5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   E60 from hell... (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/e60-hell-149246/)

Ifreezebmx562 01-11-2019 02:19 AM

E60 from hell...

hello everybody! I’ve been wondering if someone could possibly give me some type of clue as to what’s going on with my car...

it all started when one day I came to my car being dead. Tried to turn it over and nothing. So I waited 30 minutes then tried again and it turned over but it was in limp mode. So I changed my battery it was good for 2 days then died again so I got a new battery. After the new battery it wouldn’t turn over one night so I changed my fuel pump relay. That only worked for 2 days then it died again so I changed my
alternator. Drive it for about a day I come home to it smelling like burnt wires so I drive it just see what it is and it started popping codes my dash ways going crazy my car wouldn’t stay on so now I’m sitting here scratching my eyes out trying to figure out why my car smells like burnt wires and doesn’t run. ALSO BEFORE ALL THIS MY HORN RANDOMLY GOES OFF. yes my horn literally randomly goes off , doesn’t matter if I’m sitting driving day/night cold/hot it goes off randomly and I noticed this before all this happened to my car... if someone could please tell me what to look for or do it would be a life saver!

Ifreezebmx562 01-11-2019 02:22 AM

JayArras 01-11-2019 03:31 AM

Did you just acquire this vehicle? Where did you buy it? From your story, it sounds like a flood car that was restored. The electronics are the first thing to go haywire when they are exposed to water.

Giubo 01-11-2019 09:05 AM

There was a recall regarding the battery plus cable once. You should check this immediately especially if you do smell it already! If I remember correctly it was a worldwide recall because the plus cable got contact to the trunk cable inlet.

Could be just an IBS problem also but if you smell burned cables there ARE burning cables. Act fast!

All the codes are because of the voltage drop - don't worry.

zoom750 01-11-2019 10:37 AM

Is your location Lakewood, NJ? It rained alot in NJ recently.

Have you checked your trunk to see if any water has collected in there and affected your electronic modules? They are located underneath the spare tire.

Ifreezebmx562 01-11-2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by JayArras (Post 1598392)
Did you just acquire this vehicle? Where did you buy it? From your story, it sounds like a flood car that was restored. The electronics are the first thing to go haywire when they are exposed to water.

I’ve actually had the car for about 4 years and no problems with it at all

Ifreezebmx562 01-11-2019 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by zoom750 (Post 1598398)
Is your location Lakewood, NJ? It rained alot in NJ recently.

Have you checked your trunk to see if any water has collected in there and affected your electronic modules? They are located underneath the spare tire.

I’m Lakewood CA. And no I havnt checked my trunk! I will look right now!

Ifreezebmx562 01-11-2019 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Giubo (Post 1598396)
There was a recall regarding the battery plus cable once. You should check this immediately especially if you do smell it already! If I remember correctly it was a worldwide recall because the plus cable got contact to the trunk cable inlet.

Could be just an IBS problem also but if you smell burned cables there ARE burning cables. Act fast!

All the codes are because of the voltage drop - don't worry.

I’ve checked my vin to see if I have any recalls and I haven’t seen anything. I’ll check again

Rookiemistake 01-17-2019 03:08 AM

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. your fuses, breakers, relays must be looked at. Do you have a Factory Service Manual?

seanjordan20 01-17-2019 05:02 AM

What brand alternator did you get? Have it checked to makes sure it is not a bad alternator