E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e31 Owner here looking at e60s (pics and newb ?s inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,
850ci owner here, usually over on bimmerforums, but I found this site and it's quite impressive. Great searchable e60 database everyone has helped compile here. I've owned a few e34s and now a v-12 850ci and the e60's have started to grow on me. I can usually be found driving my old FJ60 Land Cruiser, and using the e31 for weekends and date nights. I've decided I need a sedan for work and have pretty much narrowed it down to 545's and 550's. I'm looking for around 60k miles and under, 05-06, maybe 07 if it was a pretty good deal and had some questions regarding these years. I definitely want sport, and cold weather package and am trying to figure the rest out. Here are my questions....

Am I going to be leaving any "must have feature sets" on the table if I get an 05-06 versus an 07?

Any problems avoided by getting 06-07 versus 05?

Logic 7 vs "premium sound"? As I understand there are three tiers to e60 audio (read recent logic 7 thread) Are the differences pretty subtle between these two, versus the jump from basic sound vs logic 7? I'd obviously like logic 7 if it

Is a 545/550 with either black on auburn, grey metallic on auburn, or white on auburn, a needle in a haystack? Sure seems like it.

Any repairs around the 50-60k mark on these cars I should look to have been performed?

I'm getting conflicting info on what sport package means on these model years, are there two seperate packages?

What are comfort seats and do I want them vs sport? Can I get them on sport packaged models?

Also I haven't made my mind up completely, but if someone has one of these models I'm interested in, I may trade with cash on my end to cover. Thanks in advance guys!!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Members

any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

550i all the way. I doubt u can get 06/07 545i, as they didnt make em in those years.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Man, I love the 8 series, beautiful cars. As for the E60, I'd get the 550 if I were buying one now
Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

I love my '06 550. Gotta have the iPod interface. I also wish I had the keyless access feature-- where the car automatically unlocks and lets you start it with the push button all with the key in your pocket. The naturally aspirated V8 is pretty solid--but watch out for tranny issues! The lights on the "LCI" model are cooler then the pre-LCI. Not sure when LCI started-- but it was after '06. Lastly, get the best sound system they offer. My Logic 7 is really nice. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Senior Members

Definitely go for the later year model since they were able to fix or upgrade the complaints from previous model. If possible, get the LCI, it's 2008 or later. Better headlights, better interior but pretty much same engine in the 550 unless you get the 535.

Do get the xenon headlights and the sport package. Comfort access is a also nice to have.

Btw, love your 850. Used to have one but mine burned a hole in my wallet but i still missed it after all these years.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Welcome to forums. Whether you choose 545 or 550 take one which is less driven and better options and so on..
Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitely have good taste in prior cars. All of these cars at that mileage are going to need to start seeing some repair, depending on how/where it was driven. Definitely have it inspected, and as far as any repairs go I'd say you'll almost certainly be experiencing the need for cooling system maintenance - radiators, certain hoses, temp sensor, etc.

I've had great luck with my '05 545i (knock on wood), with the only options it doesn't have afaik being the ski-bag pass through. It gets treated well, only driven on the weekends and largely in the country/highway though - I don't know how it would do tooling around NYC traffic day-in-day-out.

There's only one thing I really DON'T like about my '05, and that is the sport seats. Both I and every single passenger have noted that the headrest hits you in exactly the wrong angle, regardless of adjustment. The later comfort seats and revised sport seats are much better.

When doing my research the main thing that sold me on the 545i vs. the 550i (other than the price differential and, at the time, availability) was that the 545i is a bit lighter, otherwise, the newer ones are going to be generally more reliable and faster.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Members

for starters how much for the 850?

your questions

Am I going to be leaving any "must have feature sets" on the table if I get an 05-06 versus an 07?
- 07 introduced the "night vision" option - i really wish i had that.

Any problems avoided by getting 06-07 versus 05?
- I *THINK* the 550 is a teeny bit more reliable than the 545's

Logic 7 vs "premium sound"? As I understand there are three tiers to e60 audio (read recent logic 7 thread) Are the differences pretty subtle between these two, versus the jump from basic sound vs logic 7? I'd obviously like logic 7 if it
- the logic 7 is pretty cool but does not have enough "bump" for my tastes - if youre buying used dont let it be a deal breaker - especially if youre going to want a subwoofer in the trunk anyway.

Is a 545/550 with either black on auburn, grey metallic on auburn, or white on auburn, a needle in a haystack? Sure seems like it.
- went with sapphire black - love it! - never looked back

Any repairs around the 50-60k mark on these cars I should look to have been performed?
- if you get an 06 you are still elligible for CPO for a few more months - that would be a nice way to get any required maintainence taken care of (personally dont know though got mine with 75,000 on the clock

I'm getting conflicting info on what sport package means on these model years, are there two seperate packages?
- The "sport" package on mine includes shadowline trim - the m5 6 spd manual transmission and ofc m5 suspension

What are comfort seats and do I want them vs sport? Can I get them on sport packaged models?
- the sport seats are the JUNK!!! theyre the ones where the little leg holder extends outward - they are soo comfy and adjustable and i can only speak for mine with the sport seats but they like reach out beside you and cup you on high g-force turns - its not uncomfortable at all its like the car cradles you through the sideways g's
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Go for the LCI (08 and better). If you're like me and don't like to add subs in the trunk, L7 is a must have, not only does it have kick, but it has additional speakers (center speaker included) that make the sound very crispy and clear, something adding a sub in the trunk cannot do. Sports package with the SAT (sport automatic transmission) is the only way to roll in these. Comfort access is nice, but not a deal breaker. And if you can't get comfortable in the 20 way adjustable sports seats, you are not human. All the other extras like HUD, rear sunshades, split folding seats, night vision, etc are nice to have, but don't hold out for them. I had the split rear seats, HUD, sunshades all in my 545 but not in my 550 and I missed that for like a week then I was over it. Oh yea, cold weather package is nice to have also. Check for bluetooth and SAT radio, you don't think you need that until you start using it. And def get the M-Tech package!!!!!