E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DSC DTC and Standing Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Limited Slip means more traction, more traction means more torque. Ask any drag racer.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Hey Rudy,

Thanks for the multiple quotes tip.

The limited slip is really NOT that important considering that the electronics (when active) pretty much help. However, when playing around with Acceleration Assit (which is rather infrequent) it would be a nice thing to have. If I ever start taking my car on some road courses again it would also be nice. For 98% of the time, I'd say it really doesn't matter. But there is always that 2%.
And Yes, I do enjoy my car - I can't wipe the stupid smile off of my face whenever I'm driving it. It is by far the best car I've owned (OK, leased... whatever).
I guess I was/am just letting the other members (who may care) know that there is no limited slip.

BTW, 2 big black strips are much better than one .
Old 09-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Gotcha.

You must have stock in Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin, etc. I have enough trouble getting the tires to last without intentionally tearing them up!

As far as the torque, I don't think there's more of it, it's just distributed more evenly across two wheels instead of one, right?
Old 09-30-2004, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Sep 30 2004, 06:03 AM
I think you mean Wheel, not wheels.
I have yet to get more than one wheel to spin.
Unless one can get Both wheels spinning, your break out/oversteer just 'aint gonna happen!
[snapback]39571[/snapback]

Actually I meant wheels, because if you are on an even surface and the car and the steering wheel are straightened out you can get both wheels to spin. In that case, yes, no oversteering! But usually you don't have an even surface and you're not straight, so the car oversteers and you only burn one tire...
Since you usually oversteer and burn one tire I wrote the warning... And if not, you're doing it perfectly right and then it is wheels!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Sep 29 2004, 09:36 AM
[quote name='yogibear458' date='Sep 28 2004, 10:21 PM']AFter 1 week of ownership... I'm still puzzled with a couple things:

3.? pg 88 - Standing Lamps (left and right)
I played with this and the Pathway lighting.? I understand the Pathway lighting but disappointed that when I return and unlock the car, the Pathway lighting doesn't come on to greet me as my other cars do.

Any ideas, please?
[snapback]39136[/snapback]
As far as the pathway lighting goes, it does not turn on because it is supposed to light the path in front of you as you walk away from your car (theoretically in front of the car, it doesn't help walking from the rear). Now if they came on when you unlocked the doors instead of assisting you it would blind you. You wouldn't be able to see if there was anything around your car and if you park on the street you would not be able to see oncoming traffic with 2 Xenon lights blaring in your face.

Hope this helps on the pathway lighting question.
[snapback]39217[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, there are two "pathway lighting" functions: one is to turn on the headlights so you can see in front of the car, say to illuminate your driveway when walking to your house, which is switched on using the headlight flasher after the car is turned off (and it stays on for the set number of seconds in I-drive). Those lights do not come on again when returning to the car and unlocking it with the remote. The other lights are shining down from the side mirrors to illuminate where you step out of the car and come on when you open the door (presumably so you can see a big puddle that you don't want to step into). These lights also stay on for the set number of seconds, and they DO come on as well when remotely unlocking the car, so you again see where you step as you get in.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PeterF' date='Oct 7 2004, 05:55 AM
Actually, there are two "pathway lighting" functions: one is to turn on the headlights so you can see in front of the car, say to illuminate your driveway when walking to your house, which is switched on using the headlight flasher after the car is turned off (and it stays on for the set number of seconds in I-drive). Those lights do not come on again when returning to the car and unlocking it with the remote.? The other lights are shining down from the side mirrors to illuminate where you step out of the car and come on when you open the door (presumably so you can see a big puddle that you don't want to step into). These lights also stay on for the set number of seconds, and they DO come on as well when remotely unlocking the car, so you again see where you step as you get in.
that's what i thought. the first lighting you mentioned just like mercedes. it stays on for the set time and off automatically. i tried to set the time in idrive when i first p/u the car but nothing happened . i think i need to ask my service advisor next week when i take my car in. the second lighting is working normal.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Oct 7 2004, 11:17 PM
[quote name='PeterF' date='Oct 7 2004, 05:55 AM']Actually, there are two "pathway lighting" functions: one is to turn on the headlights so you can see in front of the car, say to illuminate your driveway when walking to your house, which is switched on using the headlight flasher after the car is turned off (and it stays on for the set number of seconds in I-drive). Those lights do not come on again when returning to the car and unlocking it with the remote.? The other lights are shining down from the side mirrors to illuminate where you step out of the car and come on when you open the door (presumably so you can see a big puddle that you don't want to step into). These lights also stay on for the set number of seconds, and they DO come on as well when remotely unlocking the car, so you again see where you step as you get in.
that's what i thought. the first lighting you mentioned just like mercedes. it stays on for the set time and off automatically. i tried to set the time in idrive when i first p/u the car but nothing happened . i think i need to ask my service advisor next week when i take my car in. the second lighting is working normal.
[snapback]42260[/snapback]
[/quote]
Did youtried to pull the lever after the car was off? Then the lights should come on and stay for the set time...
Old 10-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ice,
What lever are you referring to?
I have the same situation as Hawai'ian although I set the pathway lighting to 40s.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

You pull the lever to your left towards you, as if you were to flash your long dist. beams.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Oct 7 2004, 11:36 AM
Did youtried to pull the lever after the car was off? Then the lights should come on and stay for the set time...
[snapback]42269[/snapback]

Originally Posted by paasan' date='Oct 7 2004, 01:28 PM
You pull the lever to your left towards you, as if you were to flash your long dist. beams.
[snapback]42313[/snapback]
no, i didn't. does it mean i have to pull it every time, unlike the mercedes ?

Quick Reply: DSC DTC and Standing Lamps