E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 530d future buyer questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STODWYER' post='384881' date='Jan 29 2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info.
I previously owned a 2.8litre petrol and it broke me on mileage. I was thinking of a 525d if not petrol but i do like the economics of the 530d as in alot of torque and still not burning large amounts of fuel.
Don't touch the 'old' 525d - get an 'old' 530d instead! The 530d is actually more efficient than the 525d...
Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='384876' date='Jan 29 2007, 04:29 PM
On British roads maybe... Irish roads are much worse...
(well, some newer roads are ok but most of the road network is total junk)
run-flats coupled with a lowered suspension are a recipe for disaster

Would not call our roads in the South West much good either.

I have driven both types along some pretty crap roads and still prefer sports suspension to my SE.

Guess he will have to try both and see which he prefers.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Sean,

For my contribution, I would tell you to stick with a 530d manual - the six cogger is one of the better ones that Mr. BMW has made, and if that is your preference, then stick with it. The Auto's are OK, but forget the steptronic bit, it is really only a toy - you cannot use it for serious gearchanges as it is too slow. (Remember the last second flick down the box on a fast approach to a tight bend? By the time the auto box has thought about it, you are round the bend (or in the ditch because it tries to change at the apex!!). The 530d has such a huge and wide torque band you don't really need as many downshifts either, even when pressing on - red lining on a diesel is a waste of time, unlike the petrol.

As for value, if you can find one, then you can pick up a manual for a lot less than an Auto, and the differential in a couple of years will be less. The perception by Dealers is that nobody wants a manual 5er, so when they have one as a trade-in, they sell it cheap to get shot of it. I got mine like that, but it had only been advertised for a week. They had an E61 manual 530d in too and that went within the week. It did shock the salesman, as he realised that there are people out there who actively prefer a manual box. I've had both, and I'll stick to the manual, thanks.

If you are a diehard racer, then I suppose the Sport it has to be. My preference is for the SE and scrap the runflats.

The BMW SatNav is indeed well integrated, but I don't know how good the navigation is in Eire. I bought a Sat Nav last year, and one of my essentials was mapping for Southern Ireland, as I was taking a holiday there. With 90% of Sat Nav's here in the UK, the Southern Ireland maps were only major cities and main roads, and that was with full "European" maps too. That wasn't good enough for me. The latest Garmin maps are very comprehensive, certainly in the Limerick/Clare area. As of last year, the Tom Tom maps were just main roads. Is it still illegal to have "safety" camera positions on your Sat Nav??

As for going down to a 520d. . . Good in theory (indeed it is a very good car), but my experience is that after a silky six, you never want to go back to a four cylinder car - they are harsh and they vibrate - not much on the great scale of things admittedly, but when you've been spoiled, it's difficult to go back to the "old days"!! I can't comment on a 525d as I've never driven one.

I am a diehard petrolhead, but the smile that you get when you change up at 4200 revs and feel the surge of the six, like nothing any petrol engine gives you, is tremendous. I wouldn't be without my petrol car in the garage, but I do like my big dirty diesel.

As a side issue, having seen the cost of living in Eire, is it cost effective to buy a car over in Britain? or do your taxes take care of the differential??
Old 01-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='385104' date='Jan 30 2007, 01:00 AM

As a side issue, having seen the cost of living in Eire, is it cost effective to buy a car over in Britain? or do your taxes take care of the differential??
Before tax is applied, Ireland is one of the cheapest places to buy a car (tax is so high than manufacturers strip down the cars a bit to bring the price down). The double-taxation is the killer (VRT + VAT).
Importing a new car from the UK could end up costing more. You would pay the pre-tax UK price then Irish taxes would be applied on import. In fact, it more common for British people to import new cars from Ireland as the pre-tax prices are very competitive (to compensate for our punitive tax system).
Old 01-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='385271' date='Jan 30 2007, 08:44 AM
Before tax is applied, Ireland is one of the cheapest places to buy a car (tax is so high than manufacturers strip down the cars a bit to bring the price down). The double-taxation is the killer (VRT + VAT).
Importing a new car from the UK could end up costing more. You would pay the pre-tax UK price then Irish taxes would be applied on import. In fact, it more common for British people to import new cars from Ireland as the pre-tax prices are very competitive (to compensate for our punitive tax system).
Well, let me qualify that...
For new cars you don't save money and you add hassle and some risk (Sterling)
For used cars, it depends on how soft the UK market is... a few years ago it might have made sense for some people. However, the Irish market is currently glutted with used cars so it is more competitive.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Members

My Ride: Nothing at the moment. Looking for e60 to convert to m5 replica

Well for once i wont be going for a new car. I am hoping for a 2004 530d SE MANUAL. I must take one for a drive and see. I love the shape of them and the comfort of sitting in them.
AlwynMike-- Thanks for your bit of information. Ireland is begining to be a high standard of living state. BUT it would still be cheaper for me to get a 2004 530d in Uk and bring it to Ireland and Pay the VRT tax. 30% than to buy one here.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='384878' date='Jan 29 2007, 06:37 PM
I know you might like manual but the BMW automatics are very, very nice... and with Steptronic you can use the auto in a pseudo-manual mode (although this becomes tiresome after a while)

Insurance on a 530d might be around the same or higher than the 530i (tax is identical as we are taxed on cc and not CO2). You will find it harder to sell on a large petrol in Ireland (as you know). The diesel would be more economical but it would take you years and many tens of thousands of kms to get your money back!

If you really want a manual consider a 520d... apart from the fact that it is much cheaper to buy, the tax and insurance would be a lot less. It's a strong engine too. Take one out for a test drive... it might be what you are after. the resale value would also be good.
Sorry to brake You day dream about getting auto over manual IF You concider Your self as an manual guy! I would never take manual as long as my limbs work coordinated way. And I believe that You would also be disappointed.

But I go for You about 520d... all other I like in that car, but engine noise.

All that said, I would not give my manual 530d away before I have money for new one!

Skaffa

PS 18 months in Athlone gave some idea about roads on Your green island.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Members

My Ride: Nothing at the moment. Looking for e60 to convert to m5 replica

Originally Posted by skaffa' post='385527' date='Jan 30 2007, 10:09 PM
Sorry to brake You day dream about getting auto over manual IF You concider Your self as an manual guy! I would never take manual as long as my limbs work coordinated way. And I believe that You would also be disappointed.

But I go for You about 520d... all other I like in that car, but engine noise.

All that said, I would not give my manual 530d away before I have money for new one!

Skaffa

PS 18 months in Athlone gave some idea about roads on Your green island.
Many Thanks Skaffa,
I am seriously considering the 530d or 520d both in manual. I would find the driving experience a boring one. Also does anyone knoe if its easy or recommended to install a quad exhaust system to the 530d?. Will it affect engine or preformance?.

Athlone roads would be a good example of our road network. Smooth to total bone shacking!!!!..

Sean
Old 01-31-2007, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by STODWYER' post='385742' date='Jan 31 2007, 09:29 AM
Many Thanks Skaffa,
I am seriously considering the 530d or 520d both in manual. I would find the driving experience a boring one. Also does anyone knoe if its easy or recommended to install a quad exhaust system to the 530d?. Will it affect engine or preformance?.

Athlone roads would be a good example of our road network. Smooth to total bone shacking!!!!..
If you want manual then go for it! I originally went for manual myself but test drove an automatic and never looked back...

I doubt the quad exhaust will make any noticable different to performance. If you want a boost, look at DMS remaps... (Lots of info on this forum!)
Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by STODWYER' post='385742' date='Jan 31 2007, 11:29 AM
Many Thanks Skaffa,

Sean
EU funded or cofunded roads are ok, all others full of twists, dips, humps, rocks and potholes. But BMW take those like a dream.

Quad will not give You any extra boost, not alone.

Skaffa

Quick Reply: E60 530d future buyer questions