E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 530i intermittant crank but no start + engine cut out

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 05:22 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i Sedan
Default E60 530i intermittant crank but no start + engine cut out

Hey folks, I've got a New Zealand spec 2006 (N52) 530i, which has some weird starting issues.

If it hasn't been driven for a few minutes it starts fine, however if you stop it, then start it again within <3mins or so, it'll just sit there cranking and not start. Occasionally if you let it crank for long enough it might fire up, but usually not.

So far it's been fixed 100% of the time by turning the car off for 5mins or so and then starting it again.

Today however, when coasting down a long hill, the motor cut out and would not restart immediately. After waiting a few mins again, it started as normal and drove fine again.

I've pulled codes with INPA, and at the time of the cut out it shows codes for ALL injectors - 2e30, 2e31, 2e32, 2e33, 2e34, 2e35 as well as 2E8D (IBD) 2E84 (water pump communication) and 2EF5 (Thermostat)

See attached error log.

I suspect all of these errors however are from when I was trying to START the car after it had stopped, given it shows 192rpm, which sounds like cranking to me?

Only recent work on the car is a new battery (Which did have the appropriate adaptions reset afterwards)

My only thoughts are Crank sensor (though would that give more logical codes?) or maybe some kind of fuel pump relay issue?
Attached Files
File Type: txt
errors.txt (11.0 KB, 143 views)
Old 04-03-2017, 07:25 PM
New Members

My Ride: ,retro sport button,comfort seats,m5 front and rear swaybars,pullbars,550 brakes kit with slotted and drilled rotors,upper strut brace,lower 2pt brace,3im,power box,m5 eom wheels,m5 rep bumper and skirts.
Model Year: 2007

Sounds like a fuel pump relay, getting hot and shutting down, the 5 min waiting is enough time for the relay to cool down and reset.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:30 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530i Sedan

Originally Posted by JuniorB
Sounds like a fuel pump relay, getting hot and shutting down, the 5 min waiting is enough time for the relay to cool down and reset.

Ooh, good theory. Are we talking about the EKP module, or is there another relay I should be aware of?

The documentation I've found around the relay/fuse system is really crap, and mentions a fuel pump relay in the glovebox, but I don't have any relays where they're located on the diagram.