E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 530xi cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 09:07 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530xi
Default E60 530xi cranks but won't start

Hello all,

I have a 2007 530xi on which the starter quit recently. I have replaced it successfully and put the car back together to notice it won't start. I received a transmission fault code then noticed one of the connectors under the intake was disconnected. Connected that back, the fault went away, the car would crank then and turn over and ultimately stalling immediately. I assumed it was a vacuum leak somewhere, removed the intake manifold again to notice two of the hoses from the crankcase vent system were broken probably during the starter installation. I replaced both the hoses, put new intake manifold gasket and checked all the connectors, now the car will long crank but won't turn over. It is not throwing any codes, if anyone has any insight on this please point me in the right direction. Thank you!

EDIT: The problem has been fixed, bought a new battery, changed the entire CCV system (hoses and valves), and all new spark plugs. The car has finally started and drove it today. Thank you all for your input and assistance!

Last edited by sunnymore; 10-10-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Same exact thing happened to me after I replaced my starter. I found a cracked hose, replaced it and all was well.

If your issue happened after you replaced the starter, you may have broken more hoses or not re-connected something just right. I had the hardest time connecting the hose to the throttle body. It kept appearing to be on right, but it wasn't. I finally got it right.
The following users liked this post:
Lehigh20 (09-11-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 07:54 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
Same exact thing happened to me after I replaced my starter. I found a cracked hose, replaced it and all was well.

If your issue happened after you replaced the starter, you may have broken more hoses or not re-connected something just right. I had the hardest time connecting the hose to the throttle body. It kept appearing to be on right, but it wasn't. I finally got it right.
Yeah, hopefully it's not another broken hose haha. Would you happen to know where I can find a layout or diagram of all the hoses to verify if I connected them all?
Old 09-10-2022, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

I did not just mean hoses, there's not that many to require a diagram. Re-check everything. I had to disconnect so much stuff on mine.

What reader are you using to check for codes? Often times, I will get no BMW DTCs but then switch to OBD2 and I'll have codes there. If your car won't turn over, you have to had thrown a code(s).
Old 09-11-2022, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I did not just mean hoses, there's not that many to require a diagram. Re-check everything. I had to disconnect so much stuff on mine.

What reader are you using to check for codes? Often times, I will get no BMW DTCs but then switch to OBD2 and I'll have codes there. If your car won't turn over, you have to had thrown a code(s).
+1. Just helped someone last night that had 4 codes on his reader had him hook up ISTA and he had 18 errors and it showed him what was really going on and why he had the issue he was having
Old 09-11-2022, 06:54 AM
New Members

I surprisingly didn't have to disconnect anything major, I was able to pull the intake back with most stuff still on it. The only things I remember removing were air box, filter, throttle body , power steering reservoir ( unbolted and moved out of the way), and just the rest of the accessories on top such as cabin filters and strut mount etc.

I have the creator C310 that I use to scan. I also tried to start it with the maf sensor connector disconnected to see if it would start, maybe the DME was compensating for the vacuum leak. Still had no luck.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:56 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
+1. Just helped someone last night that had 4 codes on his reader had him hook up ISTA and he had 18 errors and it showed him what was really going on and why he had the issue he was having
Yeah, I may have to go the same route and try ISTA, hopefully I'll have some luck. It's been a while since I did it, what modules should I scan in your opinion?
Old 09-11-2022, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by sunnymore
Yeah, I may have to go the same route and try ISTA, hopefully I'll have some luck. It's been a while since I did it, what modules should I scan in your opinion?
It will scan all the modules upon connecting to your car and give you a list of every error your it has. You can take a pic of the list and attach here for review if you get lost
Old 09-11-2022, 07:40 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
It will scan all the modules upon connecting to your car and give you a list of every error your it has. You can take a pic of the list and attach here for review if you get lost
Oh my bad, I think I confused it for INPA and NCS expert, those are the programs I have access to right now.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:06 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by sunnymore
I surprisingly didn't have to disconnect anything major, I was able to pull the intake back with most stuff still on it. The only things I remember removing were air box, filter, throttle body , power steering reservoir ( unbolted and moved out of the way), and just the rest of the accessories on top such as cabin filters and strut mount etc.

I have the creator C310 that I use to scan. I also tried to start it with the maf sensor connector disconnected to see if it would start, maybe the DME was compensating for the vacuum leak. Still had no luck.
If you didn't have to disconnect a lot to get he intake out of the way, you probably broke on or more of the hard plastic emissions/vacuum hoses. Some of those, if not connected, will cause the car to stall after starting. Getting the intake fully off is a minor PITA, but it just makes it so much easier to get done what needs to be done. It's also possible you messed up the crankshaft position sensor or wire. If you removed the sensor, possibly it isn't properly reseated. Maybe the + cable connection the starter is loose. Maybe the + jumper terminal is loose. Maybe the ground strap is done. Definitely go over everything again.

Quick Reply: E60 530xi cranks but won't start