E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Common Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT
Thumbs down

Had a 2006 525 and now 2007 550, I found there are some (very) common (non-software) problems in E60:

1. Wind noise from sunroof
Fix: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B540409g.htm

2. Creaking Windows
Fix: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B510205g.htm

3. Brake pedal becomes hard 30 minutes to several few hours after car shut down.
Fix: Replace Vacuum Pipe. There is no bulletin for E60 but there is one for E90: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B340607g.htm

4. Seal on top of front windshield and around rear window going bad due to lots of sunshine.
Fix: Replace seals, easy DIY, or have dealer to fix if its under warranty.

5. Rattle from back seat central arm rest.

Please feel free to add more from your experience and/or research.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Very nice. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hmc' post='1010457' date='Sep 17 2009, 03:17 PM
4. Seal on top of front windshield and around rear window going bad due to lots of sunshine.
Fix: Replace seals, easy DIY, or have dealer to fix if its under warranty.
No warranty on this, at least for me!
I am seeing a little bit of wear on the seal on top of the rear window. SA said not covered.

Where is the DIY?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Pah warranty......

The paint was falling off the side mirror supports on my E60, really badly, took it into the dealers expecting to be covered by paint and perforation warranty, nope, its TRIM so not included, pathetic, not even a 4 year old car at the time !!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530i Premium and Cold Weather Package Orient Blue, Tan Interior

What's the fix for #5? This post was a great idea BTW!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

A few "common" issues I've come across:

1. I'm pretty sure at this point that control arm failures are a common issue. So much so that I've sort of come to consider it a "wear" issue. I'm sure there is a DIY on replacing them, but here's how you'll know they are failing - your steering wheel becomes ultra-sensitive to any minor imperfection on the road and any pothole feels like an explosion just went off under the front of the car. All the requisite noises and rattles will alert you as well. This is due to the flawed design of the control arms' bushings, which tend to wear out too soon. Unfortunately, AFAIK, you cannot replace the bushings alone - you have to replace control arms.

2. Just about any 535 owner can tell you what PITA the HPFP is...

3. Fuel door does not pop open. This happens often due to the wearing down of the little rubber boot on top of the spring-loaded pin that pushes the door open when you press on it. The replacement part is something like 13 dollars from any dealer and swapping it out is basic - use screwdriver to push the clips on the old one together and pull the entire pin assembly out. Push in the new one, make sure it "clicks" into place. The trickiest part is to make sure that this rubber boot does not come off when you're installing the new part (as you've guessed it, a walk in the park).

4. It may just be the 530s, but the alternators do seem to go at about 45-50k+ miles. Straight swap here; again, I'm sure that there are DIYs out there for anyone who is out of warranty and wants to save some loot.

5. If you have a new Nav DVD and the car does not accept it right away, shut down, exit and lock the car and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Open, start and Voila! the DVD will work (~95 cases out of a 100).

6. Coolant leaks. Most often caused by a faulty hose. Very easy to replace yourself and there are LOTS of posts and DIYs on this one.

7. Windows' "Anti-trap function disabled" error - there is a great reset by Rudy out there

8. And lastly, the most common problem with lots of e60's is: THEY DON'T COME WITH TRUNK FINISHERS! The fix is: order a TF from a vendor/seller of your choice, have it painted/paint it yourself to match the car, install, enjoy

I could probably go on for a LOOOOONG time about these "common" issues, but I should probably let other members chime it too

PS sorry for sort of pulling a Kanye on this thread with #8 - couldn't resist it
Old 09-18-2009, 02:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by SCardamon' post='1010895' date='Sep 18 2009, 06:24 AM
What's the fix for #5? This post was a great idea BTW!
Lift the armrest? LOL
Old 09-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Black On Black Sport/Premium Package

Great thread, just last night as I was driving home I was thinking about how to fix the creaking and squeaking going on beside my ear
So where can I purchase this tape, do I have to order it from a dealer or can I get it somewhere else?
Old 09-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

I was thinking that this would be an especially useful resource for anyone considering purchasing a 5 series, or another model, if it could be organized in some way...such that issues associated with a particular model, or even a particular year of a particular model, showed up. The fuel pump issues associated with the 535 for example. In any case, perhaps a specific forum for issues (so this doesn't get lost!), and asking people to post model, year, mileage and perhaps relevant equipment (is such and such an issue only for MT cars, or cars with sport suspension, etc...).

For myself, so far
2006 530 xi 60K miles
Sunroof gasket replacement
Faulty code causing CD to player sound to skip
Old 09-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

great post...very useful...

Quick Reply: E60 Common Problems