E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 530i starts but idrive and all other electronics not working prope

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I really need all the help I can get. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yesterday I finished the "Battery" retrofit program through SSS progman on my E60. I ran the program to register my battery onto the system. I changed the battery setting from a 110Ah Lead-Acid Battery to a 90 AH Lead-Acid Battery. While running the retrofit program, I noticed that my iDrive screen went to the BMW start up splash screen that comes up when the car is first started. I didn't think anything of it and figured it was the car being programmed. However, after completing the process, I tried pushing my driver seat forward and it wasn't working. I also tried locking the doors and the locks weren't working. I also tried turning on the car and it wasn't turning on. I disconnected the battery momentarily and connected it back up and tried to turn the car on again. This time, the car turned on, but, it seemed to struggle to turn on. My instrument cluster was on but the RPM gauge wasn't working and the small screen on the instrument cluster that indicates the mileage, current gear, etc. wasn't indicating what gear I was on (i.e. Parking, Drive, Neutral, etc.). My seats, door locks and RPM gauge aren't working and the iDrive turns on but stays on the BMW start up screen. I tried connecting to the Vehicle again with Progman and DIS and INPA with no success. It can no longer communicate with the vehicle. I am hoping that this is being caused by the Micro Power Module (MPM) that may have gone bad during the programming. But...I'm not 100% certain that this is the case. The car continues to turn on fine and the headlights and tail lights work. However, I do notice that when I turn off the car the tail lights stay on and the auto turn off function for the headlights doesn't work. I have to manually set the light switch to the "Off" position.

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys. I have obtained lots of useful information from here before and I'm hoping anyone can help me out with this issue. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Was the car hooked with an external power supply while reprogramming? I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but maybe there was a lack of sufficient wattage during programming and this caused problems ?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Was the car hooked with an external power supply while reprogramming? I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but maybe there was a lack of sufficient wattage during programming and this caused problems ?

Yes...this was hooked up to a CTEK 3300 US Battery charger. Thanks for the response....
Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 528IA

Originally Posted by cmunoz323
Hello all, I really need all the help I can get. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yesterday I finished the "Battery" retrofit program through SSS progman on my E60. I ran the program to register my battery onto the system. I changed the battery setting from a 110Ah Lead-Acid Battery to a 90 AH Lead-Acid Battery This time, the car turned on, but, it seemed to struggle to turn on. My instrument cluster was on but the RPM gauge wasn't working and the small screen on the instrument cluster that indicates the mileage, current gear, etc. wasn't indicating what gear I was on (i.e. Parking, Drive, Neutral, etc.). My seats, door locks and RPM gauge aren't working and the iDrive turns on but stays on the BMW start up screen.
Houston we have a problem!!! What year is your car? Now while you doing the programming did you have the engine on? Or just the key on the ignition?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Members

it's a 2006 BMW 530i. I didn't have the engine on...just the key in the ignition with the key switch on...
Old 03-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I have read how some of the functions in the car have a low power mode where they may shut down as the available power declines. Maybe the changing of the battery type is causing the system to think "low available power" and is shutting things down??
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I have read how some of the functions in the car have a low power mode where they may shut down as the available power declines. Maybe the changing of the battery type is causing the system to think "low available power" and is shutting things down??
What do you suggest I do? I have no means of communicating with the vehicle. I also took off the Micro Power Module (MPM) and turned on the car to see how the car behaved. It behaved the same way as when the MPM was connected. I tried another MPM but no luck... :thumbsdown:
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Any help of this (BMW Wiring Diagram System: Micro Power Module)?

Micro power module

The micro power module

* is connected to the PT-CAN data bus,
* is supplied with voltage via terminal 30<52,
* has an additional terminal 15. If terminal 30<52 is interrupted, the terminal 15 supplies the micro power module with voltage. The entry ?Terminal 30? is created in the fault code memory.
* can activate terminal 30<57 across a bistable relay. In the ?normal? operating mode, terminal 30<57 of the micro power module is always switched on. It is disconnected when a fault status is detected in the vehicle that could lead to discharge of the battery and thus to the vehicle not starting. The following control units can be switched on and off by the micro power module:
o Car Communication Computer
o Multi Audio System Controller
o DVD changer
o CD changer
o Navigation system

Switching on terminal 30<57

In the following cases, the relay for switching on terminal 30<57 is activated:

* the first time the power supply is applied to the micro power module
* when there is a voltage level at the input of terminal 15
* terminal R is ON
* on locking or unlocking the vehicle
* on opening or closing the luggage compartment lid
* on opening or closing a door

Switching off terminal 30<57

In the following cases, the relay for switching off terminal 30<57 is activated:

* when the starting capability limit of the battery is reached
* if the number of ?Wake-up signals? reaches a threshold of 30
* when there is an undervoltage (U < 9 V) with bus activity for a period of time greater than 60 seconds
* when the data bus K-CAN (with terminal R Off) remains awake after a period of 60 minutes.

Intelligent battery sensor

The state (voltage, current, temperature) of the battery is measured by the intelligent battery sensor. The intelligent battery sensor is connected by a serial cable and a wake-up cable to the Digital Engine Electronics (or Digital Diesel Electronics). The Digital Engine electronics (or Digital Diesel Electronics) send the information received from the battery sensor to the micro power module. On the basis of this information, the micro power module switches terminal 30<57 off or on.

- Antti -
Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Any help of this (BMW Wiring Diagram System: Micro Power Module)?

Micro power module

The micro power module

* is connected to the PT-CAN data bus,
* is supplied with voltage via terminal 30<52,
* has an additional terminal 15. If terminal 30<52 is interrupted, the terminal 15 supplies the micro power module with voltage. The entry ?Terminal 30? is created in the fault code memory.
* can activate terminal 30<57 across a bistable relay. In the ?normal? operating mode, terminal 30<57 of the micro power module is always switched on. It is disconnected when a fault status is detected in the vehicle that could lead to discharge of the battery and thus to the vehicle not starting. The following control units can be switched on and off by the micro power module:
o Car Communication Computer
o Multi Audio System Controller
o DVD changer
o CD changer
o Navigation system

Switching on terminal 30<57

In the following cases, the relay for switching on terminal 30<57 is activated:

* the first time the power supply is applied to the micro power module
* when there is a voltage level at the input of terminal 15
* terminal R is ON
* on locking or unlocking the vehicle
* on opening or closing the luggage compartment lid
* on opening or closing a door

Switching off terminal 30<57

In the following cases, the relay for switching off terminal 30<57 is activated:

* when the starting capability limit of the battery is reached
* if the number of ?Wake-up signals? reaches a threshold of 30
* when there is an undervoltage (U < 9 V) with bus activity for a period of time greater than 60 seconds
* when the data bus K-CAN (with terminal R Off) remains awake after a period of 60 minutes.

Intelligent battery sensor

The state (voltage, current, temperature) of the battery is measured by the intelligent battery sensor. The intelligent battery sensor is connected by a serial cable and a wake-up cable to the Digital Engine Electronics (or Digital Diesel Electronics). The Digital Engine electronics (or Digital Diesel Electronics) send the information received from the battery sensor to the micro power module. On the basis of this information, the micro power module switches terminal 30<57 off or on.

- Antti -
You think it may be the intelligent battery sensor that's not letting the MPM activate all the electronics?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Contributors

It could be.
What about the DME (Digital Engine Electronics) unit? One could think that it wouldn't allow the motor to start if it was broken, but it could be the reason .

I'm just wondering why you're not getting any contact with your car via INPA/DIS?

- Antti -

Quick Reply: E60 530i starts but idrive and all other electronics not working prope