E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Driver's Cup Holder Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always said that those cupholder designs and placement is terrible. I used superglue once and my son pulled it off so I have to stick it back on again.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

Thanks for all of the comments. I'm off to O'Reilly's auto parts (first to pick up a QT of Castrol Synthetic for my baby (she's a quart law) and to pick up some heavy duty bonding agents to try to reattach the fascia.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Contributors

On my old E60 I used super glue and it was perfect. It is an easy item to replace if you want to just buy a new one, a couple screws on the inside panel when the cup holder is open (under black circular stickers) and a bit of Houdini magic.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

I used an epoxy twin syringe mixture I picked up at the auto parts store . . . and its applied easily and adhered perfectly . . . good as new (until someone knees it and knocks it off again). Once again, thanks to everyone for their comments, as the comments and real life experiences make this forum so valuable.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:48 AM
Members

Does anyone have a link for instruction to replace? I already have the replacement cupholder.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Here you go...from TIS..

Open front cup holder ?.
Release screws ? and remove front cup holder ? in direction of arrow.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Members

The fascia off of the cup holder on my car is missing. Can the fascia alone be purchased, or must one purchase the entire cup holder mechanism?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by one4thethumb
In a very freak occurrence, my daughter (while seated in the passenger seat) twisted around to speak to one of her friends in the back seat of my e60 and in the process her knee hit the driver's cup holder (which was open with a bottle of water in it) . . . and as a result of the force, she knocked (broke) the fascia off of the cup holder.

The fascia stays put until I open the cup holder, then with stops and starts of driving, the fascia falls off and I am not happy, as the dash looks cheesy with the cup holder fascia missing. I can probably affect a temporary fix with some double sided tape to at least get me through this week as I drive up to northern Michigan for 5 days of golf with friends.

Based on the look of things, it appears that the entire cup holder assembly will need to be replaced. Has anyone dealt with this dilemma? Is it an easy do it yourself fix? While I have yet to check, I have to think that the replacement unit is in the $100-200 range.

Thoughts and comments appreciated . . . and for the record, my daughter feels badly enough about the damage her knee did to the cup holder, there will be no repercussions for her (albeit careless)accident. Lord knows, I've broken more than my fair share of things over the years.
They make the assemblies out of black ABS plastic. The solvent cements that weld it back together contain methylene chloride - get it from a place that sells acrylic plastics (plexiglas), plumbing supplies, or a *good* hobby shop - Plastruct Plastic Weld or Tenax brand - you can mail order these from the manufacturers, or from Squadron Hobbies in Carrollton, TX : http://www.squadron.com/NoStock.asp?item=TN007

Methylene Chloride is a bit hazardous, so follow the instructions, and don't get any on you, and work in the open, so you don't breathe in too much of the fumes!