friend makes the programming and coding, he uses Nsc expert, Inpa and Ista/d-p, we made the installation for both of our cars (this weekend the logic7 will be installed) Coding is necessary only for navi info, signals etc. So than M view is only permanent for cars using SGM instead of KGM which happens to be LCI cars (cappl module-Hud_m, cappl module-Mdrive and hud module-M sport Hud, is not enough)

Last edited by Aykutalp; 03-22-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:00 AM
New Members

And finally the last retrofit for my car...

E60 - HUD issues-whatsapp-image-2017-03-25-19.45.20.jpeg

E60 - HUD issues-whatsapp-image-2017-03-27-10.58.27.jpeg