E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 had a meltdown...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05' 545i Sport Sapphire Black

$400!?!?!!! My battery died last week. Went to Advance Discount Auto Parts and bought a battery for $139 with a three year warranty AND they installed it for me. It took about 20 minutes while I waited in the parking lot.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by smoak' post='873460' date='May 9 2009, 10:25 AM
$400!?!?!!! My battery died last week. Went to Advance Discount Auto Parts and bought a battery for $139 with a three year warranty AND they installed it for me. It took about 20 minutes while I waited in the parking lot.
I broke down and bought the Johnson Rod thanks to Member FlyingPuck's recommendatin (at Post #17 above). No problems now. Take a serious look at it. Once in awhile a new product comes along that is really worth the price -not like the Maintenance insurance. Every Maintenance contract I have ever reviewed is full of holes large enough to drive a truck through.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Contributors

A similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. But I was on a entrance ramp to I-77 in Charlotte. I'd got onto the throttle pretty good in third, just a bit of a curve in the road...and then everything went crazy. I lost dynamic drive, active steering, traction control, ABS, the i-drive went blank, speedo and tach went to zero and the audible warnings were insane.

I stayed in the right lane, exited and stopped in the parking lot of a Wendy's, grabbed a drink, got back in the car and turned the key...everything but the dynamic drive worked fine. I made it home and called my dealer for an appointment the next morning. Got to the car and turned it on...everything worked fine. I took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gotabyte' post='872243' date='May 8 2009, 11:06 AM
Same thing happened with my X5. Alternator went bad. The sad thing was that there was no indication the alternator was going bad until the dash lit up with all the malfunctions. There should be better monitoring to let you know when the alternator goes bad. I barely made it into my driveway with no headlights at night when mine went.

You would think that an alternator would become less and less efficient, right? That it would, over time, send less and less energy to the battery? Why aren't there sensors to measure that in the same manner that the car's computer monitors everything else?

We all know they don't last forever, but I have a hard time believing that one day they're 100% good and the next they're 100% bad. It would be nice to have some warning, if for nothing else than for safety on the road. Seems dangerous to me.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by EersNC' post='873481' date='May 9 2009, 10:01 AM
A similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. But I was on a entrance ramp to I-77 in Charlotte. I'd got onto the throttle pretty good in third, just a bit of a curve in the road...and then everything went crazy. I lost dynamic drive, active steering, traction control, ABS, the i-drive went blank, speedo and tach went to zero and the audible warnings were insane.

I stayed in the right lane, exited and stopped in the parking lot of a Wendy's, grabbed a drink, got back in the car and turned the key...everything but the dynamic drive worked fine. I made it home and called my dealer for an appointment the next morning. Got to the car and turned it on...everything worked fine. I took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong.
Souldn't your dealer have seen the fault log in the car computer displaying each and every warning that you just got? If he sees those then how can he say nothing was wrong?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='872207' date='May 8 2009, 10:26 AM
You need a new alternator and new battery. I had something similar like that. Dealer replaced it for me. =)
Same here. I replaced the battery first. Worked for a couple of months then same problems. SA did some software updates, same problems. They found out that it was the alternator. Replaced it, problem solved.

$400 for a battery. Cost me $135 and install from my friend's shop. OEM battery from BMW.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EersNC' post='873481' date='May 9 2009, 10:01 AM

Exact same scenario for me... was merging from I-24 to I-40.. there are about 6 lanes coming together in that spot and I was moving pretty good on the turn and as soon as I straightened out is when everything went haywire. I had the same plan as you, just get to the exit, shut her down and turn it back on... no deal.. didn't even make it to the ramp..

Yeah, I got kicked in the junk on the battery purchase... won't make that mistake again, lord forbid I ever have to replace that thing again. I already have my indy shop lined up for when I come out of CPO...
Old 05-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='873584' date='May 9 2009, 01:00 PM
You would think that an alternator would become less and less efficient, right? That it would, over time, send less and less energy to the battery? Why aren't there sensors to measure that in the same manner that the car's computer monitors everything else?

We all know they don't last forever, but I have a hard time believing that one day they're 100% good and the next they're 100% bad. It would be nice to have some warning, if for nothing else than for safety on the road. Seems dangerous to me.
My thoughts as well. You would think there would be some warnings.. slow starts, dynamic drive issues, slow i-drive screen... something that would clue you in to battery/alternator issues...

I asked one of the SA's about this and he basically just shrugged his shoulders and said, "yeah, on about half of these cars they just go, no warning, nothing"...

Old 05-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by UTVol545i' post='873851' date='May 9 2009, 07:06 PM
Exact same scenario for me... was merging from I-24 to I-40.. there are about 6 lanes coming together in that spot and I was moving pretty good on the turn and as soon as I straightened out is when everything went haywire. I had the same plan as you, just get to the exit, shut her down and turn it back on... no deal.. didn't even make it to the ramp..

Yeah, I got kicked in the junk on the battery purchase... won't make that mistake again, lord forbid I ever have to replace that thing again. I already have my indy shop lined up for when I come out of CPO...

Man, I would have fought them to the death if they couldn't prove to you that the alternator wasn't responsible. There is no reason why you should have had to pay for that....so you mean to tell me that just because they didn't know if it was the alternator or battery that by default, the obligation lies on you? That would really piss me off. :thumbsdown: I would have demanded that they prove it was the battery. If they couldn't, then it should have been replaced. $400 bucks is a lot of money....

Glad things are all settled!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by UTVol545i' post='872198' date='May 8 2009, 09:14 AM
so I wasn't stranded somewhere in the East Tennessee darkness.. not where you want to be, at least I wouldn't think..

Quick Reply: e60 had a meltdown...