E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Drove in the snow this week.... Wow

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Summer tires are illegal during the winter months in some parts. If you plan on driving during snowy weather I suggest the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. Good luck
Old 01-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

I suggest the Continental Conti Winter Viking 2 studded tyres.. they rock
Old 01-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I got caught as well with a scheduled rain that turned into snow, not very deep but had to abandon the car overnight. Not a pleasant feeling.
Another problem we face here in Metro NY is other drivers are brain numb, when they approach a hill they stop at the bottom then get stuck trying to start up again and of course if you are behind them and you have the sport package, you are stuck too.
I haven't gotten snow tires because I really like how the 275-35/18's look in the rear and even though Tire Rack and others list snow tires in this size they can never get them.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

We can now see why the Finns make the best Rallie drivers, snow & lots of it!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Did you turn DTC on and start the car off in second gear instead of 1st? did it help at all? I know its mainly due to the tires but wondering if you set the car up properly to try its very best.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by strobeguy' post='230640' date='Jan 27 2006, 11:05 PM
I had an unfortunate situation where predicted rain turned out to be snow. I would have taken our SUV out of town but want a smooth 4 hour ride. As it turns out my 545 with sport package absolutely SUCKS in the snow. I have lived in the northeast all my life and know how to drive in the snow. The car with sport package with brand new (free) runflats got stuck on a slight incline which caused me to hold up traffic. Lost what little traction it had while crawling in traffic and was a bear to get started when at a complete start. I never could imagine a car being so bad. I have 2 4x4s which are daily drivers and should have read the weather a bit better. I can't imagine anyone having to drive year round in this car with bad weather.
I agree your drive was certainly not very comfortable with sport RFT tires on snow !! :'(

But in such conditions, I'd prefer my E60 with good winter tires than any 4X4 with big summer tires ! Last night we got some more snow here, and as the temperature was very low, it was very icy & slippery. We were coming back from the restaurant with a friend driving his Range Rover, and me my E60. He couldn't follow me ! No brakes at all & very very poor control ! He went allmost twice off the road without be able to do anything ! What a great moment ! Maybe it was the champagne that made me laugh like a mad while he was trying to keep his Range Rover on the road !!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by paasan' post='230682' date='Jan 28 2006, 12:00 AM
I suggest the Continental Conti Winter Viking 2 studded tyres.. they rock
Waouh ! Studs should be very efficient ! With so much grip on ice, it's more dangerous to walk on the road !

With normal winter tires, because of the auto gearbox, the rear of my 530D is always pushing the front, causing massive understeering. So I have to use the handbrake to make the car oversteer before the turn. And with so much torque, it's easy to keep the car in a beautyfull slide the whole corner (of course with all stuff OFF) ! Funny, but I guess you are twice as fast as me with your studded nordic tires .. without even the slightest slipping !

But do you also have some understeering with your studded tires ??

PS : Only on snow I'd prefer a manual gearbox than auto ...
Old 01-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Senior Members

On wet, icy surfaces I tend to notice some understeer. Generally the studs allow for pretty decent acceleration and better top speeds. Recently drove 1000 km through Sweden on my way to Oslo, and with stable weather (never above -10'C), traction was perfect and I was able to maintain an average speed of about 95 km/h, even on completely snow covered roads. Best thing is its pretty safe with the studs.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by paasan' post='230755' date='Jan 28 2006, 03:11 AM
On wet, icy surfaces I tend to notice some understeer. Generally the studs allow for pretty decent acceleration and better top speeds. Recently drove 1000 km through Sweden on my way to Oslo, and with stable weather (never above -10'C), traction was perfect and I was able to maintain an average speed of about 95 km/h, even on completely snow covered roads. Best thing is its pretty safe with the studs.
Are they completely studded, or only on the inner or outer side of the tire ? Could you please post a picture ?
Old 01-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Members

I did not mean to start a debate between 2 and 4 wheel drives. Yes how the car is setup depends how it will handle certain conditions. All I was stating is the the BMW in its natural state sucks on snow. Yes I agree adding snow tires, studs, and having all wheel drive will make a difference but for those who don't have that the car is not as good off the showroom floor as say a Jeep Liberty or in my case my Dodge Dakota. A driver who knows how to handle snow is important too.

Quick Reply: Drove in the snow this week.... Wow