E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:52 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've never posted on here before, but i've read plenty of these boards before & found them very useful. I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I have a 2005 e60 525d m sport in carbon black. It's covered just over 90,00 miles & has a manual transmission.

Recently a friend was driving it when he stalled the engine. The car was still in motion when he stalled & instead of turning the key he put the car in second & jump started it from the clutch. Since then when the clutch is pressed while the engine is running a noise is produced - this noise is like a vibration. It does not happen when the clutch is fully pressed, only when it is pressed between 1 inch & 4 inches. There are no problems selecting gears & the car is driving ok, apart from this noise.

I wanted to ask you guys advice before taking it to BMW. It seems to be mechanical as when i press the clutch with the engine off, i hear a squeak.

Any advice you can give me is much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Des
Old 08-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very hard to diagnose any sound without hearing it. On my manual at very low speeds only when starting from a slight roll (as when you are on a downhill at a stoplight), I hear a slight rattle when engaging, and think that it's normal vehicle operation with the dual-mass flywheel. I also hear the rattle upon shutdown most of the time. I assume the transmissions on the diesel are equipped similarly.

How loud is this squeak? If you hear metal scraping I'd be a little concerned, but if it's a light squeak I wouldn't give it a second thought. I don't know if anything your friend did is prompting any of this; is it possible that you are now much more in tune with the car's quirks?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

perhaps record a video and post it here?

Sanj
Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
perhaps record a video and post it here?

Sanj
Took it to a independent & he diagnosed a flywheel problem, which means a replacement clutch & flywheel. He said its minor at the moment & is still very driveable, but the failure is imminent : (

The independent also told me that jump starting the car from the clutch would not cause this. Anyone know where i can get a clutch kit for decent money ?