E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dynamic Reroute....and door locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Q1: Used to have E60 SE with BusNav (UK) and TMC enabled....whenever I had nav guidance active and there was a traffic incident i would see a msg on i-drive stating that it was re-calculating (or had available...cannot remember which) an alternative route.

Since picking up my March05 M-Sport fitted with NavPro, I have "dynamic route" and TMC active but can honestly say i've never seen any msgs stating that the route was being changed due to possible traffic problems on route, even when the little TMC triangle in the bottom left (for those with perspective view) change to a red border indicating a problem on your chosen route.

just wondered anyone else noticed dynamic routing working with pronav? maybe it is and i'm just not seeing msgs telling me route has been changed or by some fluke whenever i've been going anywhere with guidance "on" there has been no viable alternative for it to choose.

Q2: in the i-drive > Info > vehicle settings, there is a menu for door locks and one of the options to "tick" on or off is "lock if no door opened" or something like that....now I could RTFM but what is that option for? does it just lock the doors again if you open them but then do not open a door within a given timeout period?
Old 06-08-2005, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Jun 8 2005, 03:35 PM
Q1: Used to have E60 SE with BusNav (UK) and TMC enabled....whenever I had nav guidance active and there was a traffic incident i would see a msg on i-drive stating that it was re-calculating (or had available...cannot remember which) an alternative route.

Since picking up my March05 M-Sport fitted with NavPro, I have "dynamic route" and TMC active but can honestly say i've never seen any msgs stating that the route was being changed due to possible traffic problems on route, even when the little TMC triangle in the bottom left (for those with perspective view) change to a red border indicating a problem on your chosen route.

just wondered anyone else noticed dynamic routing working with pronav? maybe it is and i'm just not seeing msgs telling me route has been changed or by some fluke whenever i've been going anywhere with guidance "on" there has been no viable alternative for it to choose.

Q2: in the i-drive > Info > vehicle settings, there is a menu for door locks and one of the options to "tick" on or off is "lock if no door opened" or something like that....now I could RTFM but what is that option for? does it just lock the doors again if you open them but then do not open a door within a given timeout period?
[snapback]137541[/snapback]
Q1 It does reroute, but only for major delays. if you look at the description of the traffic message it gives you an estimated delay in minutes, which is always on the low side. It therefor hardly ever reroutes, only with road closures etc.

Q2. Correct, it is for when you have kids playing with your keys..
Old 06-08-2005, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Q1: sorry, can't help you on that one.

Q2: Yes, if the car is unlocked from the outside and a door isn't opened in a specific time, the car will re-lock itself. I'm not sure if anyone is using that feature but all I can say is that one time I found my car locked with the keys in it so I unchecked that box and never had a problem again. Maybe it was a fluke or maybe the feature had a bug that's been fixed? I don't quite think I need the car to automatically lock itself so I don't feel I'm missing anything but if anyone has experience with this feature, I'd love to hear it.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

thx for the replies guys.

i kind of figured the locking feature was a bit of a double edged sword. on the one hand you've got the security aspect knowing that if you leave the car open it will at least lock on its own but on the flip side if you forget your keys are in it and walkaway (assuming noone nicks it in the meantime) at least you'll still be able to get back in.

currently i have the feature disabled.....just wanted to canvas opinions on it.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:00 AM
IMU
Contributors

The "Dynamic route" function will automatically alter the route if there is a traffic problem on your chosen route without first advising you, in my experience. That is why I am not using it as I am used to the system in the E46 which flashes pop-up screens advising you of the reason for a delay and asks you whether you would like to re-route or not. For me this is much more practical as the "delay" indication actually means how long it has been since the RDS transmitter transmitted the last relevant traffic broadcast. In my experience if the "delay" time is indicated as even as low as 5 mins old it can still sometimes mean that the actual hold up has cleared and the info is out-of-date (especially if it is 20 or so miles ahead of you on your chosen route or a known black spot that you want to take your chances with). Computers are only as good as their human inputters, and I find that the RDS broadcasts of TMC information can sometimes be slightly misleading

[snapback]137541[/snapback]
As has already been stated, check the box and if you accidently press the open button on your remote fob and don't touch any doors it will automatically re-lock. Will not allow you to lock your keys if left in the ignition barrel, as has to be activated from outside.

Useful for some no doubt.

Cheers.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Jun 8 2005, 10:53 AM
thx for the replies guys.

i kind of figured the locking feature was a bit of a double edged sword. on the one hand you've got the security aspect knowing that if you leave the car open it will at least lock on its own but on the flip side if you forget your keys are in it and walkaway (assuming noone nicks it in the meantime) at least you'll still be able to get back in.

currently i have the feature disabled.....just wanted to canvas opinions on it.
[snapback]137554[/snapback]
That's not exactly how it's supposed to work. It will only re-lock if the car was unlocked from the outside with the remote and a door was never opened. The logic behind that would be that it should never lock the keys in the car since if a door wasn't opened, how could the key have gotten in there in the first place?

The car won't just lock itself because you left it open, you have to unlock it first...
Old 06-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I thought the dynamic route option on either bus or pro nav simply routed you via A roads with bends for fun, fun, and more fun.

Am I right?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:07 AM
abs
Members

i too have pro nav and like the 1st post i get no information as to traffic delay. neither do i get any messages or signs on the map to show that there is traffic ahead.

is this what should happen or is my nav not working
Old 06-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Members

It worked for me when the A303 was closed some weeks back (even told me it was a caravan that crashed.

Took me for a great detour! I like it!!!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Members

Me too! I like it. As with most of us, I ignored it the first time - to my peril
I think it works really well

Quick Reply: Dynamic Reroute....and door locks