E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 headlights auto-mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

Last month, I sent a PM (see below) to Rudy to learn more about our E60's Adaptive Headlights. Rudy, quite properly chastised me for not putting my question(s) up on the net.

So here Goes:

1) I have noticed that my headlights oftentimes turn on as early as 4PM (sunset in Connecticut is 8:24 PM) when the sky is clear and bright, yet the lights do not come on as early when it is cloudy, not even when the sky is dark with storm clouds. That may have something to do with a lessened contrast as seen by the rain-sensor. The following paragraph on the subject can be found on Page-3 of 63 02 03 (007) ? the PDF document that Rudy referenced (see: [attachment=25112:attachment]).

Rain-light sensor for automatic driving lights control

The rain-light sensor measures the ambient light conditions outside the vehicle.

? As it starts to get dark, the rain-light sensor sends the message "Twilight" to the light module. The light module informs the adaptive headlights control unit so that the automatic headlight-range adjustment of the dipped-beam headlights can e activated. The headlights are tilted up and down as required, but they are not yet swiveled towards the bend in the road.

? In darkness, the rain-light sensor sends the message "Darkness" to the light module. The light module sends the relevant information to the adaptive headlights control unit. The headlights are swiveled as necessary.

[more ...]

I would find it interesting to see what the [more ...] comments are as found

2) On Page-4 the light module is discussed. It makes interesting reading ? I wonder what is said in its [more ...] section?
Light module

? On the E60, the light module (LM) controls and monitors all vehicle lights. Information is transmitted and received via the KCAN data bus.

? The light module actuates the indicator light for the adaptive headlights (on the light switch).

[more ...]
3) Page-9 the document (63 02 03 (007)) discusses encoding and diagnostics. I would be good to read the referenced documents as well.

Notes for service staff
Warning: Exercise caution when working on bi-xenon headlights

Whenever inspecting or working on the headlights, always observe the safety precautions and accident prevention rules.

The headlight system carries dangerous high voltages.
? General notes: [more ...]
? Diagnostics:[more ...]
? Encoding/programming: [more ...]
Would it be possible for me/us to reference these items as well.

Thanks

See the Attached Quote from our earlier PMs:

Message Forwarded From Rudy

John,

I found one document that may be of interest to you but it deals primarily with the adaptive part of the headlights (which is obviously the most sophisticated.)

I think you'll find this information interesting...

[attachment=25112:attachment]In the future, don't hesitate to post these types of requests in the public forums so that other people can benefit from reading this stuff too.

Have fun!

Rudy

Rudy:

You were so helpful to Peter530i in regard to his air pollution sensor. I read your PDF file [air_conditioning_system__IHKA___Basic_and_High_E60 _.pdf ( 206.85k )]and found it fascinating! I NEVER suspected how smart the IHKA in our E60/61s is!

I was wondering ? is there a similar write-up on the headlight system. I have HID adaptive lights and it would be nice to know all the parameters going into the automatic operation.

Thanks for everything ? you are a continual font of information.
Hopco / John
Old 07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Nice to know Rudy has the the Forum's back. Thanks to both of you, an interesting read
Old 07-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 540i Carbon Blk/ Black Dakota/Alu, 6 Sp Steptronic, Pro Navigation, PDC, M-Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Elec Sunroof, Style 166 19"

Hopco,

My '06 540 has this irritating problem too (amongst others). I went back to the dealer a week or so back for 3 days and this was one issue they were to fix. When I picked it up the TA said its something to do with the "blue sky effect" and needed adjustment. Sounds good hey. When I left the dealership ~15:00 on a beautiful sunny day, they were still on and have remained that way since.

10 years ago I had a Pontiac with this feature that worked flawlessly. Personally, I think BMW has lost the plot and is incapable of making all the new technology work reliably.

This is my 3rd successive 5er and my last I think. Let me know if you have any luck getting it sorted!

Cheers
Oz540
Old 07-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'll try my best to update the document and link the [more] areas but it often takes a ton of time so don't hesitate to remind me if I don't get it done in a day or so.

As far as the automatic lights turning on early, you can read about my latest "theory" on why this is happening by clicking the following link:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=292308

The more I watch the lights work, the more convinced I am that it's working as designed...
Old 07-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18

Thanks Rudy . . . You are a gem!

I have also noticed that the automatic headlight system cycles the low beams on and off when driving through shadows from a canopy of trees. I wonder if this cycling has any deleterious effect over time on the light bulbs, starters or ballasts?

Also, I agree with the comment by ImolaRedM (see Rudy's link to 292308) that activating the wipers should also turn on the headlights. I know that is the law in the state of New York to turn one?s lights on when your wipers are operating, - and I think it makes sense everywhere else.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hopco' post='308303' date='Jul 8 2006, 12:38 PM
Also, I agree with the comment by ImolaRedM (see Rudy's link to 292308) that activating the wipers should also turn on the headlights. I know that is the law in the state of New York to turn one?s lights on when your wipers are operating, - and I think it makes sense everywhere else.
Could this be because the running lights are on and considered good enough if it is not actually dark enough to activate headlights?
Old 07-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The mother of all documents covering the adaptive headlights has just been posted in the Technical Gallery:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...si&img=6187

Enjoy it!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

To the complainers...

It may seem obvious, but in case anyone overlooked it - the amount of dirt on the windshield would directly impact (and likely skew) the measurements used to determine when the lights should come on. Documentation also specifies that a heating unit is incorporated to ensure that the sensor doesn't "mist over" since there is a mini atmosphere inside the base of the rearview mirror where it meets the windshield. Despite this precaution, I would imagine that in certain circumstances there may be some misting that obfuscates the sensor's view. Even if the situation gets remedied by the heating unit quickly, it might cause some odd behavior from time to time.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Rudy!

That was a lot of work ? vielen Dank. I almost learned more than I wanted about adaptive headlights.

However, I found the comments on Page 2 of the Rain-Light sensor sub-document (13.07.2006 2:38) most interesting:

Driving light sensor
The driving light sensor works as follows:
  • The two photodiodes record the light incidence from the front (frontal light intensity) and from above (surrounding brightness).
The photodiodes work when terminal R is ON, regardless of whether or not the automatic driving lights control is switched on.

• If lighting conditions change, the driving light sensor transmits a signal through the K-CAN data bus to the light module.
  • The light module switches the driving lights on or off To do this, the automatic driving lights control must be activated (light switch in switch position "A").
  • The adaptive headlights are also activated when the rain-light sensor detects darkness. The headlights are swiveled in bends. The threshold values from which the rain-light sensor detects "darkness" are stored in the rain-light sensor.
The driving lights sensor is encoded with the encoding data for the series during the encoding procedure.

The sensitivity of the driving light sensor can be set to one of 2 settings with the Car & Key Memory.

It's this last sentence that may give a clue to the headlights turning on earlier than one would expect. A wrong setting here may bring on the problems that oz540 complains of. As someone noted in another thread the Driving Light sensor does perceived the light incidence ("two photodiodes record the light incidence from the front . . . and from above").

I for one am going to ask my SA about the Driving Light Sensor Settings.