E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Fiber Optic Cable problem and questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 01:13 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525I 2004
Default E60 Fiber Optic Cable problem and questions.

Hey,

I was changing some brake lines 2 month ago and when I got off the plastic cover under the car the bolts holding the plastic cover breaked with the bolts inside.
So after I was finished with changing the brake lines I was just about to weld on few M6 bolts so I could bolt the plastic underneath the car again.
Then immideatly since the car was quite rusty underneath its a (2004) the weld wire went through and manage to hit the wiring harness running on side off the car and manage burn off the optic fiber cable and the antenna cable.

First I didnīt realize what this cable was but I soon understand what it was when realize all sound was gone and made some reasearch about it.

So after some reasearch I realize the most cheap way to fix this would be to try get this whole optical cable from another E60 on the scrap yard.
So I was putting in alot off hours to get this out off a car and it was so tough, didnīt realize you basically need to unmount all car inside to manage to get this cable out, haha.

So this afternoon I was mounting it inside my car and try to run the sound but there is still no sound.
I have checked and I do have light in the cable in the back at the MULF and also in the front but I forgot to check if I had light in the most connector in the glovebox.
I was wondering what the thing in the glovebox was but I understand its a MOST but only way to see if it works is by take out the connector and see if i have light in it I guess?

One more thing to mention is that my car have a CDC and the car I was taken the optic cables from didnīt had a cd changer and instead had some kind off joint in black plastic where one end off two cables went into and there was light in one off them so it seem to work.

I thought this is some kind off pre wiring for if you wanna mount a cd changer if you donīt buy a car with this from factory.

But the problem is, even though I mounted the new cables a little shorter way I doubt one off the cables will be able to reach the CDC.

So now to my questions:

1: Do you have to code something in the car to make the sound work if you have change the entire fiber optic cable system?
2: If the car have an CDC and I mount a cable with a "joint" instead like this new fiber optic cables I mount have, will it cause the sound to not work?
3: Is there any way to fix a burned off cable like I said or is it impossible even if you have this machine that can cut optical cables?

Also I can mention that the Antenna cable was damaged so I had to repair it as well but even if it wonīt work I dont think that it should effect the sound from not working, right?
I took antenna cable from this car I took the optical cables from so I have also mounted this in all way in case this original one doesnīt work after my repair.

I will always check inside the car undeneath the carpet before I weld I can tell you, haha!
I have to say I am quite surprised how rusty it was underneath. I think that the plastic shield underneath is really bad which will cause the "salt" in winter to stay inside there and you wonīt be able to remove it when you are washing your car.
Because my car doesnīt have any corrosion on the outside but underneath was quite some shock when I was getting off the plastic covers.

Really hope someone can help me

Last edited by Simon_Bmw; 12-06-2022 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Some spelling mistakes
Old 12-06-2022, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 314 Likes on 301 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I assume there's still a break in the MOST network. No coding needs to be done replacing the fiber. If you had the machine to splice the fiber it would fix you issue but you need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Splicing fiber is not an easy task even with a splicer. I've been doing it for almost 10 years and it takes practice. I would throw in a loop to see if it makes a difference

Last edited by seanjordan20; 02-01-2023 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:15 AM
New Members

I have taken a greater look now at this problem and try to find why and hopefully someone can help me.
I have checked all connectors to see if there is a red light coming. The thing is I have now tried to connect the CDC with the new harness and this shows two results for me wierdly.

So I will try explain here.

If I put this "bypass" thing (black plastic) instead off connecting the cd changer I will get the signal at the MULF in back but if I connect it into CDC it wont blink red in the back at the MULF.

But the thing I noticed that doesnīt matter if I have the bypass thing or it connected to the CDC the MOST diagnosis connector in the glove box wont blink?
I canīt understand why?!
I took this whole "fiber optic cables" from another E60 like I said and they looked perfectly fine but why it wont reach the MOST diagnosis I donīt understand?!

Feel extremely lost because if it is the two cables broken for example or one off them which travels at the side off the car back to the MULF, how can I locate which one off them go to where and just change this two cables in the optic fiber harness?

Seems to be impossible to just buy a new Optic fiber harness(I asked a BMW dealer).

Is it hard or can you open the "plastic" ring and change two cables and it will work or will you then get other problems?!
Can my problems be related anything to that this optic cables and the plastic ring is taken from another car? I mean some type off coding problem?

Please help me, I would love to get my stereo to work again

Old 02-01-2023, 01:53 PM
New Members

Do anyone know if you need to get your car coded if you change the fiberoptic cables in your car?
I am asking since the car I was taking it from didnīt have a cd changer and I am not sure if you need to get it coded if the "plastic ring" carries something that have to be coded to be able to work in another car?

And if you have to get it coded, how hard is it and where can you get it done?
Old 02-01-2023, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

I answered that question in December. Fiber is a medium that data transmit on. There is nothing to code. Modules are the only thing that needs coding.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:17 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I answered that question in December. Fiber is a medium that data transmit on. There is nothing to code. Modules are the only thing that needs coding.
Yes I remember that! But I mean that I change all the complete system and my question was more about if the (plastic "ring") in the back need to be coded. I understood that if you change only the cable you wonīt need to code but.
So as I understand only the modules need to be coded?

Then my next question is, I did change the MPM module in the trunk after corrosion damage this summer since the IDRIVE stopped working. Everything works fine but I am not sure if I can remember if the sound was working after I change this.
I donīt think this can be the problem but can be worth asking if this would affect it all since you seem to have very good knowledge?

Old 02-10-2023, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

No, they are on 2 different networks. Meaning they transmit data on 2 different mediums. MOST and K-CAN. Now if you want to get technical. The MPM is handled by the KGM (body module). The KGM can cut power to certain things to save power. This is why you need BMW software tools to get the whole picture when you suspect anything other than a normal fix. To be honest it shouldn't have gotten to that point or you would see KGM faults

Last edited by seanjordan20; 02-11-2023 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:36 PM
New Members

Now I have finally made some progress!
After I been trying with an fiber optic loop at each module I was able to get light everywhere.
And the problem seems to be the MULF module in the back, because when I insert the optic loop there I get light in the glovebox "MOST" port which I didnīt have before.

Thing is I still donīt have a sound.
Is it because the MULF module need to be working in case to get sound?

A friend might had one, if he have I will be trying this as soon as possible!

I checked all fuses and I couldnīt find any fault there so everything seems to be working fine!

Is there anyone who know how I easy can check with a multimeter if I have power in the white plug in contact which you insert into the MULF?