E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 had a meltdown...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving to Knoxville from Nashville for my little brother's college graduation and the 545 had a meltdown...

Luckily I didn't even make it out of the city so I wasn't stranded somewhere in the East Tennessee darkness.. not where you want to be, at least I wouldn't think..

Anyway, I'm cruising along in the multitude of lanes and interchanges as I cross through the maze of interstates making my way across the city (I live on the west side, so I'm heading east). I just make it to I-40 and that will be my path the entire way to Knoxville, smooth sailing.. so I thought... As I merge from one of the connecting loops (440) I get her up to about 80 (which will still get you passed regularly in our traffic scene) and I'm approaching Nashville International Airport. It's about 5 lanes across in this area and I'm the lane next to the HOV lane cruising along avoiding airport traffic... All of the sudden I get a huge ABS Malfunction warning on my dash and I-drive screen. Then, before I can even read the message I get the Dynamic Drive Malfunction. Then, another error and my dash is lit up like a Christmas tree with errors galore...

At this point I still have power, my brakes still work and I'm trying to navigate my way across traffic to get near the shoulder should I have to abort mission of making the next exit... My I-drive screen goes black and my A/C is off... no power windows, steering...nothing. All I have at this point are headlights, taillights and engine power. Then I start to lose power and manage to get it off the road about the time it's barely moving.. I shut her off and let it sit for a moment. Tried to restart and nothing.. not a sound, just some flashes of different malfunctions on the dash.

BMW Assist had a tow truck out there pretty quickly, I will say that...

As I was waiting for the truck, one of the Roadside Hazard trucks pulled up behind me. I'm sure most states have these, in Tennessee they are big yellow trucks that will give you whatever assistance they can. He hooked up a mobile boost to the battery and my car started right up, but as soon as he removed the ground cable it died withing 10 -15 seconds. He didn't want to attempt to jump it completely (nor did I want him too) because of the nature of the car. He said if it were a Toyota Corolla, he would, but not a "newer BMW." He seemed to have a pretty working knowledge of the e60.. (I don't know if that's good or bad, hahaha)...

Anyway, it's at BMW of Nashville and they've had it for a day now and don't know what's wrong with it...

Yuck
Old 05-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

Good luck, hope you get your ride back soon.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

You need a new alternator and new battery. I had something similar like that. Dealer replaced it for me. =)
Old 05-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

From what I have read on the forum, it sounds like only your battery is shot.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='872209' date='May 8 2009, 09:29 AM
From what I have read on the forum, it sounds like only your battery is shot.
+1 hopefully :
Old 05-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Contributors

No, if the battery was shot it would still be getting juice from the alternator while driving. To me it sounds like the alternator is dead and the battery might be just fine.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Members

I am thinking alternator too, however it's surprising that they couldn't identify the problem after having it all day. .

Seems like you could make that clarification reasonably soon

Who knows..

I will say that this came out of nowhere. I never had any trouble starting it or any other power related issues with electronics...

Cruising along the highway and in the blink of an eye it was out of commission
Old 05-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Same thing happened with my X5. Alternator went bad. The sad thing was that there was no indication the alternator was going bad until the dash lit up with all the malfunctions. There should be better monitoring to let you know when the alternator goes bad. I barely made it into my driveway with no headlights at night when mine went.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by UTVol545i' post='872237' date='May 8 2009, 11:01 AM
I am thinking alternator too, however it's surprising that they couldn't identify the problem after having it all day. .

Seems like you could make that clarification reasonably soon

Who knows..

I will say that this came out of nowhere. I never had any trouble starting it or any other power related issues with electronics...

Cruising along the highway and in the blink of an eye it was out of commission
I had the same problem. I was going to the dealer coincedently one time and BAM, all those error messages came on and my idrive shut down and my speedometer shut down too. Also the sounds in the car in the car the were super loud (the beeping when your car was still in the ignition while you shut off your car).

Hopefully you still have warranty and you pay a $50 dollar deductable. =)
Old 05-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='872222' date='May 8 2009, 10:51 AM
No, if the battery was shot it would still be getting juice from the alternator while driving. To me it sounds like the alternator is dead and the battery might be just fine.
Oh yea that's right

Quick Reply: e60 had a meltdown...