E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 530i Oriental Blue Metalic Beige InteriorPremium PackageCold Weather Package

Quick question regarding winter tires. Im about to get some winter tires most likely some blizzaks and not sure yet which kind of rims but I know I have a tire pressure monitor. How does that effect my car when I put the new wheels on it? Do I need new tire pressure sensors?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

Depends how old your car is.

Iirc, only the 07 MY cars have started to have the sensors with the valves/wheels.

All cars before that work by measuring the wheel rotation and you will be fine with any wheel on it.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Sam,

What you need is good, the best, winter tyres money can buy!

It needs only one time, to understand how important the matter - was!
Old 09-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530i Oriental Blue Metalic Beige InteriorPremium PackageCold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='337844' date='Sep 23 2006, 04:51 PM
Sam,

What you need is good, the best, winter tyres money can buy!
It needs only one time, to understand how important the matter - was!
Well, what are your reccomendations? Ive only heard good stuff about blizzaks. There was a Norwegian brand that I heard before that was suppose to be better than blizzaks but I cant find them.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by Sam the BMW man' post='337906' date='Sep 24 2006, 03:11 AM
Well, what are your reccomendations? Ive only heard good stuff about blizzaks. There was a Norwegian brand that I heard before that was suppose to be better than blizzaks but I cant find them.
You're probably thinking of Nokian WR winter tyres. It's not down to brand but specific tyre models. Every European manufacturer has budget and high performance winter tyres.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by Sam the BMW man' post='337762' date='Sep 23 2006, 11:15 AM
Quick question regarding winter tires. Im about to get some winter tires most likely some blizzaks and not sure yet which kind of rims but I know I have a tire pressure monitor. How does that effect my car when I put the new wheels on it? Do I need new tire pressure sensors?
The simplest solution is to get a set of winter wheels/tires from tirerack.com. Just get a set of Dunlop D3s with some kind of alloy wheels. That what I've got for my 2005 545. Your car is 2005 too, so you do NOT have TMP. You have FPM (Flat Tire Monitor). No sensors; uses wheels diameter. All you will have to do is reset FTM after you change tires. Soon after you start driving on the new wheels you will get FTM error. As to what tires to get you just need to decide what is more important snow/ice traction or dry road performance. I usually get high performance winter tires but I am in NJ across the Hudson River from NYC, you may want to get REAL snows (non-sport Q rated). BTW, they normally are cheaper.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Check on line, but then CALL the guys at Tire Rack...They KNOW which wheels fit on your model. Others only guess. Trust me, I've been down this road too many times. Then choose the tire you think best performs in deep snow, (not "all seasons.") Michelins and major brands will give you 3-4 seasons, with decent handling.

Blizzaks and Nokias tend to be too specialized, not sport handlers and usually last only one season (by design) and get very noisy. Better to stick with Michelin or other major brands. Just my view from Albany and Vermont...

Ray Hull
Old 09-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

There are two types of snow tires - regular and performance. The performance means that they are better in the dry than a regular snow tire, but worse in the snow. So you trade off better DRY handling for worse snow. In fact there are two Blizzaks - the WS-50 and the LM-22s. The WS-50s are INCREDIBLE in the ice/snow but feel like you are driving on marbles in the dry (squirmmy). The LM-22s are fair in the snow but feel close to a regular tire in the dry. Same thing with Dunlops - you have the Graspic DS-2 as their ice/snow tire, and the M3/D3 as their "performance" winter tire. Nokian has the same types of tires as well. I've had Pirelli 210s, Blizzak LM-22s, and Dunlop M3s - by far, the M3s were the best witht he Pirelli's being just terrible in the snow. I will mention that WAY back when on my 1995 325i I had a Pirelli Winter/Ice tire that was INCREDIBLE. They just don't make it anymore

I don't want to knock Tirerack, but their suggestions rarely make sense to me - I think they either push the more expensive tire or the one they have the most stock on. I do NOT trust them anymore. I do trust however the user reviews that are on their site (where you will see the LM22s do not compare to the Dunlop M3s - if they ever get the regular M3s back in stock). I was told by them the LM-22s were a superior tire and thus the extra cost. They were not - and this was not the only incident I've had with them giving bad advice. So don't just pick up the phone and call them - do your own research.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='338118' date='Sep 24 2006, 02:13 PM
There are two types of snow tires - regular and performance. The performance means that they are better in the dry than a regular snow tire, but worse in the snow. So you trade off better DRY handling for worse snow. In fact there are two Blizzaks - the WS-50 and the LM-22s. The WS-50s are INCREDIBLE in the ice/snow but feel like you are driving on marbles in the dry (squirmmy). The LM-22s are fair in the snow but feel close to a regular tire in the dry. Same thing with Dunlops - you have the Graspic DS-2 as their ice/snow tire, and the M3/D3 as their "performance" winter tire. Nokian has the same types of tires as well. I've had Pirelli 210s, Blizzak LM-22s, and Dunlop M3s - by far, the M3s were the best witht he Pirelli's being just terrible in the snow. I will mention that WAY back when on my 1995 325i I had a Pirelli Winter/Ice tire that was INCREDIBLE. They just don't make it anymore

I don't want to knock Tirerack, but their suggestions rarely make sense to me - I think they either push the more expensive tire or the one they have the most stock on. I do NOT trust them anymore. I do trust however the user reviews that are on their site (where you will see the LM22s do not compare to the Dunlop M3s - if they ever get the regular M3s back in stock). I was told by them the LM-22s were a superior tire and thus the extra cost. They were not - and this was not the only incident I've had with them giving bad advice. So don't just pick up the phone and call them - do your own research.
Why would you even talk to them (tirerack)? It's like asking a BMW sales person which model is better for. Sure they will push 760Li. Decide what you want and just order the tires from their site. Last year I did just that. I did get a call from a salesman later but he only wanted to make sure that I am aware of RFT M3s and knowingly did not choose them. Wheels/tires arrived 3 days later, mounted, balanced, and fit perfectly.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='338222' date='Sep 24 2006, 08:30 PM
Why would you even talk to them (tirerack)? It's like asking a BMW sales person which model is better for. Sure they will push 760Li. Decide what you want and just order the tires from their site. Last year I did just that. I did get a call from a salesman later but he only wanted to make sure that I am aware of RFT M3s and knowingly did not choose them. Wheels/tires arrived 3 days later, mounted, balanced, and fit perfectly.
Well they are supposed to be the experts - but I do agree with your analogy.