E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 - 535d Battery Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 535d, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, 20" Lenso Alloys, Quad Powerflow Stainless Exhaust, Remapped

I would agree with your analysis and conclusions. My battery historic charging stats for the past week are similar to yours but perhaps not quite as low. 11.04v should never happen just overnight, no wonder you lose the clock.

I don't think you will be able to code to a 95 or 100 though as I think the only options are 90 and 110 at the top end. The ultimate longevity of your new battery could well be shortened as the charging profile won't be spot on. I reckon that is what has happened to mine, appears to have only lasted 12 months. You'll still be able to register the new battery of course.

Let us know how you get on once it's fitted,
Old 01-15-2013, 01:46 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 535d M sport. Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights/Wipers, Electric Seats, 8.8" DVD Sat Nav, 6 CD changer, -think thats everything?!

Hey Mickeyboy500,

Well the battery arrived today - no problems - looks identical to the original in terms of markings/outer case etc.
Obvs its not the same - given previous posts read on OEM batteries etc.

Battery installed in minutes, on with DIS to 'code' the battery.

Well - long story short, DIS doesn't quite do it does it!?. DIS is great for Like-for-like replacements but doesn't actually code the new battery. I should have known given DIS is more so for testing as opposed to coding..

DIS gave me a code to use with SSS/Progman and left it there - presumably at least DIS noted the miles/date of change.

My trouble is SSS/Progman doesn't work correctly on this notepad. I need to apply the changes.iso I think before it will work - and I've the common problem with notepad/windows 7.....

Anyone any advice on how to tackle it best? Is SSS a complete write off? Should I start on the learning curve of NCSExpert? is that easier to get running?

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 535d, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, 20" Lenso Alloys, Quad Powerflow Stainless Exhaust, Remapped

NCSExpert is the most common tool used to code, I think you can register it with INPA, DIS or Tool32.

Here's a link with some destructions (lol).

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...attery-114909/

Good luck and I eagerly await to hear how you get on given that I haven't actually done this yet.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 535d M sport. Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights/Wipers, Electric Seats, 8.8" DVD Sat Nav, 6 CD changer, -think thats everything?!

Originally Posted by mickeyboy500
NCSExpert is the most common tool used to code, I think you can register it with INPA, DIS or Tool32.
Originally Posted by mickeyboy500
Here's a link with some destructions (lol).
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/coding-registering-new-battery-114909/
Good luck and I eagerly await to hear how you get on given that I haven't actually done this yet.

Hey,
Cheers - I was just looking through that - at the same time as you sending it through.

It would seem there are a number of ways with varying results. I'm 50% there with what I've done, (registered the battery). Last job tomorrow is to consider coding the battery with the 90/110ah choice.

I'll be honest, I'm considering leaving it at 90ah given that's never going to 'push' the battery beyond its capabilities whereas 110ah into a 100ah consistently might reduce the life even quicker...

What's your thought Mickeyboy500? Are you saying then - you currently have the 100ah in and feel the 90ah recharge has always been lacking thus killed the battery?
Have you ever checked with DIS for when your battery was installed?

I've just checked the motoquip website and they talk about warranties starting at 2 year:
The Motaquip Batteries range covers 98% of the UK vehicle parc and provides a choice of warranty period; 2 years for Powercharge, 3 years for Powercharge Plus and 4 years for Powercharge Premium. The range includes Japanese specific references as well as commercial, leisure and plip batteries
Do you think you could play dumb and look to claim for a new battery?

My last thoughts on batteries for what it’s worth... I did a lot of research into SLA batteries/LiPo and so on about a year back and one thing that I keep in mind is that batteries are no science.
Arguably the 'ah' rating is tested differently across Europe. What is considered a 12ah battery here in the UK is actually 15ah across Europe because the testing time is reduced or something.
I believe from memory the initial model of a battery is tested over a set duration to see how many amp-hours they can safely operate at.
That duration varies across countries and as such can be reported in different ways depending on the retailer.
With that in mind, our UK overzealous Bosch battery might happily be a 110ah in Spain, here in the UK were we all complain – it’s a 100ah....

On from there - if you're setup for 90ah and have a really well 100ah installed that's arguably a 110 - is that why the life is shortened, consistent 20ah miss.....

Any Car Battery Experts upto speed on the ah testing regulations in here?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
New Members

Hi Cybernezz,

Think I would leave it at 90 too given the 2 choices. Mine is definitely coded at 90 and is actually a 100. It is possible that this setup has reduced the life of my battery but I can't prove that conclusively. Have not checked with DIS what it says about the battery history, must do that. Other big clue I have is someone has written in chuufing great writing on the top of the battery the date of 13.12.11, which can only be the date it was last changed. Will check if this aligns with what DIS says but more worryingly that is only 13 months ago.

Some good info' there on battery spec' testing variances, does make you wonder whether being "exact" on the numbers will make that much of a difference.

Got other issues at the moment which could be battery related but I won't hi-jack your thread. If you are interested have a look here. http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/77170-e60-535d-what-the-hell-happened/

So no coding required then, shame I was looking forward to you reporting back on that experience
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 AM
New Members

Hey Guys,

I thought I'd just come back and update you on progress since fitting the new battery.

I fitted the new Bosch battery circa 4 days back now and since its been in - DIS is now reporting 98% charge each day!

That will do for me!! Much better than the 39% we had before.

The plan is to keep running the battery check / standard history check periodically to see if it only ever achieves 98/99%.
I might trial setting the battery to 110ah and see if we get a decent 100%. To be honest I'm good at 98%....
Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 AM
New Members

Hi Cybernezz,

Been keeping an eye on your thread and hoping you would come back with an update.

Glad to hear you appear to have sorted out your problems. So to confirm, you have a 100Ah installed with a 90Ah coded and you have registered the new battery? What did you use to reigister it by the way, DIS?

I've seen quite a few posts from people who are of the view that provided that you fit something close to what was installed previously then that is good enough. Notwithstanding the fact that just about every battery supplier cites a 100Ah as the one for a 530 or 535 now, finding a 90Ah is only possible (from my research) in a smaller physical height size of 175mm. So I reckon what you have done will be OK.

I have mine back from BMW now after they re-synched the DME & CAS, so annoyed that it went off to them in the first place when I had the kit and know how to do it myself.

Anyway they also said that the battery should be replaced too as it is not charging to the optimum (which of course I knew anyway) and in all likelihood contributed to the anti-tamper being invoked.

So I am thinking that going down your route is the way to go, will probably order a Bosch like yours later.

Post up again if/when you decide to code to 110Ah, I'd be interested to know if you get to the magic 100%.