E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Exterior design features

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 04:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi, Silver grey metallic, Black leather interior with poplar wood trim, Premium package, Premium sound package, Cold weather package, Sport package, Automatic transmission, Style 124 wheels with 245/40 ZR18 93W ContiExtremeContact all season radials, Red reflectors, 3M Clear Bra, Samsung A920 Bluetooth Sprint phone with updated firmware (version ZB06 and ZB07), Hardwired Passport X50 Blue LED (switched from Valentine One). Build date 1/06.

Originally Posted by JWO' post='280222' date='May 10 2006, 12:23 AM
I know that we all love our E60s but if you had to point out your least favorite exterior design, what would it be?

My least favorite would be the trademark BMW kidney grill. I think it's too much like the Pontiac.
I have never owned a car that was "perfect" from a design standpoint. There's always a compromise to be struck, and I think that the current E60 design does this nicely. On some days I feel that the headlights flare up to the sides too much, but then I realize that this is precisely why the car looks so great when viewed head on. There are some angles that I like more than others, but the angles that I don't like contribute to the angles that I do like! It's difficult to separate these out, since they are inter-related. I am very happy that the "facelift" will preserve the essence of the E60 design, since this means that I will have at least 5 years of my present car before having to deal with too much change...
Old 05-10-2006, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Love it the way it is. Thats why I have one.
cheers
vern
Old 05-10-2006, 04:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I love the way my car looks, especially with the M-Aero kit. On a regular E60 I think the front lower grill looks to sissy like not sporty enough and a few non BMW people have also told me this. Other than that I think they are beautiful and bold looking, there design is truely unique and alot of other manufacturers are copying the hell out of it, especially the non-molding straight side line!!!
cough/cough/hh/lexus/ cough/cough
Old 05-10-2006, 04:57 AM
Members

Top rear fender, right where the trunk starts. From side view it looks rather abrupt than finished, other than that car is perfect and many maker are trying to copy it now.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

design flaws? i have two big ones that annoy the heck out of me.

1.) when its raining (even lighlty) and you crack open the window, the water just POURS right in. yes, i know its because the car doesnt have rain gutters, but its still very annoying, and they shouldve designed it better.

2.) another one that has to do with rain....the back of the car, specifically the top of the bumper, doesnt allow enough windflow. so if it rains you always get these water spots all over the back. evey other part of the car the wind flows all around and doesnt let water collect anywhere, but in the back u get a ton of water spots.

besides that, i do love the way the car looks and drives.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

I love it exactly as it is!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

Have you seen the lines on the new 3 series coupe? The ones below the windows and above wheels that come up from the front of the car?

I do not like how the e60 lines are so angular that way and think the coupe seems streamlined a bit more and more pleasing to the eye. Our cars almost have 3 different breaking angles on the side that are distinct. I would like to see those lines lessoned like they have in the coupe. (do I make any sense at all here?)

I guess that is all I would change as rest of the car flows well for me, especially with M Aero Kit.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

1. Grill needs to be part of the hood (see E39 and E36/7).

2. The base of the A-Pillar where the hood, front quarter panel and pillar meet doesn't look right. The quarter panel needs to flow into the A-Pillar and the top line seems to dump into the windshield.

3. As many have stated the stock lower bumper needs work. M bumper is a good place to start for a redesign of the standard bumper.

4. Stock/standard sills has that line to extend the line between the door and front quarter panel. This is too much of a good thing and goes too far (IMO).

But I really like E60.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by ats77' post='280288' date='May 10 2006, 04:04 PM
, yep they did.
I luv every single cm on the E60 if not, why I wud have buy it?

PS. which grill
But don't you find it contradicting? If you love every cm of your E60, why do you need mods? Mods are for the purpose of hiding or changing something that you don't like on your car.

Or you just love Hamann that much
Old 05-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Contributors

I don't like the fact that you have to slam the trunk for it to latch. I prefer how my E28 closes with a simple nudge on the Roundel and gravity does the rest. Sort of like the self-closing lid on my Toto.

Quick Reply: E60 Exterior design features