E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DSC+ braking system

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 03:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Autoexpress this week announces that the new light 6 cyl engines are in production in the 5. Not sure if that's exactly true, as I'm not sure when production begins. But is does confirm there will be 3 engines using the same light alloy block. 523i, 525i, and 530i.

OK, the light engine is not new news.

The small article does also mention

Other innovations include the firm's advanced new DSC+ braking system
So my questions are:

1) what is DSC+ (is this exciting and important)
2) when was it introduced (does my MY05 have this already, or is it very very new)

Maybe waiting for the new light engine has more benefits that just the engine.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Hmmm, I've found some answers. A bit disappointing for all those just taken delivery of their car. And devastating news for those about to take delivery, but not got the new light engine.

Quote from carpages

The new six-cylinder engine incorporates DSC+. This advanced safety system hones the already accomplished Dynamic Stability Control system featured on every BMW model. DSC+ adds five features to the standard DSC: Brake Standby, Rain Brake Support, Hill Start Assist, Fading Compensation and Soft Stop.

The DSC+ system makes its debut on the new 5 Series models and will appear on other BMW models in the future. In addition, Servotronic speed-proportional power steering becomes standard on 5 Series Saloon models, having previously been offered as standard equipment on Touring variants. Prices and full specifications for all the new 5 Series models will be announced shortly.
So, this does sound like a lot of changes have happened. Odd for this to happen mid-year. New engine, new braking system, servotronic added, and different pricing. Sounds like BMW are either hurting from the current US exhcange rate, and need good reason to revise it, or sales of the 5 are poor and need an urgent injection of excitement.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Jan 16 2005, 12:08 PM
Brake Standby, Rain Brake Support, Hill Start Assist, Fading Compensation and Soft Stop.
From TuningNews:

Ensuring that the power and torque remain in check is the responsibility of the new DSC+ system (on six-cylinder models - standard DSC on four-cylinder models). Effectively an evolution of the familiar DSC traction control system, DSC+ offers a range of benefits, including Brake Standby that pre-tensions the brakes when the driver quickly removes the pressure from the accelerator pedal. Soft Stop is also incorporated which modulates the brake application to prevent the nose of the car from 'diving' when travelling slowly. Also included in DSC+ is a Start-Off Assistant that uses the clutch to prevent the car from rolling back on a hill-start and a brake detector that ensures the discs are kept dry and responsive on wet roads.

And TopGear:

Brake Standby - primes brakes for emergencies
Rain Brake Support - keeps brake discs dry
Hill Start Assist - prevents rolling on gradients
Fading Compensation - counteracts overheating
Soft Stop - brings the car to a gentle halt
Old 01-16-2005, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Jan 16 2005, 04:08 AM
Hmmm, I've found some answers. A bit disappointing for all those just taken delivery of their car.
Disappointing indeed! :'(
Old 01-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Jan 16 2005, 08:43 AM
Rain Brake Support - keeps brake discs dry
The Maybach does this.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

"Soft Stop" - preventing the front of the car from "dipping" - is IMHO a really lame feature. If you've driven a car for more than a month, you should be very able to stop the car without letting the front dip!

My guess is that MAYBE the DSC system will be improved with a very weak "force feedback" engine that is added to the steering to prevent over- and understeer. It is supposed to be easily overridden by the driver, but should be powerful enough to lead the driver into moving the steering wheel correctly to prevent "skidding" on slippery surfaces. At least I've read in AMS (auto motor und sport) that this is supposedly being introduced on the E90 and the new VW Passat.

Is it just me - or are these cars becoming a little bit over-protective? Sure sounds like a good security measure - but it better be possible to switch everything off, as it is today.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by brent' date='Jan 16 2005, 10:24 PM
[quote name='colejl' date='Jan 16 2005, 08:43 AM']Rain Brake Support - keeps brake discs dry
The Maybach does this.
[snapback]79829[/snapback]
[/quote]
It better does for that price!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jan 16 2005, 11:41 PM
[quote name='brent' date='Jan 16 2005, 10:24 PM'][quote name='colejl' date='Jan 16 2005, 08:43 AM']Rain Brake Support - keeps brake discs dry
The Maybach does this.
[snapback]79829[/snapback]
[/quote]
It better does for that price!
[snapback]79856[/snapback]
[/quote]
Indeed. It's a car you want to be a passenger in, not drive

The big question is whether DSC+ is a software controlled thing or there's some physical differences? Perhaps V17 has it...
Old 01-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Senior Members

Sounds like the new 3 series has these functions too. Along with the steering. And keyless ignition.

So unless BMW update now, the 5 will be the "poor mans" BMW, in terms of standard features.

Anyway, these braking enhancements sould very much like what my brain aleady does. So not a lot of real benefit. But if a software update will do this, great.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I hope they can do it with a software update.. But I think it is a new DSC computer if you want to have it updated..

Quick Reply: DSC+ braking system