5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   E60 545 Oil filter broke (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/e60-545-oil-filter-broke-147207/)

patjuh 06-06-2017 09:21 AM

E60 545 Oil filter broke

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I've got an issue with my 2004 BMW 545 that is blowing everyones mind.
My oil filter is broke, not just broke as in "it was too old" broke but litterly a gap in it.
The filter has been placed 4 weeks ago, same with new oil.
Filter: Purflux I999
Oil: Castrol Edge C30 5W30

After a few km the car had some oil pressure errors, I was back home, the error has been showed up two times and I had the idea that it was a sensor error.
The next day I placed the car in D and the whole car was shaking, had an engine error and turned the car off.

After a few days in the garage I had the call that the oil filter has been broke, they adviced me to come over and see it for my self, they never seen something like this before.

Attached two photo's.

Anyone seen this before? And how is this possible? Everyone that I tell this, is telling me that this is impossible.

Patrick

FormerE30Owner 06-06-2017 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by patjuh (Post 1589503)
Hi,

My oil filter is broke, not just broke as in "it was too old" broke but litterly a gap in it.

After a few km the car had some oil pressure errors, I was back home, the error has been showed up two times and I had the idea that it was a sensor error.
The next day I placed the car in D and the whole car was shaking, had an engine error and turned the car off.

After a few days in the garage I had the call that the oil filter has been broke, they adviced me to come over and see it for my self, they never seen something like this before.

Attached two photo's.

Anyone seen this before? And how is this possible? Everyone that I tell this, is telling me that this is impossible.

Patrick

Well I don't know about impossible, but I would worry more about where did the filter paper go? A gap will not show up as low oil pressure, but plugging the oil lines and passages with filter debris (paper) will cause low oil pressure and damage the engine. How do your mechanics propose to clear the oil lines?

Tunerbuilder 06-06-2017 07:10 PM

As a technician, I would say it looks like something happened during the installation of the new oil filter. The low oil pressure is probably caused by filter paper debris plugging oil galleys in the engine or/and the oil pump itself. If the engine has started shaking violently after start-up, you probably have internal engine damage. Probably should cut the oil filter apart, and check between the folds for metal debris. Then drop the oil pan and check for metal debris in the pan. Either way you will probably need a rebuild/used engine.

patjuh 06-06-2017 09:31 PM

Basically the idea now is to find the missing piece of filter. Then see what happens. I'm not a technician so I need to believe the word of others. Because everyone tells me that this is impossible i'm curious.
Beside that, I want to know whats wrong, was it my car, or an installation error. Makes a big difference for me. I'm afraid that there is some engine damage, but i'll hope to hear more today or tomorrow.

NoQuarter 06-07-2017 04:58 AM

Woah... I can't think of any plausible explanation for that.

Please update as you learn more.

audiophool 06-07-2017 05:42 AM

Interesting and scary at the same time. For the oil filter, the oil flows from the outside to the inside. On my N54 there's a plastic cage that fits down the center of the filter which I would assume is designed to support the filter media as well as channel the cleaned oil. Is your filter housing intact?

patjuh 06-07-2017 08:36 AM

Yes, so far the filter housing is intact. Haven't found any damage.
The technicians haven't done witht he car today so that I can work some things out.

The plan for now is to open up the engine and see what happens and what they will find.

cmyachtie 06-07-2017 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by patjuh (Post 1589503)
Hi,

Attached two photo's.

Patrick

Are you sure that the correct filter was installed? On the pics it looks a lot shorter than what I install in mine......
Also I might be ignorant however but never heard of Purflux for BMW how good are these filters compared to OEM or say MANN?
Plus I second the earlier post that this is highly likely a filter installation caused problem.

patjuh 06-07-2017 09:04 PM

I haven't read anything bad yet about Purflux filters. Two garages are telling me that the filter as in brand and type are correct. Online catalogus of Purflix is telling me the same.
Any idea how to proof that this might be an installation problem?

audiophool 06-08-2017 05:54 AM

Who did the last oil change/filter install? If it was a shop, I'd expect them to stand behind the work and pony up for damage or at least part of it. If the change was DIY, all bets are off. For my money, I'd be rigging up a temporary oil pressure gauge and see what's actually happening with the oil pressure. For the rough running, it's possibly an unrelated issue.