E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DTS and Yellow Brake light came on yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i w/M-Tech, Sport and Cold Weather Pkg
Default DTS and Yellow Brake light came on yesterday

I-drive system says Drive Control System Inoperative and Start Off Assistance Inactive. Started yesterday for no reason after starting car and being at work all afternoon. This morning drove car for about 15 minutes then backed out of a driveway and it finally came back on. I haven't had a chance to have it checked for codes yet and I did do a search on several sites that indicated possible wheel speed sensor or maybe even battery issues. The battery I assume is original (although I should check) and I only assume that as the car car seemed slightly sluggish at times turning over and I had made a mental note to keep an eye on that.

Would these lights even throw a code or is that only for check engine lights?

Any thoughts? Thank you!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:25 AM
New Members

Here is a picture of the dash showing the lights that are on
Attached Thumbnails DTS and Yellow Brake light came on yesterday-bmw-dash.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Oh man, you're really in bad shape. Your car is upside down!

All kidding aside, could be a lot of things. I see your 550i is an 08. If it is the original battery, it may be on it's way out. As you mentioned, it could also be the brake sensor or possibly even the brake fluid (check to see if it is low). Try to pull the codes, if any. That will point you in the right direction.

Good Luck!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:10 AM
New Members

No codes in the system, just checked but the DTS and "yellow" brake light come on everytime i drive now. Guess it's time for a trip to the shop....
Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 09 550i 6sp M-Tech. 18mm spacers rear, 8mm front. Dinan intake and Stage 2 tune. Tinted tails, M5 OEM lip spoiler. 08 Z4 3.0si Black on Black with Beige top. Removable hardtop. (Hers) 06 Volvo S60R Heavily Modded!! Gone and missed.

I would definitely look at the battery. I'm having similar issues but with Servotronic failure after many sluggish starts and trying to charge battery all night. Battery sight glass is black and won't change to green.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I had this issue. In my case it was the SZL or steering angle sensor. Did you notice that it comes on when the steering wheel is turned? Also it goes away when you restart the car. I heard that you can take the steering wheel off and just spray some compressed air around it to clear it of dust and you're all good. Otherwise it's a $500 part plus labor. If you get it replaced, make sure the installer remembers to code your steering wheel adjustment functions back in. When I had mine replaced, they forgot that and I had to bring the car back in for re-coding. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 AM
New Members

Ok, so last night pulled apart the drivers side cabin filter assembly and got down to the master cylinder. There's a great DIY on this forum that explains how to do this by the way! The brake fluid was low so I topped it off, probably took 3 oz. of brake fluid. Put it all back together and started the car and the fu*^&%g lights are right back on as soon as I back out of my garage. Dang, thought I may have found the problem but alas I did not!

I have an appt at Manfred's in Cary, that is our local Indy around here, on Tuesday but I was really hoping to save the $94.00 diagnostic fee by trying to figure this out myself.

I can start the car and no lights, however as soon as I move the vehicle, sometimes in reverse, sometimes they don't come on until I have gone from reverse to drive and driven 20 feet or so, but they always come on. That would lead me to lean towards maybe a wheel speed sensor or something that requires the car to move before triggering a fault. Again, no codes stored in the regular system and I do not have access to the advanced BMW system code reader that will tell me whats going on
Old 05-23-2013, 12:38 PM
New Members

Alright I just verified that when starting the car the lights will alwys remain off, however as soon as eith ther wheel are turned side to side or the car begins to roll the lights will come on. Anyone got anything else I can check or look at as far as ideas?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

If the car is not moving and it turns on, it's not a wheel speed sensor. Since it turns on with the steering wheel turn, I believe it's the SZL.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:58 PM
New Members

@balbs-any idea how to remove the steering wheel? I have the sport steering wheel but am afraid to damage anything remotely associated with the airbags.

Quick Reply: DTS and Yellow Brake light came on yesterday