E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DSC vs. DTC

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

We know that Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is a suspension control system which goes beyond the single components of Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Cornering Brake Control (CBC) and Automatic Stability Control + Traction (ASC + T). DSC constantly compares vehicle speed, wheel speed, steering angle, and yaw rate with a benchmark of plausible and optimum driving conditions' data.

We also know that Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) allows for sports-style driving dynamics even when DSC is controlling stability and when wheel traction is higher. Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system that can be turned on and off. DTC has two major uses: to regulate traction and to enable sports-style driving while providing active stability control.

In simple terms, how and why do you use these features? What remarkable experiences have you had with these components?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by juris335' post='907298' date='Jun 10 2009, 09:42 PM
We know that Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is a suspension control system which goes beyond the single components of Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Cornering Brake Control (CBC) and Automatic Stability Control + Traction (ASC + T). DSC constantly compares vehicle speed, wheel speed, steering angle, and yaw rate with a benchmark of plausible and optimum driving conditions' data.

We also know that Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) allows for sports-style driving dynamics even when DSC is controlling stability and when wheel traction is higher. Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system that can be turned on and off. DTC has two major uses: to regulate traction and to enable sports-style driving while providing active stability control.

In simple terms, how and why do you use these features? What remarkable experiences have you had with these components?
I usually keep activate my DTC when coming out of a corner because if I don't, the car bogs down. I have only turned off DSC once when I was in a wet parking lot It's very easy to break the car loose, especially with cruddy RF tires. Although, I can't get the car to break loose from a dead stop with the roads now being as hot as they are.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I can vouch for the DSC on my E60, on track its much more refined and less willing to interfere than the system was on my old E46, within 2 corners at the track in the E46 you could tell the system was "live" and interfering with the dynamics, very harsh implementation, where on the E60 you had to really start over driving and abusing the car for a hint of DSC to kick in, personally I never use the systems on track but I do like to test them out and see what they are capable of

The DTC on the other hand is a pain in the ass, far too sensitive still, , how they can justify completely cutting the throttle in a situation where your pulling out of a junction and cant afford to be "dead in the water" I dont know, I would personally rather have a little wheelspin with the system blending in my overly aggressive throttle input, dropping to stage 2 improves the situation a great deal but its still hardly acceptable.

I generally drive on the road with the systems fully active, they work, when I feel sporty I turn the system completly off, the only time I have used stage 2 is when we had some bad snow, in which it worked really well actually.