E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DRL and Tail welcome lights not lighting up

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013 | 08:23 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport
Default DRL and Tail welcome lights not lighting up

I have owned the 2010 535 since July. When unlocking the car, the DRLs, the tail lights, license plate lamps and side mirror lights would come on. I installed Mtec V3 LED in September last year. Liked the white color look. Have had no problems, no malfunction messages.

Yesterday I noticed that when I unlocked the car, the DRLs and Tail lights didnt light up. The DRLs did light up when the vehicle was on and the tails appeared to work. I have checked Idrive and all the right options are chosen. What could be the issue here? Thanks.

Last edited by plowery21; 04-15-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-15-2013 | 09:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by plowery21
I have owned the 2010 535 since July. When unlocking the car, the DRLs, the tail lights, license plate lamps and side mirror lights. I installed Mtec V3 LED in September last year. Liked the whiter color look. Have had no problems, no malfunction messages.

Yesterday I noticed that when I unlocked the car, the DRLs and Tail lights didnt light up. The DRLs did light up when the vehicle was on and the tails appeared to work. I have checked Idrive and all the right options are chosen. What could be the issue here? Thanks.
More info..Blinkers flash and lights under side mirrors still light up, just the tail lights and DRLs that used to come on and increase with brightness and then fade out after the selected 40 seconds in the Idrive menu that dont work right now.

DRLs and tails work normally during driving, just absent on the welcome lights function.
Old 04-15-2013 | 10:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 535i M-Sport Package M Double Spoke 135 Wheels Shadowline Trim Xenon Adaptive Headlights HID LED AE Anthracite Headliner

I have the same model e60 like you do. Been through this before and the short answer is "your light switch must be on A" position. I believe the DRL and welcome light will stay on until the pre-programmed time in iDrive.
Old 04-15-2013 | 10:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Black Thunder
I have the same model e60 like you do. Been through this before and the short answer is "your light switch must be on A" position. I believe the DRL and welcome light will stay on until the pre-programmed time in iDrive.
Switch is in the Auto position "A". Has been since I purchased the car. Will switch it around and see if that wakes them up. Thanks
Old 04-15-2013 | 02:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Switch is in the Auto position "A". Has been since I purchased the car. Will switch it around and see if that wakes them up. Thanks
No luck, still no welcome lights from the DRLs, Tails, or the license plate lamps. Seems to be the three functions that would fade on and then fade off, while the blinkers and side mirror lights still do what they are supposed to do. Is there a fuse for this? Any idea appreciated. I just rolled past 50K so I would have to pay the diagnostic fee at a minimum under the CPO warranty.
Old 04-16-2013 | 08:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Each vehicle key has it's settings profile. Are you using a different key?

Check I-Drive -> Menu -> Settings -> Lighting -> Welcome light
Old 04-16-2013 | 12:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vkhong
Each vehicle key has it's settings profile. Are you using a different key?

Check I-Drive -> Menu -> Settings -> Lighting -> Welcome light
Same key since I purchased the car. Idrive has been checked numerous times. There are only two options, On or Off, along with the time length of welcome lights in seconds. This has to be a malfunction of the system.. It appears only half of the function is working as the mirror lights and interior lights illuminate and the blinkers flash, but the DRLs, tails, and plate lights do not light up at all. No error messages at all.

Any ideas?? Is there a fuse to track down? Could the LED AEs be causing a problem? Could a module be bad?
Old 04-16-2013 | 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530i

If a module was bad, I don't think that the functions that are working would currently work. So I highly doubt your LM (light module) is bad. A fuse does not control behavior it controls a physical line. The behavior is controlled by software and the inputs you feed it. If you have done no coding then there is nothing that could have changed. Unless you took it to the dealer and they changed something on accident without informing you. I think there must be some variable that you're not thinking of. so ask yourself these questions?

When did this last work properly?
What has changed since then?
Did you lend car to anyone? Take it anywhere for service/inspection?
Old 04-16-2013 | 02:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
If a module was bad, I don't think that the functions that are working would currently work. So I highly doubt your LM (light module) is bad. A fuse does not control behavior it controls a physical line. The behavior is controlled by software and the inputs you feed it. If you have done no coding then there is nothing that could have changed. Unless you took it to the dealer and they changed something on accident without informing you. I think there must be some variable that you're not thinking of. so ask yourself these questions?

When did this last work properly?
What has changed since then?
Did you lend car to anyone? Take it anywhere for service/inspection?
Achtung, thanks for the response. I did have the car in for service on Tuesday last week under warranty, but I know it worked that night as I was showing my brother the car for the first time and it all worked then. Other than that Im at a loss. I think I will take it back to the dealer and have them look. I think its best to pull the LED AEs first but if that is what I need to do then I will. Thanks for the help eliminating the module and fuse. Much appreciated.
Old 04-16-2013 | 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Achtung, thanks for the response. I did have the car in for service on Tuesday last week under warranty, but I know it worked that night as I was showing my brother the car for the first time and it all worked then. Other than that Im at a loss. I think I will take it back to the dealer and have them look. I think its best to pull the LED AEs first but if that is what I need to do then I will. Thanks for the help eliminating the module and fuse. Much appreciated.
Good idea on pulling the LED AEs out first. Since you have lighting issues, they might initially blame it on that. Also, hopefully whatever problem you have would be covered under warranty.

Quick Reply: DRL and Tail welcome lights not lighting up