E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 05:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, silver/black, sports pck, premium sound, cold weather pck, SMG, NAV, sat. radio. Porsche 996 C2 '99

any suspension damage? I would make sure they check that to.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:48 AM

The Style 124 wheels are made by BBS, so they should be quality items. I don't know if they're forged or not; after seeing this thread I assume not! If you need a new wheel, try www.bmwwheels.com. Their prices are great, and their service is wonderful. They are an authorized BMW dealer too. I ordered a new wheel, and it was delivered pronto in perfect condition in the factory box. Check it out.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:50 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by smarty marty' date='Jan 21 2005, 02:40 AM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Jan 21 2005, 01:01 AM']Sorry about the wheel. I see you are in Scotland, but the wives here in the US frequently lie about what they hit and the severity of a hit when returning their husband's car damaged.
Just a thought.

Here's a picture of my car after my wife "supposedly" hit a bird doing 30mph.

Sorry, only kidding. It does seem that the E60 have had more than their share of problems. I have never joined a forum before concerning a car that I was driving so we might just be subject to many more issues then you would ever come across. I know when I read something a sort of hypochondria sets in, as I think I have the A/C pulley problem I read here but my dealer says no. Do other cars listed in onlune forum have this much trouble ?
[snapback]81296[/snapback]
Pennetta, the more I thought about it the more I think you may be right! She did travel 50 miles (80km) in half an hour and on a twisty country road. I have started divorce proceedings. I have applied for custody of her Audi TT and will let her keep the kids and the house is now on the market.

P.S. In the pictures you posted your wheels look OK, how much for the set?

P.P.S. BMW have sourced a wheel by overnight courier but haven't mentioned costs as yet. The pictures of the other damaged wheels posted are scarily similar to the damage on my own wheel. I do accept the fact that the wheel will take more impact with the run flat and also that the run flat may have in this instance saved the car from going of the road! There was only a scratch on the rim of the wheel probably due to the run flat absorbing the impact.
[snapback]81429[/snapback]
[/quote]

Smarty Marty, Welcome to the board and thank you for taking my post in the humerous context that it was intended!
Does anyone know who manufactures the wheels for BMW? Maybe a call to the manufacturer might yeild some results. BMW might not be as concerned with the bad press but the manufacturer might and maybe would do something for Smarty Marty.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Members

My Ride: Met Blue2004 530iSE Sport Body Kit, 18" alloys with RFT (and no Jack or spare!!!)

Thanks for all the support and info. I went back to the dealer this afternoon to see the wheel as it had been removed from the car. It is split all the way around and the tyre has kept the wheel together.
I have requested a form from the local council for a claim anyway. The wheel is being sent to BMW for analysis and in the meantime a new wheel and tyre is being fitted (again no mention of costs as yet). Car will be ready tomorrow. One concern I have is that if that wheel was faulty then obviously the other 3 are a risk as they are very likely from the same batch? or Am I just being paranoid?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

So far, only one note regarding our litigious society and no lawyer-bashing in this thread. I'm still waiting . . . .
Old 01-21-2005, 09:57 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by smarty marty' date='Jan 21 2005, 11:59 AM
One concern I have is that if that wheel was faulty then obviously the other 3 are a risk as they are very likely from the same batch?? or Am I just being paranoid??
[snapback]81557[/snapback]
Not paranoid at all. I have a feeling that there will be many 124 wheels splitting throughout the life of these cars. Right now we only know about two incidents reported in this forum. How many other 124s have split? One thing stands out, though. The Dunlop run flats are very strong tires. In both incidents, they have held the wheel together when totally deflated.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Whoa, definitely not good or cool.

Reminds me of the old 84 to 86? Corvette rims rumored to be hollow or subpar.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by smarty marty' date='Jan 21 2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the support and info.? I went back to the dealer this afternoon to see the wheel as it had been removed from the car.? It is split all the way around and the tyre has kept the wheel together.
I have requested a form from the local council for a claim anyway.? The wheel is being sent to BMW for analysis and in the meantime a new wheel and tyre is being fitted (again no mention of costs as yet). Car will be ready tomorrow.? One concern I have is that if that wheel was faulty then obviously the other 3 are a risk as they are very likely from the same batch?? or Am I just being paranoid??
No way are you paranoid. There is no doubt in my mind what I or anyone in this forum would be thinking once you start cruising at 100+ mph on some back road, or any road for that matter. Get new wheels or have the three remaining checked out. I don't think I want these wheels when I order my new 545 and will be looking for a different wheel.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i: Mystic Blue, Auburn Dakota leather Premium and Winter Package, Xenons

wow that is pretty nasty....looks like it hurt....good luck with that man
Old 01-21-2005, 11:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by smarty marty' date='Jan 21 2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks for all the support and info.? I went back to the dealer this afternoon to see the wheel as it had been removed from the car.? It is split all the way around and the tyre has kept the wheel together.
I have requested a form from the local council for a claim anyway.? The wheel is being sent to BMW for analysis and in the meantime a new wheel and tyre is being fitted (again no mention of costs as yet). Car will be ready tomorrow.? One concern I have is that if that wheel was faulty then obviously the other 3 are a risk as they are very likely from the same batch?? or Am I just being paranoid??

Keep us updated on what BMW tells ya. Good luck with the cost. I'm sure they wont charge you right? its not suppose to crack like that!!

Quick Reply: E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked