E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

dynamic drive error returns 3 times

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So a few weeks ago I had a random dynamic drive malfunction error. Went away with restart of car. Never saw it again until today when it came back again on first start of the day. When I started the car later in the day it came on again. Started it a 3rd hours later and was gone and was gone the rest of the night. Is this a sign something is wrong but not wrong enough to be broken just yet but the computer is picking up something its doing not quite right.

Not a biggie. Not a necessity to drive or anything. Nor can I feel the difference unless I am at higher speeds cornering which doesnt happen all that much
Old 11-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I had a similar issue on my old car -- it only happened when I first drove off in the morning, usually in cooler weather. After I drove a few miles, I could turn the car off and back on again and I wouldn't see it for another day (next morning). If I tried to restart the car too soon, it would come right back -- it had to be a few miles before it would stay away.

It turned out to be a low fluid level -- I think it was the power steering fluid. The fluid expands when it's hot so since the level was marginal, it would trigger the malfunction when driving around a corner, etc. (I'm guessing that the fluid would slosh around in the resevoir and cause the level sensor to trip on and back off again.) Once the fluid was hot, the level was enough to not let the sloshing trigger the warning. Obviously, once the warning was triggered, it wouldn't go away until the car was restarted.

Just check your steering fluid level and top it off if it looks low. You might find that your problem will be gone. If it goes away and comes back, you might have a leak of some kind (but I'm assuming you would notice if there were any strange puddles under the car...)

Good luck!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='499877' date='Nov 28 2007, 12:01 AM
I had a similar issue on my old car -- it only happened when I first drove off in the morning, usually in cooler weather. After I drove a few miles, I could turn the car off and back on again and I wouldn't see it for another day (next morning). If I tried to restart the car too soon, it would come right back -- it had to be a few miles before it would stay away.

It turned out to be a low fluid level -- I think it was the power steering fluid. The fluid expands when it's hot so since the level was marginal, it would trigger the malfunction when driving around a corner, etc. (I'm guessing that the fluid would slosh around in the resevoir and cause the level sensor to trip on and back off again.) Once the fluid was hot, the level was enough to not let the sloshing trigger the warning. Obviously, once the warning was triggered, it wouldn't go away until the car was restarted.

Just check your steering fluid level and top it off if it looks low. You might find that your problem will be gone. If it goes away and comes back, you might have a leak of some kind (but I'm assuming you would notice if there were any strange puddles under the car...)

Good luck!
Wow Rudy that sounds verbatim what is happening. I was going to mention the cold mornings but did not. Basically exactly. Happens first thing after recently turning very cold outside. If I try shut off/restart too quickly it wont fix but if I drive a bit and then do it-it clears.

How exactly do I check my steering fluid? Thanks-much appreciated! Dont notice any leaks either and I park in a spot I would definetly see it in.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='499881' date='Nov 28 2007, 12:08 AM
Wow Rudy that sounds verbatim what is happening. I was going to mention the cold mornings but did not. Basically exactly. Happens first thing after recently turning very cold outside. If I try shut off/restart too quickly it wont fix but if I drive a bit and then do it-it clears.

How exactly do I check my steering fluid? Thanks-much appreciated! Dont notice any leaks either and I park in a spot I would definetly see it in.
Looky here:
RA_Steering_fluid_reservoir____check_oil_level.pdf
Old 11-28-2007, 02:14 AM
Banned

your the man-thanks!