E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DSC ; DTC

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My Cars: 2004 545i Black with Balck | 6 Speed Manual | Sports Package | Moon Roof | Adaptive Steering | Smoking Package | Cold Weather Package | Adaptive Xenon | Premium Sound, LOGIC7 | Hard Wired V1 | AUX Input | Only 13K Miles! 2001 530i Green with Tan | Sport Package | Streptronic | Moon Roof | SOLD 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L (Beat my 530i off the line until about 40 MPH) | SOLD 1981 320i destroyed Other family members cars: 2008 Yukon Denali Black with Black 2007 Aston Martin DB9 Cabriolet Black with Black 2006 Mercedes G55 Black with Black | 2004 Yukon XL Denali Black with Tan | 2003 BMW X5 3.0 Silver with Black | Every option available | 2001 Porsche C4 Cabriolet Silver with Black | 6 Speed Manual | 1958 Austin Mini Green with Black Interior 67k Miles, Fully restored in 2003 | Beach Car
Thumbs up

In my car, 04 545i, I have noticed that I can turn the DSC to reduced control or completely off. But it leaves the DTC on. Can anyone explain what the DSC is and what the DTC beyond the actual names and to their functions. Is there any yaw control in the 545?

Feel free to elaborate on all topics related to the DSC, DTC and breaking assist.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

DSC on is yaw control and extreme traction control (DSC on).

DTC on is less traction control and less yaw control possibly only because there is less traction control (DTC on).

Both off is supposed to be neither traction control nor yaw control (press and hold DTC button for a few seconds until the triangles show up in the instrument cluster).

Unfortunately, in principle, one cannot completely disable traction control while leaving most, if not all, yaw control active.

On my car, in fact, I am positive that some yaw control remains even with both DSC and DTC off. That would be fine if it turned out that traction control is mostly muted. But, it appears to me that an overly aggressive amount of traction control, probably for purposes of engine/tranny salvation, also remains under 20.01.00--which is most annoying.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='265316' date='Apr 6 2006, 06:17 AM
On my car, in fact, I am positive that some yaw control remains even with both DSC and DTC off. That would be fine if it turned out that traction control is mostly muted. But, it appears to me that an overly aggressive amount of traction control, probably for purposes of engine/tranny salvation, also remains under 20.01.00--which is most annoying.
Answer to wingfan919: Znod's got it.

But are you sure Znod, that still some electronic control stays on even if you take them both off?
Could it just be the softness of the system or is there maybe a safecontrol?
The car could have some anti-self-catastrophe mode.

Why not, sounds even logical.
If a car has a four year warranty in the US and cars with strong V8's could (and for sure is)
driven to the edge...

But still something is missing.
The dudes in Europe chip their R6 diesels to huge torgue values.

As we know, the ripping power kills transmissions but the torgue will do it fore sure, in a while...
Old 04-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='265638' date='Apr 6 2006, 04:12 PM
Answer to wingfan919: Znod's got it.

But are you sure Znod, that still some electronic control stays on even if you take them both off?
Could it just be the softness of the system or is there maybe a safecontrol?
The car could have some anti-self-catastrophe mode.

Why not, sounds even logical.
If a car has a four year warranty in the US and cars with strong V8's could (and for sure is)
driven to the edge...

But still something is missing.
The dudes in Europe chip their R6 diesels to huge torgue values.

As we know, the ripping power kills transmissions but the torgue will do it fore sure, in a while...
Hi Rr:

I am sure that some residual effects remain on my car after turning both off. I have observed the car mute a small fishtail, and I have seen it shift very early after it thought too much wheel spin had occurred (actually a relatively small amount). Fail safes would be OK, but what happens on my car is way over zealous.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='265896' date='Apr 7 2006, 05:11 PM
Hi Rr:

I am sure that some residual effects remain on my car after turning both off. I have observed the car mute a small fishtail, and I have seen it shift very early after it thought too much wheel spin had occurred (actually a relatively small amount). Fail safes would be OK, but what happens on my car is way over zealous.
Dear Znod,

Could this be worth asking from the factory?

In my car I can't really feel that any restrictions
would be on.

Of course the engine has its rpm limiter but that's it.
Could it have something to do with the autotrans programming?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='265316' date='Apr 6 2006, 05:17 AM
You are absolutely right about DSC staying active on the E60. I sometimes like to slide my car around, (wet roundabouts and wet parking lots have that effect on me) but I am positive that at some drift angles, combined with revs and accelerator position DSC intervenes. At some speeds it is almost impossible to get the car into a tidy slide although it IS possible to lose control all together.

PS: for all you safety conscious treehuggers out there ( ), I only have this kind of fun when I am alone in the car and when there is absolutely no one around.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I have heard that also - that traction control is never fully off on the American Cars.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='265899' date='Apr 7 2006, 09:20 AM
Dear Znod,

Could this be worth asking from the factory?

In my car I can't really feel that any restrictions
would be on.

Of course the engine has its rpm limiter but that's it.
Could it have something to do with the autotrans programming?
I have a PUMA case going, but no solution yet.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jsal' post='266148' date='Apr 7 2006, 05:35 PM
I have heard that also - that traction control is never fully off on the American Cars.
It was off on my car under 19.01.01. But, dumb and trusting me updated to 20.01.00 to get MP3, and now I can't shut the nanny all the way off. But, others have not had this experience when updating to 20.01.00.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='266303' date='Apr 8 2006, 12:00 PM
It was off on my car under 19.01.01. But, dumb and trusting me updated to 20.01.00 to get MP3, and now I can't shut the nanny all the way off. But, others have not had this experience when updating to 20.01.00.
How could that be dumb?

I'm running with the 19.2 and the car works just perfect.

If I didn't get you wrong you also have a stock car.

The fact is I'm really not giving my low powered car any punish,
except for some overtaking i.e. when needed.
In everyday driving the car responses highly satisfactory.
The really ice roads tells me a lot.

If I don't sell my 18" RF's next week, I will burn out the Dunlop RF's,
finding out something about the cars electronics...

Quick Reply: DSC ; DTC