E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dual Straight Pipes on E60 Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013 | 12:12 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i
Default Dual Straight Pipes on E60 Muffler Delete

Hello guys:

I would like to share my experiences and have you all also give me any thoughts about this long and consuming process I have got myself into...

This is my first thread, so sorry if I do something wrong here, but there is always a first time for everything.

After been a BMW Freak for years, I have come to an E60, 2008 528i. My 4th Bimmer. I am doing lots of different mods to the car, only because I want to achieve maybe something near impossible, due to the natural aspirated motor that my e60 has, which is not bad but is not what I had in mind when I purchased my vehicle...

So, I decide to hook up with Active Autowerke Shop down south in Florida to begin this infamous (build), sometimes relations breaking, divorce starter process in you know what I mean.. PROCESS...

Well, going back to the actual thread>>

First Mod done to the car, was going straight pipes muffler delete. At first I like the way it came out, when you get the Mod BUG in you, anything that sounds, looks or seems different get you exited... Well after a day or so, I was about to have a brain disease with the DRONE inside my car.. OMG!!! what I have done, not to mention that I felt a little dumb, because LOUD does not mean FAST, jajaja...

Maybe there is someone out there that had run to the same problem and found the solution, I was to the point of installing back the OEM 53 LBS Muffler.
Think again, already had dual pipes out, cut out the bumper...Nah not an option to put the OEM back. SOooooo, I started digging and Finally fix the problem without hurting the HP that will actually after the ECU Tune will achieve.

The problem solutions was to install 2 Dynomax 24238 - Dynomax Race Bullet Mufflers or Resonators. The muffler shop I did the job recommend this for me, and explain me that I will not loose any horses coming out, due to the design of the resonator, which is 2" straight inside, the only thing that actually this will do, is release the back pressure and not 100% but about 92% eliminate the drone.

Drone is GONE, and the sound is perfect IMO, I did not want to have a monster sound going out of a 528i I6. I am happy with the outcome of the dual mufflers installed.

My experience so far, is that if you going to perform this MOD, 1st get as much info that you can, I opted for straight pipes without deleting, nothing else just the OEM box muffler, because that is what after few more MODs and the ECU Tune done, will be able to achieve more power out of the motor, as by Autowerker had explain to me. So far, I did the 1st dyno run and it was right about what specs says on the e60 528i,

1st Run STOCK: DONE at garageyourself
233 PS / 227 bhp / 172 kW @ 6500 rpm
271 Nm / 199 ft.lb / 27.6 kgm @ 2750 rpm

Few horses and Torque less, than what they advertise, but that depends on so many conditions so, I am ok with that. To start with anyways.

This project includes:
3 Stage Manifold from 2006 e90 "ORDER from Turner Motor"
Dual Straight pipe "DONE"
Cold Air Intake Volant PowerCORE system "ORDER from Germany"

I will be doing 2 different ECU mappings.
1 for regular gas and 2nd for E95 Racing Fuel, I will be able to get a little more power out of the N52 this way, and due that I have the MyGenius already, I will change it back at any time.
So, for now which me luck and I will keep on posting the results, My next dyno will be with the new cold intake, straight pipes and both ecu remaps, but not including the 3 stage manifold, I have to follow the experience that Autowerker here in South Florida have, and before the Manifold, they want to make sure and see the different due that nobody has attempt this before on an N52 e60 down here at the shop.
Some pics are attached on the piping done. Without the Resonators!!!

Thanks to you all, and cheers!!!
Attached Thumbnails Dual Straight Pipes on E60 Muffler Delete-4.jpg   Dual Straight Pipes on E60 Muffler Delete-3.jpg   Dual Straight Pipes on E60 Muffler Delete-1.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013 | 02:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 528i 6spd Sport Packa
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N52

audio clip Please?
Old 11-03-2013 | 08:28 PM
Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006

Did you delete the oem center muffler? Are you planning to install the 2 dynomax bullet resonators next to the tips or next to the center muffler?

Last edited by elie7; 11-03-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2013 | 07:47 AM
New Members

Soon, I post the audio clip, already have the resonators installed.

I did not delete the center, the only one that was deleted was the back huge box. The shop did not recommended to me the deletion of any others, because the difference on the sound was going to be inside the cab and not outside.

So far, I am satisfied with the way it sounds and performed too. Cheers.
Old 11-04-2013 | 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006

What size of pipe the shop used? 2 1/2 or 3 inch. Did you loose any hp or torque. Thanks
Old 11-04-2013 | 10:21 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by elie7
What size of pipe the shop used? 2 1/2 or 3 inch. Did you loose any hp or torque. Thanks
They used 3" pipes and as far as I can notice, did not loose any power or torque, on the contrary feel more torque than before. I haven't run any dyno yet, because I going to do the Tune.
Remember more torque and power will be achieve when all Mods are together and the Tune is put in place to the specifics.

I was kind of concern about loosing power, but not at all, so far I feel I gain more torque, but is not by Dyno yet. I will post the results and will see.
Old 11-04-2013 | 12:47 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Chewbacka
audio clip Please?
audio
Old 11-05-2013 | 02:09 PM
New Members

My Ride: 04 545i6 Mystic Metallic Blue

looks decent but sounds terrible sorry.
Old 11-06-2013 | 06:37 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by 528canyonrot
looks decent but sounds terrible sorry.
I respect you opinion, to me sounds better than stock, but the sound is not what I am looking for, is the power than can be unleash with the mod. Maybe that is why everybody looks when I am passing by, because it sounds so bad...
Old 01-17-2014 | 06:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63
Exclamation

Originally Posted by isa MIA
I respect you opinion, to me sounds better than stock, but the sound is not what I am looking for, is the power than can be unleash with the mod. Maybe that is why everybody looks when I am passing by, because it sounds so bad...
I DID A SIMILAR SET UP ON MY OLD E60, HOWEVER IT DIDN'T SOUND LIKE THIS. IT WAS A NICE DEEP SOUND. I LOVED IT. HERE'S THE LINK TO MY OLD SET UP, IF YOU READ THE DESCRIPTION IT SAYS THE MAGNAFLOW PARTS I USED. INSTALL (2) 10425 MAGNAFLOW MUFFLERS AND THAT SHOULD ELIMINATE THE ANNOYING DRONE.