E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dunlop run flats - directional or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 545I SMG with Dunlop run flats . They have a mark which appears to be a directional marker but I
m not sure. Model is 245/40/18 oin the front and 275/35/18 rear. I think the factory mounted these tires without paying attn to the directional arrows. I emailed Dunlop but never got a reply
Old 10-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

Hi

I dont hv the 18" wheels but if you check the side wall, directional tires usually have an arrow pointing to the forward direction.

Hope this helps

Bunbun
Old 10-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

They are directional tires.. The arrow should point the direction the tire will go when you drive forward..
Old 10-16-2004, 09:46 AM
Members

So they are mounted wrong by the factory. I have 5K miles on them and because of the different sizes the only way to correct the error is to replace all 4 .

I'm going to point this out to the dealer and ask for replacement.

Originally Posted by Bunbun' date='Oct 16 2004, 11:32 AM
Hi

I dont hv the 18" wheels but if you check the side wall, directional tires usually have an arrow pointing to the forward direction.

Hope this helps

Bunbun
[snapback]45536[/snapback]
Old 10-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I would do that.. They messed up bigtime.. Also in terms of safety I wouldn't be to happy about this..
Old 10-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Our car was delivered with one rear tyre incorrectly mounted. These tyres are AFAIK directional to the extent that they do not perform as specified and are not meant to exceed 80km/h if incorrectly mounted.

You can easily see if the tyres are correctly mounted by checking the pattern on the tyres. The tyres have an asymmetrical pattern, but overall (one wheel compared to the other, e.g. rear right vs. rear left) there is supposed to be symmetry when seen from either front or rear side of the car. In addition the tyres are marked "OUTSIDE" and "INSIDE". Given these markings and the fact that you have differently sized tyres rear/front should ensure that it's easy to detect any incorrectly mounted tyre.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by bobi' date='Oct 16 2004, 12:27 PM
I have a 2004 545I SMG with Dunlop run flats . They have a mark which appears to be a directional marker but I
m not sure. Model is 245/40/18 oin the front and 275/35/18 rear. I think the factory mounted these tires without paying attn to the directional arrows. I emailed Dunlop but never got a reply
[snapback]45532[/snapback]

Same thing happened to me. The reason explained to me of the excessive pre delivery km's on my car was because of wheel shimmering and that the wheels were mounted on incorrectly at the factory! They changed the tyres around on the
rims and now no problem. After 300km, still smooth on the steering wheel!!
I can confirm the Dunlops are on the hard side, noise isn't too bad ( yet ) though.

Andy
Old 10-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 16 2004, 08:51 PM
[quote name='bobi' date='Oct 16 2004, 12:27 PM']I have a 2004 545I SMG with Dunlop run flats . They have a mark which appears to be a directional marker but I
[snapback]45532[/snapback]

Same thing happened to me. The reason explained to me of the excessive pre delivery km's on my car was because of wheel shimmering and that the wheels were mounted on incorrectly at the factory! They changed the tyres around on the
rims and now no problem. After 300km, still smooth on the steering wheel!!
I can confirm the Dunlops are on the hard side, noise isn't too bad ( yet ) though.

Andy
[snapback]45564[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry, forgot to log in!
Old 10-16-2004, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these aren't really "directional" in the true sense. Directional tires are the same tire for left and rigth sides of the car, but only meant to roll in one direction.

These Dunlops are inside/outside directionals. Meaning that the tread is different from the inside of the tire to the outside, but you could take one from the left side of the car and put it on the right side without causing problems. The "outside" markings will still be on the outside.

With a directional tire, you can't switch sides of the car without making the tire be turned around backwards - it would have to be remounted.

As long as these tires have the word "outside" showing, that's all that matters. The little "D" logo with the arrow is just that, a logo, and is on all Dunlops, regardless of whether they're directional.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:55 PM
JDN
Contributors

What some of you think are arrows, are logos. See the word "OUTSIDE" stenciled on the side wall. Also, note the straight grooves on the inside of the wheel are the handling grooves. The outside dispels water.
Attached Thumbnails Dunlop run flats - directional or not-outside.jpg   Dunlop run flats - directional or not-tread.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dunlop run flats - directional or not