E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 530i 6-speed auto box problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Black

Recently the gearbox in my E60 has developed a mind of its own when in Manual mode. After shifting from Auto (S) mode to Manual mode (DS), it will then shift into a higher gear (ie from DS to 4th to 5th) without my touching the gear lever. Then when I try to downshift again back to, say, M3, the electronics will not allow me to do so. However if I leave the gearbox in Auto mode and use kickdown the gear changes down but then changes back up at a lower rev than I would expect.

At the local BMW dealer, the mechanic tells me there is no error being reported on the computer system, but after a week at the garage they called to tell me that the problem may be due to a failed (or failing) water pump. However there is no error messaqe regarding the water pump either. Their logic is that the water pump cannot be functioning properly so the engine is running hot so the engine management system tries to keep everything functioning at as low a temperature as possible (including keeping the revs to as low a level as possible) thus when the driver puts the gearbox in to M mode and the revs are higher, the EMS will instruct a change to a higher gear to lessen the revs and keep the engine operating at a lower level. The mechanic has suggested a change in water pump (which he tells me is an electric pump in this model (as opposed to what?) hence the high price). However there are no warning signs on iDrive about high temperatures.

Might a re-boot/remap of the gearbox software help? Also could it be a problem with the mechanics of the gearbox itself? Any ideas if this is an electronic or mechanical issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Ziggy.

My e60 has done 107,000 kms and is no longer under warranty (of course!)
Old 06-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Get a 2nd opinion from another dealer. That way you know that it's not just BS talk of 1 tech guy. GL
Old 06-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Check the hidden OBD menu to verify if the engine is running above normal spec temp.

Do you know how to do this? There are a few guides on the forum on how to access the hidden menu.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Members

Thanks for those suggestions. The garage gave me a list of Error Codes from the diagnostic equipment. 2E82 and 2E84. Apparently BMW Thailand have come across this kind of problem with the gearbox before and this is the fix they came up with. I'm still not convinced!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

I have experienced something similar with my 06 530xi. It's intermittent...seems to happen mostly when I'm cruising along in the mid-range of the gear and hit a bump...which makes me think it's related to a contact? Other times it will let me run the revs right up. Since you usually have your hand on the gearshift when driving in manual, I thought at first that it was just sensitive enough that the bump would cause me to un-intentionally shift. Still working out what's going on there, trying to reproduce with my hand off the shifter. Other than that the transmission performs smoothly so it's puzzling. Let us know what you find out.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Members

After getting the car out of the garage with nothing done by the mechanics, I headed out of town for a couple of days. Oddly enough the transmission worked fine - even when in M mode. I tried to replicate the problem but could not - changing down a gear in M and it held in the selected gear until I shifted up - it didn't shift up of its own accord like before. Whether at high or medium speed and whether trying to be gentle or thrashing it around it worked (seemingly) flawlessly. All quite strange... will see if the problem re-emerges. Thanks everyone for your interest and feedback/suggestions.

Z