E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 530d: jump started now no idrive, music or bluetooth phone

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 03:55 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d M Sport
Model Year: 2006
Default E60 530d: jump started now no idrive, music or bluetooth phone

i parked up, upon return the battery was dead (clicking). I had previous battery issues but had charged the battery with success.

Attempted to jump start the e60 via a boost pack and then with other cars at the front ports - no luck. STUPIDLY went directly to the battery at the back and tried to jump directly via the terminals there. No start success so I end up getting a new battery and the car started first time but no idrive, CD/ radio or Bluetooth phone. This then affects my screen in the dash as no accessibility without idrive. Other components like the air conditioning Andy park sensors work as normal.

I have checked all of the fuses (front and back) and power is available to each device (idrive screen, CD/ laser player and Bluetooth in the boot. There is no CCC unit attached to the CD player so I am stumped as to why these three devices have stopped working.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Use ISTA, INPA, or a BMW code reader to find out the DTC codes, and then post them.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:21 AM
New Members

Ok - will do at next opportunity
Old 04-08-2021, 08:41 PM
New Members

Ok, I got in using INPA. Selected my car etc.....

All of the selections work - ie engine, body, seats, safety etc BUT the “communication” option throws up a message stating “no communication is working!” So I cannot communicate with the communication tab to get a relevant error code!!!!

I have have a few error codes throughout but none of them apply to any of the idrive, Bluetooth or CD/ radio. Upon further investigation, my seats, steering wheel adjustment and dash brightness adjustment don’t work either. I can actually move the seats via the “activate” option in the seats menu on INPA - this leads me to the conclusion that the motors are good but some module somewhere is stopping them from working normally.

I have test exchanged the KBM module (otherwise known as the Central Electronics Module) located behind the glove box without success. Nothing changed.

Jeez, this is mega frustrating and I hope someone on here can shed some light on where to go from here.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:35 AM
New Members

I decided to put the glove box area back together. In the process the CD player/ cassette kept trying to load & play.

This does not make sense as the CD cassette kept trying to load once I reconnected the battery. So I investigated further into the positive glove box fuse panel and all of the associated positive wires into the KBM/ Central Electronics Module. With the key in and ignition on (engine off), all but one of the wires registered a 12+ volts reading. The one terminal that did not have a reading was a red wire as circled in the attached photo. As far as I can determine this should also be 12+ volts. Can anyone back this up and is this the possible culprit?

This is the left hand connection into the KBM Module behind the e60 glove box. Circled is the only wire that is not showing a 12v+ reading.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, let's get the easy things out of the way, first. Have you tried disconnecting the battery - side for awhile, then reconnecting it? Are you very sure you did not knock something loose back there?
Old 04-11-2021, 12:11 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530d msport Lci 2007

the wire circled has an orange trace, i believe this becomes live with the key in the run position. check again. then check the fuses in the ECM box in the engine compartment.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:47 PM
New Members

Thanks for the replies.
1. I’ve tried the battery disconnect & checked the wiring in the battery area. The small blight blue connector was disconnected when I got the car. It has been disconnected since - I did connect it once and the car would not even crank over. So it remains disconnected!
2. I tested the “orange” wire with key in/ ignition on. It still had no power whilst the rest did.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

You really need to get all of the codes. I personally prefer using a stand-alone BMW code reader; I see some online as low as $45.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:47 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
You really need to get all of the codes. I personally prefer using a stand-alone BMW code reader; I see some online as low as $45.
Hi donpb,
Im not sure anything will be different. I can list all of the codes if you want but no codes were idrive, cd, bluetooth related. INPA wouldnt even link with the "communication" section as I stated before!
I think I need to "bite the bullit" and get a pro to check it out.

Quick Reply: E60 530d: jump started now no idrive, music or bluetooth phone