E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Drive belts replaced

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who here has their drive belts replaced? I tried to have my drive belts replaced today and I replaced the long belt the one for the Alternator, I just release the tensioner and that was it. I just replaced it, not a problem, the big problem is when I try to replace my A/C belt the smaller one the inside at the bottom, there is no tensioner for this belt, my tensioner is missing. According to the computer (all data) I should have one because other wise I can not remove it. Somehow its missing and I have only taken my car to the dealership, am I the only person with a missing A/c belt tensioner. Can you guys with 545 check if you have a tensioner on the bottom. I have one for the top but the bottom one is missing period. I only suspect that the dealer forgot to put it back on when they last serviced my vehicle how can I come about getting one back from the dealer.

The screw hole is there where you can install one but the tensioner is missing.

Help I want to make a complaint.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:01 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

See https://5series.net/forums/topic/922...i-drive-belts/

You are not the only one without an A/C belt tensioner. It's intentional. If there was a tensioner then the belt would be different size - BMW parts would know from your VIN.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the enough its a relief to know that my tensioner is not missing. But I can't imagine they make you go through all this to remove a simple belt when the tensioner would be a lot easier and effort less. I guess they want to make you buy a special tool.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Nav, Logic 7, sport pkg, premium pkg, sport seats, Hoen fogs, rear LED tail lights, super white license bulbs, heated front and rear seats, M-tech front and rear bumper covers, M5 trunks spoiler and finisher. Desiring euro xenon headlights.

Originally Posted by ivan545
Thanks for the enough its a relief to know that my tensioner is not missing. But I can't imagine they make you go through all this to remove a simple belt when the tensioner would be a lot easier and effort less. I guess they want to make you buy a special tool.

You are correct. There is a special tool required to install the AC belt on your car. I just recently purchased one to install the belt on my 2004 545i. The part costs about $120 from Gary at BMW of Newport. However, I was able to get it online for about $89 after s/h.

This part resembles a broad, flat, but small C-clamp. You kinda partially put the belt on one the larger pulley, then partially place it on the smaller pulley. You then lock the special tool on the pulley while the belt is on it, then manually turn the pulley until the belt "turns in to place" in the grooves of the pulley.

It's almost like when you was little and your bike chain came off bicycle and you had to turn the pedal until the chain went back into it gears.

BMW added the tensioner to the 2005 545i, and my mechanic informed me that I can actually purchase the tensioner and install it in the pre-existing threaded hole and purchase the larger belt. However, he said it did not make sense $$$ wise because you only may change the AC belt only about twice during the cars lifetime.

I am visiting family in N.Y. right now, however, when I return to Richmond, V.A. on Thursday I will post the part number.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545/SMG Sport Package HUD Logic 7 Bluetooth NAV Cold Weather Package

I have an 05 545i and I wonder where was my tensioner. I gave my VIN to Gary and he said mine did not have one.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

can you get the belt started, and just bump the starter?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Who here has their drive belts replaced? I tried to have my drive belts replaced today and I replaced the long belt the one for the Alternator, I just release the tensioner and that was it. I just replaced it, not a problem, the big problem is when I try to replace my A/C belt the smaller one the inside at the bottom, there is no tensioner for this belt, my tensioner is missing. According to the computer (all data) I should have one because other wise I can not remove it. Somehow its missing and I have only taken my car to the dealership, am I the only person with a missing A/c belt tensioner. Can you guys with 545 check if you have a tensioner on the bottom. I have one for the top but the bottom one is missing period. I only suspect that the dealer forgot to put it back on when they last serviced my vehicle how can I come about getting one back from the dealer.

The screw hole is there where you can install one but the tensioner is missing.

Help I want to make a complaint.

How did you release the tensioner? I have either a squeaking water pump or a tensioner. I am thinking of pulling the belt to see which is rough to turn. The squeaking is mostly when it is cold, but sometimes lasts 5 minutes. I have stopped driving my baby until I get this resolved...

Thanks,
John
Old 04-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

there's 2 belts. you need a t55(was a little loose but worked) torx to move the tensioner and release the main belt.

as for the ac belt, my 550i didnt have a tensioner. i just used my hand to move the belt to the side by the ac pump while i turned the engine via the large bolt on the crankshaft, and walked the belt off the pulley. putting the belt on was a little bit harder. set the belt good on the main pulley while trying to walk the belt on the ac pump while turning the engine. its kinda like getting the chain on and off your old single speed bike.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

I cant believe you have to buy a special tool from BMW just to replace a belt!! Some times you got to wonder, they do shit like that just so you cant work on your own car!! You know I bet BMW's would be 15% less expensive if BMW wasnt spending all this time supplying their dealers with special tools to fix their cars!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys
I cant believe you have to buy a special tool from BMW just to replace a belt!! Some times you got to wonder, they do shit like that just so you cant work on your own car!! You know I bet BMW's would be 15% less expensive if BMW wasnt spending all this time supplying their dealers with special tools to fix their cars!!!
read my post above yours. you dont need the special tool.

Quick Reply: Drive belts replaced