E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 530d future buyer questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Nothing at the moment. Looking for e60 to convert to m5 replica

Hi all,
I am in the process of searching for an e60 530d in black or grey. I just need some advice in relation to what to look for. I would LOVE a sports suspension, leather, sat nav.. I dont mind about the outside as i am thinking of going for the m5 full kit from quad_m. Prices vary between the standard suspension and sports over here. Also would automatic be a better reseller than the manual?.

Any help would be great.
Sean
Limerick, Ireland...
Old 01-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by STODWYER' post='384848' date='Jan 29 2007, 03:25 PM
Hi all,
I am in the process of searching for an e60 530d in black or grey. I just need some advice in relation to what to look for. I would LOVE a sports suspension, leather, sat nav.. I dont mind about the outside as i am thinking of going for the m5 full kit from quad_m. Prices vary between the standard suspension and sports over here. Also would automatic be a better reseller than the manual?.
Auto's are always popular in the 5, although always a good stick (nice pun) to beat up a dealer when purchasing... (Works both ways...) The 530d works well in auto guise. Lower versions suit the manual better.

Personally, I think the SE with sports suspension works well but it's personal preference. I found the standard SE not as tight as I would of liked... Leather and SatNav always popular but standard fit SatNav isn't the best but well integrated.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by STODWYER' post='384848' date='Jan 29 2007, 03:25 PM

- as you know sports suspension or M-Sport won't be as easy to find... most people choose SE due to our lovely roads.
- You hardly ever see manual 530d s in Ireland. 99% are automatic. A manual would be very hard to sell (or buy).
Old 01-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='384865' date='Jan 29 2007, 03:54 PM
- as you know sports suspension or M-Sport won't be as easy to find... most people choose SE due to our lovely roads.
- You hardly ever see manual 530d s in Ireland. 99% are automatic. A manual would be very hard to sell (or buy).
Thanks all,
Would be easy to fit the sports or m-sports suspension to the ordinary SE?. Also i am keen on the sat nav. Is it any good. Should i just forget it and use a Tom Tom or similar item?.

Sean
Old 01-29-2007, 07:13 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by colejl' post='384864' date='Jan 29 2007, 03:52 PM
Auto's are always popular in the 5, The 530d works well in auto guise. Lower versions suit the manual better.

Personally, I think the SE with sports suspension works well . I found the standard SE not as tight as I would of liked...
Agree entirely. SatNav is not wirth paying much extra for, a Tom Tom works better and can be taken with you.
Xenon lights, Leather (essential), Sports suspension or M-Sports works better than standard SE IMO. Anything else is icing on the cake, do not pay extra for more options if buying used, the dealer sure as hell will not have done so when taking the car in! Try to get a skinny spare wheel and jack thrown in, just incase you hate the run flat tyres.

If you are buying used take the Transmission slam test. Slow down to just 5mph or so , then just before you come to a halt accelerate fairly quickly. If the revs rise but the car hesitates for about a second then suddenyl shoots forward, look for another car. It is a well known problem (Feature?) of the auto box, some cars have it much worse than others. With a new car you are stuck with it, buying used enables you to sift out a badly affected car.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='384865' date='Jan 29 2007, 10:54 AM
For a good reason; the 3.0d engine has got enough torque to pull a plane and an Auto mated to this engine = very relaxed driving
Flick it into DS mode and the 530d hunts for gears like a banned fox hunter

So basically, if you like a relaxed driving, you could do a lot worse than a 530d with an Auto. If you like a sporty drive buy a manual, but I would order a petrol to go with that. I still can't mate diesel to sport for a big reason - Responsiveness (Turbo lag)
Old 01-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='384871' date='Jan 29 2007, 04:15 PM
For a good reason; the 3.0d engine has got enough torque to pull a plane and an Auto mated to this engine = very relaxed driving
Flick it into DS mode and the 530d hunts for gears like a banned fox hunter

So basically, if you like a relaxed driving, you could do a lot worse than a 530d with an Auto. If you like a sporty drive buy a manual, but I would order a petrol to go with that. I still can't mate diesel to sport for a big reason - Responsiveness (Turbo lag)
I myself have grown up with manual petrol cars. I love using the manual. Cant see myself driving an auto but if its better for the cars engine and a better reseller then i might have to do it. Would still like to drive a manual and see it. Id love to have the 530 petrol but with high mileage and insurance over here in Ireland its better to go with the diesel.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by KAF' post='384869' date='Jan 29 2007, 04:13 PM
Sports suspension or M-Sports works better than standard SE IMO.
On British roads maybe... Irish roads are much worse...
(well, some newer roads are ok but most of the road network is total junk)
run-flats coupled with a lowered suspension are a recipe for disaster
Old 01-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by STODWYER' post='384874' date='Jan 29 2007, 04:22 PM
I myself have grown up with manual petrol cars. I love using the manual. Cant see myself driving an auto but if its better for the cars engine and a better reseller then i might have to do it. Would still like to drive a manual and see it. Id love to have the 530 petrol but with high mileage and insurance over here in Ireland its better to go with the diesel.
I know you might like manual but the BMW automatics are very, very nice... and with Steptronic you can use the auto in a pseudo-manual mode (although this becomes tiresome after a while)

Insurance on a 530d might be around the same or higher than the 530i (tax is identical as we are taxed on cc and not CO2). You will find it harder to sell on a large petrol in Ireland (as you know). The diesel would be more economical but it would take you years and many tens of thousands of kms to get your money back!

If you really want a manual consider a 520d... apart from the fact that it is much cheaper to buy, the tax and insurance would be a lot less. It's a strong engine too. Take one out for a test drive... it might be what you are after. the resale value would also be good.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='384878' date='Jan 29 2007, 04:37 PM
I know you might like manual but the BMW automatics are very, very nice... and with Steptronic you can use the auto in a pseudo-manual mode (although this becomes tiresome after a while)

Insurance on a 530d might be around the same or higher than the 530i (tax is identical as we are taxed on cc and not CO2). You will find it harder to sell on a large petrol in Ireland (as you know). The diesel would be more economical but it would take you years and many tens of thousands of kms to get your money back!

If you really want a manual consider a 520d... apart from the fact that it is much cheaper to buy, the tax and insurance would be a lot less. It's a strong engine too. Take one out for a test drive... it might be what you are after. the resale value would also be good.
Thanks for the info.
I previously owned a 2.8litre petrol and it broke me on mileage. I was thinking of a 525d if not petrol but i do like the economics of the 530d as in alot of torque and still not burning large amounts of fuel. I just have the feeling that with such a large car you need a larger engine. I might take a test drive in both and see. I am gettign married in few months so money is scarce but will be returning to the car scene afterwards. HOPEFULLY.. ha.

Sean
Shat part of Cork are you from?.
Im Kilmallock area.

Quick Reply: E60 530d future buyer questions