E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

driving through Europe

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

It's a great way to see Europe, downside is parking your car. The Euro train system is amazing and very economical and the sights are almost as good as the road.

GL
Old 03-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='819591' date='Mar 17 2009, 08:08 PM
They can't fine you according to your income, because they simply do not know what your income is. They can only do this to German citizens.
Oh yea, I didn't think of that.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

It would HAVE to be a great driving experience!!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

I picked up my last two porsches in Germany, and then drove pretty much the same itinerary you laid out. My thoughts echo most of the posts here with a few observations of my own.

I drove the autobahn between Munich and Berlin at speeds between 220 and 280 kph. And yes, I thought I could stay in the left lane for the duration and not be passed, but was on several occasions, They are nice about it though, usually you see this black or silver smudge on the horizon out your rearview mirror, and ten seconds later they are flashing their lights at you to move over. I found the most dangerous lane in Germany to be the center lane. Here is the real no mans land as you have people passing the horse drawn carriages in the right lane, with the idiots like me dropping out of hyperspace to allow the ubber 300+ kph to pass from the left lane. If you do get stopped, use this phrase: "was zum Teufel tat, ziehen Sie mich fur ya bier trinkend schwein-Poliizisten.?" This should get you just a warning.

You live in queens, so no need to lecture you about parking. It is impossible in the big cities, especially Berlin. The train system in Europe is second to none, so I found parking the car at the hotel and then just using the mass transit worked the best.

A few other thoughts, in Germany you rarely see an accident, but when you do, it is bad, and by that I mean the carcass of the car is barely recognizable. Germany and France have accident rates that are almost 50% less than US drivers, but the fatality rate is higher. So, less accidents, but the ones that occur are more deadly than what you might find in the states.

Take your trusty V1 radar detector, and make sure it is fully up to date. The Euros are real photo enforcement friendly, and the V1 really helps.

When all else fails, make sure you have a wad of cash (euros) and the number to every US embassy in the country you plan on visiting programmed into your phone.

In all seriousness, we have some beautiful country in the US, but I have to say Europe tops us in a lot of respects. The drive from Geneva to Interlocken Switzerland is like right out of a postcard. Baden-Baden to Munich, is out of this world. Take your time, and enjoy it all.

Stu
Old 03-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Contributors

One more thing to note about autobahn driving - truck traffic can have a serious impact on the flow by virtue of it generally moves all the cars one lane to the left as they overtake. At weekends though, most truck drivers don't work. I would say 90% of the trucks you'd see at the weekend are foreigners driving through the country. You'll generally only see a quarter of the normal truck traffic on the roads at weekends. Watch out in France if you're taking the toll-roads because between toll booths they can calculate your average speed and can "get you" from the ticket evidence (so I hear).
Old 03-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Senior Members

Just do it...

The Autobahn A7 between Hannover and Hamburg (a sweet summer night - Germany was playing a worldcup match = no traffic).
Attached Thumbnails driving through Europe-dsc03678.jpg   driving through Europe-dsc03681_lille.jpg  
Old 03-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Black E60 530i

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='819877' date='Mar 18 2009, 01:25 AM
One more thing to note about autobahn driving - truck traffic can have a serious impact on the flow by virtue of it generally moves all the cars one lane to the left as they overtake. At weekends though, most truck drivers don't work. I would say 90% of the trucks you'd see at the weekend are foreigners driving through the country. You'll generally only see a quarter of the normal truck traffic on the roads at weekends. Watch out in France if you're taking the toll-roads because between toll booths they can calculate your average speed and can "get you" from the ticket evidence (so I hear).
Truck trafic is limited in most of the Europe during weekends. They simply cant work Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and whole Sunday except some trucks, which are carying the goods, which may get damaged if they are not transported quicky (milk, vegetables ..) or they risk a really big fine. Also the average speed measuring is common in most europian countries, not just France, so be careful, when you see something like camera and lateral strip on the road, this is where such measured section begins or ends.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 AM
mja
Members

My Ride: Had: 530D 170kW Black 6MT

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='819556' date='Mar 18 2009, 12:36 AM
Nonsense... That's only in Finland, not in Germany.
Someone in my beloved home country was just fined ?112000 for speeding. He did 82kmh when the limit was 60. Had he done 80 or less, he would've gotten only ?115...

It's here, but unfortunately in Finnish http://www.aamulehti.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/yl...on-sakot/133576
Old 03-18-2009, 04:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by studavis' post='819787' date='Mar 17 2009, 11:59 PM
Take your trusty V1 radar detector, and make sure it is fully up to date. The Euros are real photo enforcement friendly, and the V1 really helps.
Make sure u have Ku band enabled tho.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

I own Passport radar detector 9500i. Does this work in Europe? Also, cigarette lighter and converter??

Quick Reply: driving through Europe