E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Car Mats Question (UK Model)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all.
I could not get my dealer to throw in free car mats........but I managed to pick some lightly used examples up on Ebay for the bargain price of ?26.

The seller told me that they had the velcro stickers on the back of the front mats which would stick on to similar velcro area on car mats.

However when I picked up my car, I noted that there were no velcro areas, but instead there are 2 plastic type screws (about 15mm long) that tap/screw into the carpet (drivers side only)............but I do not have the relevant holes on my mats to fit them in with.

Can anyone please tell me what the method of 'fixing' the mats on their cars is. (Preferably from UK spec cars).

Cheers.

Also, any 'retro-fit' tips on how to fasten the mats down.......I thought of self stick Velcro, but not sure how well the adhesive side will stick to the carpet/mats.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:33 AM
Members

Both front mats have 2 velcro discs about 5cm across on the underside which fix to similar discs attached to the carpet. Maybe these carpet discs come with new mats and replace the screws you talk about. If this is the case you may be out of luck as I bet they are not available spearately, but you could ask the Dealer.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:12 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

My car came with BMW mats standard. Another reason to hate Americans.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

I got the BMW mats with my march 2005 car.

You see you try to do things on the cheap and you have ended up with ebay "dell boy" mats your not sure about

(only kidding the mats on the options list are a rip off but alongside every other cost i just ticked the box, what the heck )

i was cleaning my car the other week and took the mats out for the first time, i'm sure the back of them was covered with lots of these little black velcro type discs/pads, seems like a better solution i thought than having them little plastic screws that fit into the floor.

In my car there are NO corresponding velcro discs/pads on the carpet in the footwell that the ones on the mat might mate with as you might expect with velcro. It looks like the pads on the mat are just intended to grip to the standard footwell carpet. Will check for you though.

Like you say, in other bmw's, such as my old E46 coupe, there used to be a plastic plug/screw on each corner of the mat that fitted into a hole in the flootwell flooring.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You should be able to buy the velcro (male end) discs that screw into the carpet. Depending on where they are currently, you may be able to use the existing carpet holes. On my car, the female velcro on the back of the mats covers a larger area than the disc so there is plenty of wiggle room as to where the male discs are located.

One nice thing I found was that the BMW winter mats have discs with a hook (instead of velcro) that pokes through a hole in the rubber mat (no wiggle room for locating the hook.) The mounting location for the hook disc is exactly the same as the one for the velcro disc so only one hole in the carpet is used for both types of mat.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Members

Hi

I had trouble with my mats as they kept slipping away from the velcro so my dealer basically put these plastic screw fixings through the carpet and into the floor. Not great for when you are cleaning but the carpet obviously doesn't move an inch now!!

You can off course still lift the carpet from the back and hoover away but I only do that once a year anyway so it doesn't bother me!

Thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My E60 has the plastic disks with the velcro (hooks part) screw into the floor, while the whole back of the foot mats have the other velcro part. I find it very effective compared to the E46's screw in foot mats. There's no velcro for the rear foot mats though
Old 05-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Gudge,

The velcro fixings work well.

By the way did you get the re-chargeable torch with your car? I noticed mine didn't come with one so I asked where it was. They said BMW had ceased to include them but they said as a special favour to me and only to me, I mean I'm not famous or owt, but they would bend over backwards and let me have one.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 6 2005, 12:43 AM
Gudge,

By the way did you get the re-chargeable torch with your car? I noticed mine didn't come with one so I asked where it was. They said BMW had ceased to include them but they said as a special favour to me and only to me, I mean I'm not famous or owt, but they would bend over backwards and let me have one.?
[snapback]124622[/snapback]
Merv,
BMW stopped making the torches standard in their cars back in March 2004 but I thought they changed the policy this year again. Obviously I was wrong.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 6 2005, 12:43 AM
Gudge,

By the way did you get the re-chargeable torch with your car? I noticed mine didn't come with one so I asked where it was. They said BMW had ceased to include them but they said as a special favour to me and only to me, I mean I'm not famous or owt, but they would bend over backwards and let me have one.?
[snapback]124622[/snapback]
Merv.......did not get the torch......did ask, but told not included anymore.
Still, got the dealer plates, (with my private plate on)..........much better than the crappy lesing company ones!

Quick Reply: E60 Car Mats Question (UK Model)