E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='857111' date='Apr 23 2009, 09:54 PM
So, if I were to push the DSC button in and hold it for 3 sec. how do I get it back to normal after that?
+1
Old 04-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='857111' date='Apr 23 2009, 09:54 PM
So, if I were to push the DSC button in and hold it for 3 sec. how do I get it back to normal after that?
Press it one more time...you will see the "DSC OFF" icon go out DSC Mode-dsc_off.gif
Old 04-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='856963' date='Apr 23 2009, 07:13 PM
Well maybe its semantics but with wheel slippage, traction control is off in my 'book'. (the hypothetical 'book' not BMW manual...I'll have to read that later but I don't doubt that's what it says)
Correct. Sort of. For normal traction control. But DTC is a dynamic traction control allowing wheel slippage. You turn DTC on to enable the "dynamic" portion that allows wheel slippage. At least that's my take. And the BMW Performance Center folks IIRC.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='857157' date='Apr 23 2009, 10:45 PM
Correct. Sort of. For normal traction control. But DTC is a dynamic traction control allowing wheel slippage. You turn DTC on to enable the "dynamic" portion that allows wheel slippage. At least that's my take. And the BMW Performance Center folks IIRC.
Well I agree that turning ON the DTC mode allows the wheels to spin (much like a car with no traction control) And looking in my 2005 manual it refers to turning ON the DTC mode but then goes on to describe "Deactivating DTC and DSC together" which I consider OFF. Maybe something got lost in translation.

I guess the point is if ya gonna mess with the buttons you have to know what it does!!! I wouldn't want someone to think that by pressing the DTC button you are turning ON a system that stops your wheels spinning or gets you magically out of trouble!

With DTC illuminated on your dash...your wheels will spin but the car will still try to keep it from fishtailing (I know, I tried it)
With that DTC\DSC symbol on the dash your wheels can spin AND your car will fishtail if you push it too far, its in your hands only!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 Audi S4

i never messed with the DTC or DSC before gonna have to try it when i get my car back
Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='857262' date='Apr 23 2009, 11:45 PM
Well I agree that turning ON the DTC mode allows the wheels to spin (much like a car with no traction control) And looking in my 2005 manual it refers to turning ON the DTC mode but then goes on to describe "Deactivating DTC and DSC together" which I consider OFF. Maybe something got lost in translation.

I guess the point is if ya gonna mess with the buttons you have to know what it does!!! I wouldn't want someone to think that by pressing the DTC button you are turning ON a system that stops your wheels spinning or gets you magically out of trouble!

With DTC illuminated on your dash...your wheels will spin but the car will still try to keep it from fishtailing (I know, I tried it)
With that DTC\DSC symbol on the dash your wheels can spin AND your car will fishtail if you push it too far, its in your hands only!

That clears it up.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package Limo Tinted, Heads up display, Fully Loaded Minus Cold Weather Package and Rear window Sunshades.

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='857312' date='Apr 23 2009, 09:21 PM
That clears it up.

Okay I am missing something here.. when I push the button 1 time. DTC Acitvates... doesn't that allow for better traction???

If not... Then why when you press it says not to go over a certain speed like 45mph? and the car feels more sluggish? I was driving in a snowstorm once.. And was losing control going up this crazy hill... I popped on DTC and had much better traction control. (I was doing no more than 15mph btw)

Also I have experience with this a lot. I can't count how many times I have turned off DSC, and took some crazy corners.... Or some show stopping u-turns with the gas floored haha (Don't try this without experience btw)
Old 04-24-2009, 05:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jrowe' post='857425' date='Apr 24 2009, 06:08 AM
Okay I am missing something here.. when I push the button 1 time. DTC Acitvates... doesn't that allow for better traction???

If not... Then why when you press it says not to go over a certain speed like 45mph? and the car feels more sluggish? I was driving in a snowstorm once.. And was losing control going up this crazy hill... I popped on DTC and had much better traction control. (I was doing no more than 15mph btw)

Also I have experience with this a lot. I can't count how many times I have turned off DSC, and took some crazy corners.... Or some show stopping u-turns with the gas floored haha (Don't try this without experience btw)
When you start the car and 'DTC mode' is not 'activated' if your wheels slip then the car's computer will reduce the power going to the wheels until it gets to a point where there is traction. In some conditions like snow it might result in most of the power being reduced and you would no nowhere, by letting the wheels spin your probably removing the top layers on the surface until you get traction. When I've tried this on my snow covered driveway I've been left with a track of bare asphalt where the wheels spun and cleared it. Wheel spin at 45mph is a bit more dramatic than at 15 so I would guess this is just a warning to not drift in this car! I've never felt the sluggishness with 'DTC mode' activated. With DTC/DSC left in it's default mode I've felt it be more sluggish, because its reducing the power to the wheels if it detects sliding. I was told after my remap to switch DTC/DCS off to really appreciate the extra horsepower (from the remap, no extra hp by pressing the button, I wish!!!).

My commute to work is just on minor back roads that don't get plowed right away, this past winter I got to experience DCS functioning the whole way to the office it's a little like you point the car in the direction you want to go and someone else is controlling the throttle. There were a few intersections where I would have to press DTC and spin the wheels to get any traction at all....next winter snow tires!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Contributors

BMW recommends a single press of the button when driving in the snow (DTC). This mode is still worthless though if you are trying to accelerage quickly on a dry road. For best straight line performace and when you want to actually drive your own car (not the computer) you have to shut everything down.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

My first attempt with both off had me drifting on an S-curve in my subdivision. I was quite surprised when the rear wheels came around under power and that is only with a 525i. I could only imaging what would happen with the better versions(535 & up).

If DSC is off and you are not experienced with how to handle a car slide, make sure you have room to work with as the car will break loose. An empty parking lot would be a good place to test it out.

I do find that DTC can hold the car back a lot when pulling out onto a highway. I definitely feel the power loss when DTC kicks in.

Quick Reply: DSC Mode