E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dunlop Run Flats on New 550i

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my new 550I (I'll post pictures over the weekend) and I see they have Dunlop Sport SP 01 tires. I thought I read that BMW was not putting these tires on the cars because of problems and they were using Bridgestones. I also believe I saw some threads that said that the Dunlops were replaced under warranty. I'll be calling my dealer but wanted to get some input from anyone with the Dunlop run flats.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='365097' date='Dec 8 2006, 05:49 PM
I just picked up my new 550I (I'll post pictures over the weekend) and I see they have Dunlop Sport SP 01 tires. I thought I read that BMW was not putting these tires on the cars because of problems and they were using Bridgestones. I also believe I saw some threads that said that the Dunlops were replaced under warranty. I'll be calling my dealer but wanted to get some input from anyone with the Dunlop run flats.

I got the Brick Stones with my 07 550
Old 12-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Many people won't agree with me but I'd say you're lucky to get the Dunlops. If they begin to make a roaring noise around 7000 miles (or more) just complain and you'll get new tires for free.

I'm getting my 3rd replacement set soon (total of 4 sets on a car with 26,000 miles that uses snow tires four or five months of the year) so over the course of my 3-year lease, I didn't have to buy any summer tires and only one set of snow tires (which I can likely continue to use on my next E60...)

Free tires every 8000 miles -- how can you beat that?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530, Manual tranny, silver gray metallic exterior, gray interior, poplar trim 1999 Ford Expedition 4.6L 1968 Ford Mustang 289 Auto

Also note.....

Today, at 30 degrees.....my TPM was alarming....I'd just had my CD changer installed by my dealer and my tire pressure was "checked"....
yup....my pressure was below 30 psi....

I've got a 07 530 with the Dunlops....my sales advisor told me to check the pressure often...I WAS a once-a-monther with my regular tires in my other cars...
The tires seem to do best at 32 psi front and 36 psi rear...pressures below that...the road noise is excessive....

My first Roundel included an article about replacement tires..... The Goodyears with the carbon fiber sidewalls look tasty
Old 12-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Members

The Dunlop runflats are now covered by a full replacement warranty up to 20'000 miles. Ask your service department manager about this. I got only 7800 miles on mine. And they were thrumming loudly from about 6300, 6400 miles. The tires that were installed-to replace my originals-again the same Dunlops-carry a manufactured on date that is about 3-5 weeks of the date of manufacture of my original set. So one would conclude that Dunlop has a boatload of these tires to burn through.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='365120' date='Dec 8 2006, 05:56 PM
Many people won't agree with me but I'd say you're lucky to get the Dunlops. If they begin to make a roaring noise around 7000 miles (or more) just complain and you'll get new tires for free.

I'm getting my 3rd replacement set soon (total of 4 sets on a car with 26,000 miles that uses snow tires four or five months of the year) so over the course of my 3-year lease, I didn't have to buy any summer tires and only one set of snow tires (which I can likely continue to use on my next E60...)

Interesting thought. However, I think I'd rather have tires that last about 20K - 22K miles (like the Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires I had on my LS) and not have to go through the hassle of bringing the car in that often to have the tires changed. Before the car arrived, I had told them I wanted the Bridgestones and not the Dunlops because of reading about the problems and reviews I read on Tire Rack's web site. I was so excited about getting in the car and driving it that I forgot to look until I got back to work.

I'm supposed to talk to the Service Manager on Monday and my guess is that he's going to tell me they won't replace the tires until the get noisy and/or have uneven wear.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='365097' date='Dec 8 2006, 02:49 PM

I put my RFT's back on for trips and drove them for a few k miles before putting on my current setup. I like the RFT's. And, hey, what the heck if they wear incorrectly and have to be replaced free every now and then?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='365210' date='Dec 8 2006, 09:44 PM
Interesting thought. However, I think I'd rather have tires that last about 20K - 22K miles (like the Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires I had on my LS) and not have to go through the hassle of bringing the car in that often to have the tires changed.
For me, the tire replacements have never caused me any additional trips to the dealer -- they were always done in conjunction with an annual trip for other things (like my state inspection, etc.)
Old 12-09-2006, 07:34 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='365120' date='Dec 8 2006, 04:56 PM

At 21,000 my new free Dunlops have less than 2000 miles. I like them and will run them until Dunlop quits replacing, or may continue with Dunlops if I have reasonable luck with this set. I really like the feel, performance, and rim-rash protection.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='365097' date='Dec 8 2006, 04:49 PM

My 2007 550 (build 06/06) aslo came with Dunlops. Aside for being softer and slippery they have been OK for 6,200 miles, no noise or wear issues. Anyway if you can get them replaced by Bridgestones, do it. The car desrves max performance tires. Dunlops being high-performance are 2 steps below Bridges.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Run Flats on New 550i