E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60/61 Steering feel - a cheap fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 01:14 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E61 with M-sport Vanity Pack
Model Year: 2006
Engine: M57D25TÜ
Default E60/61 Steering feel - a cheap fix

Hi All,

I've had an embarrassing little secret for a while, it's the kind of thing that men don't like to talk about because, it's quite, well, personal.

You see I've had this feeling of inadequacy.... For a while now, when the E61 and I have been getting it on together, and it's all getting exciting - it's not quite been right - something was missing... My hands didn't feel it in the curves like they should... My steering wasn't quite right. Not terrible but, not as good as it should have been.

Now, I couldn't admit this in the Pub on a Friday night. My mates all drive Audis and Volvos and 4x4s (I don't know why I hang around with 'em :-) For most of them the E61 steering feel would be mind blowing, even when it wasn't quite right... So, I went on-line and searched the fora. I turned up A LOT of contradictory and some unhelpful info. and a lot of opinions.

Could it be the tyres? Could it be their pressures? Could it be the static alignment ? Could it be worn bushes - and if so - front? rear? both? Could it be the rack? Could it be the electronics?
Most frightening of all, could it, be me? - Had I become - like my Audi and Volvo driving friends - a FWD kind of guy?

So, I did some checks, nothing was amis, and fortunately I still loved driving my other RWD vehicles (phew!). So, none of this wast much help - and, like a real man, I denied there was any problem at all. This worked pretty well for a while. But, then something happened I couldn't ignore and this time on the motorway. My previously faithful E61 was showing signs of wandering.... I had to keep a close eye on her - to keep her on check. keep putting in little corrections to keep her on the straight and narrow. This was NOT GOOD. Time to get serious.

I rechecked the bushes, the alignment, the tyres, the rack rods, the rack - nothing was perfect (it's done 185K miles) but, nothing was seriously wrong ether.

What I did discover, was the front suspension arrangement is not what I previously assumed it was.
It's NOT a normal McPherson strut! The lower control arms do not meet at a single point - instead they form a four bar linkage.
So, the lower steering pivot point is not centred on one ball joint (as is usual in McPherson) instead it's an instantaneous centre that describes a bit of an arc.
I think this is kind of cool. but, then I'm quite sad.

Anyho - I decided there was nothing for it but, to throw parts at it - start swapping in new components 'till it was fixed. And because I am quite sad, and had spent some time trying to work out what the car was trying to tell me - I thought I'd start with the TOP MOUNT BEARINGS (the upper pivot point of the steering axis). I thought of this as the steering was basically ok - but, a bit dead near the centre and 4 bar linkage at the bottom might mean there was a bit extra load on the top mounts (compared to a normal setup). But, because "me" I thought I might go for some caster/camber adjustable ones....

In checking to see if they'd fit I was ratching around in the top of the strut towers - and pulled off the rubber cap that seals the bearing. What I saw was crud - and a lot of it!
She was gummed up up top! I carefully dribbled in a bit of "dry lubricant" (MTB chain lubricant) - popped the rubber bungs on and went for a drive...
The difference was AMAZING (to me) - steering is once again as I'd hope it to be - in the twisties and on the motorway. RESULT.

Right, I thought - time for new top mounts. But, it was so good I forgot! That was about a year ago - recently it started to go lifeless again. The same trick brought it back.

SO - if your E60/61 has a bit of age and a few miles on her - and the feeling isn't what it once was she might just be a bit dry where it really counts.

Lube her up and enjoy!

If this works THEN get some new top mounts. (also check the tyres, the bushes, the track rods and your driving)

PS - Proceed at your own risk! If you put too much oil in a contaminate your disks and pads, you're an idiot. If you do this drive too fast and kill yourself at some sharp corner it's called "Darwinism".

Mark
This message has been brought to you today in the styles of "ludicrously long and over extended metaphores and the value using discretion when reading fora posts".
The following users liked this post:
Beefy59 (01-26-2024)
Old 11-09-2018, 05:17 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Ah, the famed placebo effect at work!:angry.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:59 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E61 with M-sport Vanity Pack
Model Year: 2006
Engine: M57D25TÜ

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Ah, the famed placebo effect at work!:angry.
It's only a placebo if the lubricant is applied at homeopathic concentrations :-)