E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Drove in the snow this week.... Wow

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an unfortunate situation where predicted rain turned out to be snow. I would have taken our SUV out of town but want a smooth 4 hour ride. As it turns out my 545 with sport package absolutely SUCKS in the snow. I have lived in the northeast all my life and know how to drive in the snow. The car with sport package with brand new (free) runflats got stuck on a slight incline which caused me to hold up traffic. Lost what little traction it had while crawling in traffic and was a bear to get started when at a complete start. I never could imagine a car being so bad. I have 2 4x4s which are daily drivers and should have read the weather a bit better. I can't imagine anyone having to drive year round in this car with bad weather.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

that is why we use good winter tires in winter.... especially with rear wheel drive....
however I must admit E60 on snow is nothing pleasant...
I'm definitely checking for weather constantly to avoid heavy snow rides even with the best winter tires.
But I must admit that with good winter tires and the great E60 electronics one would probably did not get stuck in uphill like you have............... trust me it was mostly due to your summer tires.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

strobeguy,

You don't knoe s**t about winter driving.

With good winter tires and experienced driver, you could not have more fun.

I defeat FWD cars all the time around here.

Just push off the DSC and enjoy!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='230648' date='Jan 27 2006, 05:13 PM
strobeguy,

You don't knoe s**t about winter driving.

With good winter tires and experienced driver, you could not have more fun.

I defeat FWD cars all the time around here.

Just push off the DSC and enjoy!
how exactly do I enjoy my ass flying from left to right while other cars and city street lights around?

empty parking lot that is a different story
Old 01-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Members

I would beg to differ but with that I had to work with the car is not very good. To say a 2 wheel drive is better in snow than a 4x4 is not a correct statement. But then again what to I "knoe"
Old 01-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

My 2005 545 is GREAT in the snow, but I have winter run flats ... the summer runflats are deadly in the snow, but why would you even ever think of using summers in snow
Old 01-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by strobeguy' post='230658' date='Jan 27 2006, 05:21 PM
I would beg to differ but with that I had to work with the car is not very good. To say a 2 wheel drive is better in snow than a 4x4 is not a correct statement. But then again what to I "knoe"
it depends on the tires.... 4x4 with summer tires is actually not much better than a 2 wheel drive.
In fact 2 wheel drive car with nice winter tires is much better then 4x4 with summer tires.....

One I had changed my winter to summer tires on my 4x4 Audi too early in the spring.... the snow came again... the car was uncontrolable with those super sport huge summer tires.......
with the winter ones it was an ultimate snowmobile....
Old 01-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

[/quote]
how exactly do I enjoy my ass flying from left to right while other cars and city street lights around?
[/quote]

Been driving RWD's since 1972!

My ass never moves in the seat,
even whatever the car does!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Contributors

[/quote]

Been driving RWD's since 1972!

My ass never moves in the seat,
even whatever the car does!
[/quote]

I meant the car's ass
Old 01-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

My 545 sport is the worst snow and ice car I've ever contemplated. It's like a death machine. I just leave it parked.

Quick Reply: Drove in the snow this week.... Wow