E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 had a meltdown...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='872245
Hopefully you still have warranty and you pay a $50 dollar deductable. =)
I do, thankfully, mine is CPO to 100K--12/2010 with repairs and maintenance
Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='872222' date='May 8 2009, 10:51 AM
No, if the battery was shot it would still be getting juice from the alternator while driving. To me it sounds like the alternator is dead and the battery might be just fine.
not if the battery shorts out. One of my E39s went completely dead one night while I was driving. I'm talking no lights, no nothing, just a silent chunk of metal rolling down the road. not fun. nothing wrong with the alternator.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (01/05 Build) Titanium Silver Metallic 530i, Black Dakota Leather Interior w/Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Cold, Premium & Sport Packages, Steptronic, Bluetooth MODS: OEM 166's (M5 Offset) on General's (245/35 & 275/30), 15mm H&R Spacers, Auxiliary Audio Input, 6000K Xenon Headlights and Matching HID Fogs, AIB v3.0, SprintBooster, OEM LED License Plate Bulbs, Smoked LED Side Markers, Matte Black Kidney Grills

I'm with you...a smooth running car and then in a heartbeat, something like this with really no warning, that blows. Hope the dealer figures it out soon. Also eager to hear what it turns out to be.

Originally Posted by UTVol545i' post='872237' date='May 8 2009, 11:01 AM
I am thinking alternator too, however it's surprising that they couldn't identify the problem after having it all day. .

Seems like you could make that clarification reasonably soon

Who knows..

I will say that this came out of nowhere. I never had any trouble starting it or any other power related issues with electronics...

Cruising along the highway and in the blink of an eye it was out of commission
Old 05-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

I had this exact experience right after I bought my e39...

First they replaced the battery. It happened again. Then they replaced the alternator AND the battery. Never sure which killed what. I got the impression a bad battery can ruin the alternator, so I always figured that's what happened. Since I had just bought the car, and it had probably been sitting around on the dealers lot for a while, that made sense to me.

Odd, though, that they haven't figured it out. GL!!
Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Members

Just got the call...

My SA says it's the alternator and my battery... She says the alternator "took out" the battery. That they've tried charging it and it won't hold...

Soooooooooooo.. she proceeds to tell me, the charge will be $1,620.00 for both the alternator and battery to be replaced...

I remind her mine is CPO.. she says, oh, that's right, it will be $416.00 for the new battery install...

I respond, "you just said the alternator (covered under CPO) "took out" the battery, so why am I having to pay for the battery?

I get this in response: "Well, we aren't exactly sure if the alternator fried the batter or the battery killed the alternator...." (she pauses).. (I pause).. uh.. okay

--In my mind I'm thinking, never mind the fact that her statements thus far on this phone call have been contradictory, I have repair AND maintence covered under my CPO, so wouldn't the battery fall under maintenance? Hell, I can drive in there with bad windshield wiper blades and any other number of things outside of tires and they will replace them under the maintenance agreement (at least so I was told by another SA at the same dealership during a different discussion of my CPO plan)...

Then she continues...."however I will call BMWNA and see what I can do about having the battery covered and call you back..."

That was about 30 minutes ago, so we'll see..
Old 05-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by UTVol545i' post='872340' date='May 8 2009, 12:53 PM
Just got the call...

My SA says it's the alternator and my battery... She says the alternator "took out" the battery. That they've tried charging it and it won't hold...

Soooooooooooo.. she proceeds to tell me, the charge will be $1,620.00 for both the alternator and battery to be replaced...

I remind her mine is CPO.. she says, oh, that's right, it will be $416.00 for the new battery install...

I respond, "you just said the alternator (covered under CPO) "took out" the battery, so why am I having to pay for the battery?

I get this in response: "Well, we aren't exactly sure if the alternator fried the batter or the battery killed the alternator...." (she pauses).. (I pause).. uh.. okay

--In my mind I'm thinking, never mind the fact that her statements thus far on this phone call have been contradictory, I have repair AND maintence covered under my CPO, so wouldn't the battery fall under maintenance. Hell, I can drive in there with bad windshield wipers and any other number of things outside of tires and they will replace them under the maintenance agreement (at least so I was told by another SA at the same dealership during a different discussion of my CPO plan)...

Then she continues...."however I will call BMWNA and see what I can do about having the battery covered and call you back..."

That was about 30 minutes ago, so we'll see..
Wow, let us know what she says next!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

After careful consideration and exhaustive research, I think your Johnson Rod may have broken!!
You can buy a replacement here....
Johnson Rod Replacement
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Damn, I'm good on calling out the problem. =)

But yes, seems like they should replace the battery for you too since the alternator is the cause. So let them know your mind. =) Good luck man. Keep us posted.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 550, Sport/Navi/etceteraetcetera

It's because you're a Vol fan. Rebels never have these problems. See you in the Grove this fall.

Seriously though, hope everything works out. I used to live in Nashville (Richland/West End area) and have heard good things about the dealer.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Members

looks like they are holding their ground on the battery. SA just called and said I will have to pay for the battery. I think I will be having a sit down with someone to detail just exactly what this "maintenance" coverage exactly entails.. The list of what is and isn't covered under the CPO "repair" warranty is pretty cut and dry.. I know the battery would not be covered in that instance....

However, the battery would seem to fall in line with "maintenance" and the line of "all you need to do is put tires on it" that was fed to me at the dealer last time I was there isn't quite ringing true... shockingly..

Quick Reply: e60 had a meltdown...