E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dunlop Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 04:56 PM
DDW
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 530i-Silver Grey / Grey, Premium, Sport, PDC

CHAPTER I
8,800 miles & my tires have been vibrating through the steering wheel & have a oscillating roaring that has gotten much worse in the cold. (DunlopRFs) Looking at the inside wear pattern is just as described in the SIB - cupped at an angle. My SA agreed that they were the culprit - but they were not a ?BMW Tire Center? So after calling Dunlop and setting up a case# & giving me the findings/specs that the mechanic found (tread depths) they now were out of the loop, and it was be up to me to go get the tires warranted at a Dunlop dealer. <_<

CHAPTER II
It was a dark rainy night . . . . . . . just kidding
Drove directly to my local Discount Tire store with papers in hand, the manager looked and felt each tire and also concurred severe cupping and asked me if I had rotated the tires . . . NOOoooo I wasn?t aware that I could ?? He pointed out the same size wheels/tires should be rotated front to back every 7k mi. would help. I had assumed they were different wheels fr/rr. By the time he called Dunlop (eastern time) had already closed so I?ll wait till tomorrow to find out what they will do.

Talking tires with him does anyone know what the other ?BMW Approved Tires? are,
(as stated in the SI for possible substitution? He thought we would have to go back
with the DunlopRFs but would try to help keep my options open.

Anyone else rotating front to back ?? (525,530s only) nothing about rotating in Service or Owners manual.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by DDW' post='211382' date='Dec 14 2005, 05:56 PM
CHAPTER I
8,800 miles & my tires have been vibrating through the steering wheel & have a oscillating roaring that has gotten much worse in the cold. (DunlopRFs) Looking at the inside wear pattern is just as described in the SIB - cupped at an angle. My SA agreed that they were the culprit - but they were not a “BMW Tire Center” So after calling Dunlop and setting up a case# & giving me the findings/specs that the mechanic found (tread depths) they now were out of the loop, and it was be up to me to go get the tires warranted at a Dunlop dealer. <_<

CHAPTER II
Drove directly to my local Discount Tire store with papers in hand, the manager looked and felt each tire and also concurred severe cupping and asked me if I had rotated the tires . . . NOOoooo I wasn’t aware that I could ?? He pointed out the same size wheels/tires should be rotated front to back every 7k mi. would help. I had assumed they were different wheels fr/rr. By the time he called Dunlop (eastern time) had already closed so I’ll wait till tomorrow to find out what they will do.

Talking tires with him does anyone know what the other “BMW Approved Tires” are,
(as stated in the SI for possible substitution? He thought we would have to go back

Anyone else rotating front to back ?? (525,530s only) nothing about rotating in Service or Owners manual.
Rotating is the best way to increase your overall tire wear.

HOWEVER, your BMW dealer is giving you the run-around. They should order you new tires and taken care of the problem. Running around to a Dunlop dealer is a bunch of BS.

Under the Dunlop RF tire problem, your dealer should order you in new tires and install them, like many of us have! Period! I reported a noise problem to my SA at just under 8k miles. He took the tread depth, checked with BMWNA and ordered me new tires. Originally they where saying problems under 7k-9k miles. Now I have heard up to 20k miles.

I would go back to your dealer and have your SA call the BMW field service engineer and find out what the F__k is up! Then, when BMWNA calls up to find out how your service was, give them the whole scoop.

On a problem that is so well known and documented, it is really rediculous to go through all of this.

Good Luck.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jsal' post='211392
CHAPTER I
8,800 miles & my tires have been vibrating through the steering wheel & have a oscillating roaring that has gotten much worse in the cold. (DunlopRFs) Looking at the inside wear pattern is just as described in the SIB - cupped at an angle. My SA agreed that they were the culprit - but they were not a ?BMW Tire Center? So after calling Dunlop and setting up a case# & giving me the findings/specs that the mechanic found (tread depths) they now were out of the loop, and it was be up to me to go get the tires warranted at a Dunlop dealer. <_<

CHAPTER II
Drove directly to my local Discount Tire store with papers in hand, the manager looked and felt each tire and also concurred severe cupping and asked me if I had rotated the tires . . . NOOoooo I wasn?t aware that I could ?? He pointed out the same size wheels/tires should be rotated front to back every 7k mi. would help. I had assumed they were different wheels fr/rr. By the time he called Dunlop (eastern time) had already closed so I?ll wait till tomorrow to find out what they will do.

I would have thought, yes, rotate at some interval with the same size wheels/tires front and back. But, regardless, the extra 1.8k miles is not what caused the problem. I think you will get them replaced by Dunlop unless BMW actually is at fault--see below. If BMW is not at fault, then the Company should help you get them replaced because, as mentioned, the extra 1.8k is not the probelm.

Talking tires with him does anyone know what the other ?BMW Approved Tires? are,

I think some got Goodyear RTF's. And, current, BMW is putting Bridgestone RTF's on some models.

I think one is supposed to look at the tire manufacturer's warranty info to see what must be done to keep the tires under warranty since BMW does not warranty tires. But, I don't remember receiving any tire warranty info. It seems like BMW sould be responsible for passing such info on or covering the roatation issue in the manual.
Rotating is the best way to increase your overall tire wear.

HOWEVER, your BMW dealer is giving you the run-around. They should order you new tires and taken care of the problem. Running around to a Dunlop dealer is a bunch of BS.

Under the Dunlop RF tire problem, your dealer should order you in new tires and install them, like many of us have! Period! I reported a noise problem to my SA at just under 8k miles. He took the tread depth, checked with BMWNA and ordered me new tires. Originally they where saying problems under 7k-9k miles. Now I have heard up to 20k miles.

I would go back to your dealer and have your SA call the BMW field service engineer and find out what the F__k is up! Then, when BMWNA calls up to find out how your service was, give them the whole scoop.

On a problem that is so well known and documented, it is really rediculous to go through all of this.

Good Luck.
[/quote]My understanding is that there are "old" and "new" model (or at least "old" and "new" date) Dunlop RFT's. Some are having no success getting the "new" model RTF's replaced. In either case, BMW does not warranty tires--unless it is BMW's fault that the tires in question are wearing improperly. Technically, BMW's only commitment is to help owners deal with tire manufacturers who refuse to replace tires when appropriate if the tires are defective. I think that BMW was going out of its way when it more or less arranged to automatically replace the "old" model (or date) Dunlops with alternative tires--usually more Dunlops. Although, I have no confirmation, my read/speculation is that BMW and Dunlop are having a dispute about whether the "new" tires are faulty or whether the BMW factory setup is the cause of the problem. Otherwise, it seems to me that individuals would not end up having trouble getting their "new" Dunlops replaced by either Dunlop or BMW. Some apparently in the know have indicated here that the BMW setup at least contributes to improper tire wear--something I cannot confirm either.

P.S. To the Enlish majors, yes, warranty is not a verb. But, neither is google nor partner.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

On the subject of rotating tires, sure you should always rotate front to rear if the sizes are all the same. On my car, the sizes are not the same. Are you sure your sizes are the same DDW?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:03 AM
DDW
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='211457' date='Dec 14 2005, 11:45 PM
On the subject of rotating tires, sure you should always rotate front to rear if the sizes are all the same. On my car, the sizes are not the same. Are you sure your sizes are the same DDW?
Yes there the same on 525,530s not 545,550s I was surprised also, had taken for granted they were different.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:25 AM
DDW
Contributors

Originally Posted by DDW' post='211512
Yes there the same on 525,530s not 545,550s I was surprised also, had taken for granted they were different.
[/quote]

So has anyone actually rotated tires front to back ?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Unless things have changed, BMW specifically states that you should NOT rotate your tires. Should be in the manual.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Every other car that I have purchased came with a waaraty card from the tire manufacturer - but the BMW did not.

Alos, not all 525's and 530's have the same size tires in the front and rear. If I rememebr correctly if you get the sports package then you get wider rear tires.

I have a 530xi without sport and all four tires are the same size, so I plan to rotate the tires to try to get maximum life, but it will depend upon how they wear.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='211537' date='Dec 15 2005, 08:11 AM
Alos, not all 525's and 530's have the same size tires in the front and rear. If I rememebr correctly if you get the sports package then you get wider rear tires.

I have a 530xi without sport and all four tires are the same size, so I plan to rotate the tires to try to get maximum life, but it will depend upon how they wear.
That's what I was thinking -- sports package = wider rear tires = no ability to rotate. I do think, however, that the Xi sports package still has all four tire the same size...
Old 12-15-2005, 05:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

actually I think BMW makes it more complicated than that

525xi sport comes with 17x8 all around, but for a few hundred dollars can uprade to 18's that are different front and rear

530xi sport comes with 18's that are wider in the rear

do not know about non xi's

I will try to confirm this on the bmwusa site, but the new interface is harder to use

Quick Reply: Dunlop Tires