E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 antenna amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msevestre
Hi

key signal reception is handled by the Diversity Antenna, which is also responsible for FM reception... but only one feature can be affected by a problem.

I had this exactly same problem on my E61.
Check the ZIP file above

Matt
According to the diagrams, there is a separate loop on the upper right hand side of the rear window specifically for the key remote. If that loop was damaged for some reason I'd think reception would suffer.

The diversity antennas/amplifiers operate to choose and integrate two signals from two separate antennas into one signal, and indeed, the back window has two separate FM antennas that run down the R and L side of the window. Whether the antenna diversity amplifier is also involved in boosting the key signal I suppose is a separate question - it sounds like you went through this so I defer.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first time post great forum.I have lost am/fm reception completely for last 3 weeks was changing stations when it happened looking at the forum its looking like the antenna diversity but my question is would it not effect the locking if it was gone everyhting else is working perfectely but radio reception any answers thanks ps i was wondering also if you have to programme a new antenna dirversity
Old 01-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Members

first time post great forum.I have lost am/fm reception completely for last 3 weeks was changing stations when it happened looking at the forum its looking like the antenna diversity but my question is would it not effect the locking if it was gone everyhting else is working perfectely but radio reception any answers thanks ps i was wondering also if you have to programme a new antenna dirversity
Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

Originally Posted by inde
I am having problems with my remote keys. I can only lock/unlock my car from about 1-2 meters away. Aux heater remote and FM radio work ok. My car is a 2006 535d E60. New remote keys are quite expensive so I would first like to check the antenna amplifier. Only that I don't know where it is located? I found some info about E61 antenna amplifiers but nothing on E60.

Please share if You have any info!
I had the same problem.
I had an old key and a new key and I knew the batteries were good so people suggested
I try the diversity antenna amplifier.
I found this great DYI http://forums.5serie..._1#entry1051687 .
I bought the antenna from Gary at BMW Newport with the 25% off for members, followed the DYI
and in about 20 minutes I could lock and unlock from 3 houses down!
Good luck!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Members

thanks dean could you lock and unlock the car from far away and yet no radio reception at all dont want to buy diversity if not the problem they are expensive as you know thanks again
Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

Originally Posted by eamon
thanks dean could you lock and unlock the car from far away and yet no radio reception at all dont want to buy diversity if not the problem they are expensive as you know thanks again
My radio reception was affected and did improve but the big issue was remote distance.
I could barley get my car to respond to the remotes.
I can't say that your problem is the same since your remote is working.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

my remote range sucks too. i have to be right next to the car. if i do put the remote againstmy throat it seems to give me afew extra feet. my fm radio reception sucks as wekk. i guess they go hand in hand
Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
my remote range sucks too. i have to be right next to the car. if i do put the remote againstmy throat it seems to give me afew extra feet. my fm radio reception sucks as wekk. i guess they go hand in hand
Replace your diversity antenna. You'll be so happy and wish you did it long ago!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 94' 325i(sold), 01 530 spt (sold) 08 528i

Originally Posted by deansimpson
Replace your diversity antenna. You'll be so happy and wish you did it long ago!

Ditto i just had mine changed thru warranty..and the dealers will tell you all types of excuses why they can't do it. just get angry if they deny your request and usually they will do it. luckily i didn't have to get angry just...firm..lol and now i can unlock my doors damn near a block away. change the antenna!!