E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DTC/DSC

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

OK, I don't have my car yet - still in production - but it is a 530xi - and I was reading the manual online and got confused. What setting do you use for daily driving and what do you use for snow? The manual says to turn off the DTC but leave on the DSC (I think I have the initials correct) - in snow and hills but iotherwise leave them both on. I got the car for AWD and winter - so I want to know. BTW, I know something similar to this was posted before, but I could not find it.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by dgjk' date='Oct 26 2005, 06:35 PM
OK, I don't have my car yet - still in production - but it is a 530xi - and I was reading the manual online and got confused.? What setting do you use for daily driving and what do you use for snow?? The manual says to turn off the DTC but leave on the DSC (I think I have the initials correct) - in snow and hills but iotherwise leave them both on.? I got the car for AWD and winter - so I want to know.? BTW, I know something similar to this was posted before, but I could not find it.
Thanks in advance.
[snapback]189140[/snapback]
The manual means for you to turn DSC (dynamic stability control) off for rain/snow. Doing so leaves DTC (dynamic traction control) on. Otherwise leave both on for both stability and traction control--the safest.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

OK - but if there is more stability with both of them on why would you turn one off when the weather gets bad? I guess that is my real question.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:08 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Here's the issue:

You disable DSC (leaving DTC enabled) in conditions such as DEEP snow, e.g., on unplowed roads or snowy hills where the conventional DSC programming may leave you literally stuck and unable to move, because of an inability to spin the tires. Ordinarily, you don't want tirespin, obviously. But sometimes in unplowed snow or on a snowy hill, you may need to allow a little spin to get going again (or to even move). You don't need to disable anything for just rain or plowed snow.

So, aside from people who like to turn all of the computerized things off, as a "normal" driver, you would ALWAYS leave DSC on and in its default state, even in rain or plowed snow. The only time you disable it and put it in DTC mode is as I stated above.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Guys......I don't touch anything. I leave it in the standard mode I received the car in. You know that old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 10-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Mr 5er' date='Oct 26 2005, 07:17 PM
Guys......I don't touch anything. I leave it in the standard mode I received the car in. You know that old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."?
[snapback]189172[/snapback]
Well, OK, have you done any radio presets? Using DSC, DTC, or neither is easier.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Members

I believe even with DTC turned on that DSC kicks in at higher speeds. DTC just allows some wheel spin at lower speeds. ie the babysitter doesn't kill the throttle at the first sign of wheel spin.

If you turn off DTC and DSC you get the warning circle arrow and then it is all in the drivers hands.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 26 2005, 07:08 PM
Here's the issue:

You disable DSC (leaving DTC enabled) in conditions such as DEEP snow, e.g., on unplowed roads or snowy hills where the conventional DSC programming may leave you literally stuck and unable to move, because of an inability to spin the tires. Ordinarily, you don't want tirespin, obviously. But sometimes in unplowed snow or on a snowy hill, you may need to allow a little spin to get going again (or to even move). You don't need to disable anything for just rain or plowed snow.

So, aside from people who like to turn all of the computerized things off, as a "normal" driver, you? would ALWAYS leave DSC on and in its default state, even in rain or plowed snow. The only time you disable it and put it in DTC mode is as I stated above.
[snapback]189164[/snapback]
Right, not rain; the acronyms roiled my brain ~{;^). And, your unplowed snow qualification is right too.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Contributors

OK, let me see if I got it now. Leave them both on unless I get stuck, then turn DSC off. And since I have a steep driveway I shold turn it off prior to trying to go up when the weather is bad. This will allow a little wheelspin. Thanks guys, you are the best.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:23 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by dgjk' date='Oct 26 2005, 08:22 PM
OK, let me see if I got it now.? Leave them both on unless I get stuck, then turn DSC off.? And since I have a steep driveway I shold turn it off prior to trying to go up when the weather is bad.? This will allow a little wheelspin.? Thanks guys, you are the best.
[snapback]189206[/snapback]
Yep, you've got it.

Now, keep in mind that with an xi, you'll encounter difficult situations a lot less than your non-xi counterparts: you may find that you might not need to disable DSC at all.

Quick Reply: DTC/DSC