E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E-60 OPTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007 | 03:08 AM
Senior Members

Unhappy

Please post your Good-Bad [TIPS / opinions / experiences / comparisions]
of any [Std.features / options / accessories / after market add ons]
that you [have / had] in the [present / past] in your Bimmers.

ACC/ ACC & Stop-Go/Regular cruise, Active steering, CA, Lane deviation, Xenons, Comfort seats, wheels/tires, sun shades
Colors/ woodtrims (exterior-Interior), tints, PDC, packages/individual features, HUD, Night vision, Navigation(Prof/Bus)
Entertainment( I-pod, hi-fi sound, HD-Sat. radios), and many other...

This may help us, Thanks.
Old 06-03-2007 | 06:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aqkhan6us' post='431364' date='Jun 3 2007, 07:08 AM
Please post your Good-Bad [TIPS / opinions / experiences / comparisions]
of any [Std.features / options / accessories / after market add ons]
that you [have / had] in the [present / past] in your Bimmers.

ACC/ ACC & Stop-Go/Regular cruise, Active steering, CA, Lane deviation, Xenons, Comfort seats, wheels/tires, sun shades
Colors/ woodtrims (exterior-Interior), tints, PDC, packages/individual features, HUD, Night vision, Navigation(Prof/Bus)
Entertainment( I-pod, hi-fi sound, HD-Sat. radios), and many other...

This may help us, Thanks.
Gosh, you just listed the entire car :=)

I highly recommend Xenon, comfort seats, comfort access, sun shades, PDC, HUD, prof. nav or at least business nav, iPod (6FL). I don?t like active steering that much but that is a matter of taste.
Old 06-03-2007 | 06:27 AM
Senior Members

IMHO, sport package and Logic 7/iPOD are must haves.
Old 06-03-2007 | 06:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

I bought my car used and was on a pretty tight budget so I didn't get all of the features that I really wanted. That being said, I frequently drive my co-workers '06 530 and I can tell you that I'd love to have xenons which make a HUGE difference on the unlit backroads....not to mention they look really cool. Comfort seats will also be on my next car. It's a night and day difference between the standard and and the upgraded seats. He has the ipod connector in his car as well, and personally I think the interface is just complete crap, nothing but problems with his. The NAV is nice, but there's quite a bit missing compared to my $400 Garmin Nuvi 350. I wouldn't pay $1000+ for BMW's NAV. Logic 7 is absolutely amazing, and if you listen to any kind of music then I think you'll really enjoy the Logic 7 package.

Aside from those differences, both cars are a joy to drive.
Old 06-03-2007 | 08:18 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M-Sport Individual Deep Green Metallic 19" Style 172 wheels Individual Champagne leather Media Pack Visibility pack Sunroof Privacy glass

There's alot of techno stuff in the options list which too be honest unless you've paid for yourself, you may not see the full benefit of.

However stick to the basics and you cant go too far wrong, like the sports package, media package which includes sat nav, changer and voice control, visibility pack which has the excellent adaptive bi-xenons.

Comfort seats are nice (and should really be standard) as is the more expensive leather options and HUD, but its down to personal taste really.

My car hasnt got active cruise, but I used to have a Jag XKR with it. However, I stopped using it after setting it at around the motorway speed limit and going round a sweeping left hand bend. Unfortunately the ACC radar picked up a bridge pillar in the central reservation and slammed the anchors on nearly causing a huge pile up!....maybe its been perfected in the 5 but I'll stick to driving with the throttle from now on thanks!

As for aftermarket or modding, the sky's the limit, I suggest you check out the mod forum for advice and ideas
Old 06-04-2007 | 07:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

IMHO:

Must
ACC
Comfort seats
Xenon
PDC
Logic7

Nice to have
Navigation
HUD
DIRAC/Individual High End Audio

Not yet, wait until next generation (F10/F11)
Active steering
Lane departure
Night vision
Old 06-04-2007 | 07:41 AM
Banned

To me the only must have is the sport package (people talk about comfort seats etc but atleast on the 07 530 the best comfort seats were included in the sports package)

Xenons are standard now

I pesronally listen to my cars sound more after a few mods-intake, exhaust and I dont even like the radio/cd/mp3 anymore-it reminds me of the commercial if anyone has heard it how there is nothing better than listening to the sound of the bmw engine but if you have to a close second is HD radio (by the way what is there to listen to in a stock BMW-its so quiet!)

Another must have for me is the comfort access-not having to put the key in the slot is a huge thing-when I do put it in, it dangles down and hits my kneeds and jingles around-

So must have

sport package
comfort access

which is only about 5k worth of extras
Old 06-04-2007 | 08:18 AM
Contributors

This being my 3rd BMW, I know know pretty well what I can't live without:
Sport package
Premium package
Cold weather package or simply just the heated seats (for an extra $250 you might as well get the package to get the heated steering wheel which I thought was a gimmick, but I love)
L7 my '08 is the first car with it, and I could never go back
Comfort seats (if they weren't a part of the ZSP). They are amazing. It was such a bonus that they were part of the Sport Package
IPod adapter. All of your music at your fingertips, all on your screen.
Xenons (option on 528s). Love 'em. Love the adaptive feature.

Surprises: I didn't think I needed comfort access, but there are times now I think it would have been nice (hands full, carrying my daughter, etc). I'd give it more consideration next time. Also, I'd give more consideration to fold down rear seats. I don't always take my wife's SUV everywhere I go and the pass through would be nice from time to time.

Other than that, I'm happy as could be.

As for tips, I haven't really had the E60 long enough for tips on the car itself. Maybe you other guys can teach us first timers.....
Old 06-04-2007 | 09:40 AM
Banned

How is the premium package a "must have"? Just curious as I have it and for the 3k or whatever it costs seems like a pretty useless option-the lighting that comes on or that crappy-ass garage door programmer that only works if you are within like 3 feet of the garage? Just curious if I am missing something great about the premium ckg?
Old 06-04-2007 | 01:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='431751' date='Jun 4 2007, 12:40 PM
How is the premium package a "must have"? Just curious as I have it and for the 3k or whatever it costs seems like a pretty useless option-the lighting that comes on or that crappy-ass garage door programmer that only works if you are within like 3 feet of the garage? Just curious if I am missing something great about the premium ckg?
I like the integrated garage door opener, mine works from farther away than yours apparently, I love the power folding mirrors based on where I park at work, and I love when my mirrors dim for me at night. Factor in what leather costs as a separate option and lumbar support if you don't get the sport package, and $2000 is not such a bad price for usable "bells and whistles." I get your point, but I just happen to like the stuff that comes with it, and wouldn't want to not have them...

Quick Reply: E-60 OPTIONS